<  Forum announcements  ~  New policy: no registrations w/Yahoo, Hotmail email accounts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 467Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:32 am
I am instituting a new policy where new users cannot register with Yahoo or Hotmail email accounts. I am finding that some bad guys register with those accounts to post inflammatory messages, then when they are banned, just create another username with a Yahoo or Hotmail email account (or other free email accounts as listed in the last posting below).

Note: this will NOT affect anyone who has already registered with a Yahoo or Hotmail email account. You can still login like normal.

If you are a "legitimate" person who wants to register but you only use a Yahoo or Hotmail email accounts, I suggest that you get a friend or family member to register you using a different account type. After you're registered, the only thing that you won't be able to receive that a 'normal' user would receive are "private messages" from other users in the forum. That's not such a big sacrifice to make since very few people use this.

Thank you for your understanding as we try to clean up this forum from wahoos who only come into the forum to insult other members.

Update - 11/25/04: I will also not approve any registrations where the email address is invalid. I get a report that tells me if an email address doesn't work. There is no sense me approving any registration when the person is trying to hide their true identity. If you don't get approved and you feel you submitted a legitimate email address, check your spelling and try submitting another request with more care.

Keep in mind that we'll add more free email services to this list if we see anyone else trying to use those services with the intention of creating havoc in the forum. It's very easy for us to do.

Last edited by John on Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
you're a genius!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Site AdminPosts: 467Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:32 am
UPDATE: I have added Lycos, Netscape and MSN to the mix since my original posting. I will continue to add every free email account out there as long as they are being abused. A message to those people (or person) who is creating problems: every time I have to go in and play this game of banning free email accounts means less time I can spend on covering Yao. This game is really getting silly, you know?

John

Offline Profile