<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  YAO MING STATS ARE DECEIVING

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 7214Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
The thing here is that even if Dirk didn't outplay Yao, the Mavericks lost, so somebody in Dallas played better than Yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
jungle wrote:
yeah, i suppose yao's 33pts (?) was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggeeee factor in game 7.

If you think Yao's 33 point is worth nothing, I would want to know what you think of TMac's 27 points, or the REST OF THE TEAM'S 16 POINTS.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:02 pm
Posts: 647Location: downtown chicagoJoined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:48 pm
nowitzki sucked this series -- tmac and bowen made sure of that. so comparing the two teams' 7+ footers head-to-head, i guess yao more or less wins.

but yao's big game yesterday was pretty much irrelevant. i'm glad he came back stong after game 6. on the other hand, i'm suspecting the only reason why he did perform well was because there was no pressure on him. the game was pretty much a blow-out from the start. a few of my friends and family have also made that observation (independently, without my having mentioned this as well).

so strictly speaking, his game 7 performance really didn't redeem him at all for the game 6 disappearance. unfortunately, it just further builds his reputation as a soft player who lacks any kind of mental toughness, who has no ability to be an aggressor, and who cannot be a true crunch-time go-to guy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
maguro wrote:
so strictly speaking, his game 7 performance really didn't redeem him at all for the game 6 disappearance. unfortunately, it just further builds his reputation as a soft player who lacks any kind of mental toughness, who has no ability to be an aggressor, and who cannot be a true crunch-time go-to guy.

Yeah so he is soft, not aggressive and no crunch-time go-to guy eh ???

I'm totally disappointed with this statement of yours.

While everyone on the Rockets disappeared into 3Q/4Q, with JVG throwing in the towel even before 4Q started, with T-Mac sitting his @rse on the bench for the full 4Q, who was still there fight hard, running up and down the court ??

What can Yao do if the rest of the team dug out a big hole by 1H, and not doing what they did best in the sason, with T-Mac too eager to win to advance beyond Round 1 where he never managed to do so and forcing all kinds of shots without doing what he was best at i.e. passing and assisting in 1H, and all the other team mates that failed to step up, and let their opponents flying by them baskets after baskets, and an inept point guard that could not score, or pass, or assist or control the tempo of the game?

Tell me what can he do in Game 7 ??

He fought hard, fought for every position, went for every rebound, contest every shot, tried to stop every penetrating guards, played the longest battle in this season (a total of 43 minutes of play time), while his team mates just virtually collectively disappeared in Game 7.

I really don't think it is FAIR for you to make such comment about Yao Ming about his Game 7 performance.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:37 pm
It was painful to see him go after those guards. Everybody but JVG knows he is doomed to fail at it. Hopefully he will stop that next year and let Yao stay near the basket. It really makes him look bad time and time again.

On the offensive end, i think JVG should be hands off. He should hire an assistant coach that specializes in offense and let him take care of it. I believe the mavs have such a coach(not sure).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:16 pm
Posts: 326Location: bayareasfJoined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:34 pm
robWu wrote:
jungle wrote:
yeah, i suppose yao's 33pts (?) was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggeeee factor in game 7.

what a hippocrit, now you want to look at stats??

i was being sarcastic. people are magnifying those stats as if he did good on that game and made a difference when it didnt.

dont think im one of these trolls, cause like everyone else on this board, im a yao fan. but, some things have to be pointed out even if its negative.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:23 pm
Sure it made a difference. If not for him playing well we would have gotten beaten by about 60 points instead of 40. :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:28 pm
Jungle is just like 1China, trickdaddy, BZZD, godlymatrix, Tannersearle; hell a few of them were probably the same person. Nothing more than Internet trolls.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:38 am
Posts: 647Location: downtown chicagoJoined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:48 pm
pryuen wrote:
maguro wrote:

Yeah so he is soft, not aggressive and no crunch-time go-to guy eh ???

I'm totally disappointed with this statement of yours.

While everyone on the Rockets disappeared into 3Q/4Q, with JVG throwing in the towel even before 4Q started, with T-Mac sitting his @rse on the bench for the full 4Q, who was still there fight hard, running up and down the court ??

What can Yao do if the rest of the team dug out a big hole by 1H, and not doing what they did best in the sason, with T-Mac too eager to win to advance beyond Round 1 where he never managed to do so and forcing all kinds of shots without doing what he was best at i.e. passing and assisting in 1H, and all the other team mates that failed to step up, and let their opponents flying by them baskets after baskets, and an inept point guard that could not score, or pass, or assist or control the tempo of the game?

Tell me what can he do in Game 7 ??

He fought hard, fought for every position, went for every rebound, contest every shot, tried to stop every penetrating guards, played the longest battle in this season (a total of 43 minutes of play time), while his team mates just virtually collectively disappeared in Game 7.

I really don't think it is FAIR for you to make such comment about Yao Ming about his Game 7 performance.

First off Pry, I don't get any satisfaction from making such observations about Yao -- it disappoints me too. I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I hope he proves me wrong. Until he sustains such great performances over the long haul of the season, until he does it in critical games when all eyes are on him, until we are no longer pleasantly surprised or relieved when he does have these games, and until he plays like a real BIG MAN naturally (not forced attempts at acting tough), he will always have that reputation. Opposing teams will feel he is a pushover, and teammates won't feel confident in going to him.

Secondly, you're right -- Yao gave and did everything he could in game 7, on a night when nobody else could. And I'm pleased that he did it. But it should be totally obvious that coming up big in garbage time (yes, the whole game pretty much was garbage time) is not the same as coming up big in crunch time.

Yes, TMac disappointed this game. But his sitting on the bench the whole 4Q was not a reflection of his lack of heart, or JVG punishing him. Like I said, it was garbage time. There was nothing to be gained from him being in there, playing angry, frustrated, and flustered -- greatly risking injury, technical fouls, suspensions, and who knows what, when his emotions can easily get the better of him.

On the other hand, Yao needed that time to help build his confidence. He needs every little bit of help he can get in that area.

Yes, his game 7 was great, and everybody else sucked. But it was still garbage time. There was no pressure, there was much less scrutiny. It meant nothing, other than a tiny moral victory to build up Yao's clearly fragile psyche.

If he does that a few more times when it counts, then it will build a case in the other direction. Like we've discussed before, we're hoping this is all transient. But everytime he disappears, each game where he fails to assert himself -- it's becoming more likely this is a permanent characteristic. Sorry, no pressure Yao -- but the clock is ticking...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:15 am
robWu wrote:
JimRaynor55 wrote:
P_Sa wrote:
Dirk did better than Yao because his team won. Simple as that.

This is illogical, because it assumes that Dirk somehow helped his team win. The Mavs won despite Dirk's poor play.

moochie norris > dirk nowitzki in games 1,2,6 because the rockets won,

WOW moochie norris did better than dirk nowizki in 3 of 4 games.

P_SA please attend summer school.

I suppose you can say that. Just that Moochie didn't play.
Ryan Bowen > Dirk in 1,2 6 tho....

Offline Profile