<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  Jason Dixon on What Went Wrong with CBA and Yi Jianlian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:46 am
User avatarPosts: 50430Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
A pretty indepth interview with much insights from Jason Dixon, a veteran US basketball pro who played for Guangdong Dongguan Bank Hongyuan Tigers for 10 seasons, and now an assistant coach for the team about

• Life as a expat pro in China
  • What went wrong with Chinese basketball
  • Best players, local or foreign, that he had played against in CBA
  • His assessment of Yi Jianlian's NBA career so far
Pretty insightful and interesting, IMHO.

ENJOY !!! 8)

[quote]

http://www.niubball.com/2011/04/jason-dixon-interview/

Jason Dixon Interview

[size=109]April 24th, 2011
Jon Pastuszek

Simply put, there are few Americans in the world better qualified to talk about Chinese basketball than Jason Dixon. Spending a total of 10 seasons with the Guangdong Hongyuan Southern Tigers from 1998-2001 and 2003-2009, Dixon helped Guangdong to five CBA titles before having his #15 retired in December 2008. To date, only one other player, Shanghai

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:25 am
User avatarPosts: 2920Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
Thanks, great article, i think he makes a lot of good points here

[quote="pryuen"][size=117]

[color=red]NiuBBall: As a foreign coach, what are some of the challenges in working with Chinese players?

JD:
[color=red][b]The language barrier is always tough. And their work ethic is a lot different than Americans. I don

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:43 am
User avatarPosts: 12999Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
He sounds a little bitter and jealous of Yi.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 50430Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Malorkayel wrote:
He sounds a little bitter and jealous of Yi.

Well, IMHO, Jason Dixon was just telling the TRUTH, EXCEPT that Yi Jianlian had played in CBA for 5 seasons and not just 3.

In his first 2 seasons, Yi Jianlian played from the bench, and was not exactly outstanding.

He was only averaging 5 ppg/3.3 rpg/0.4 bpg in the 02 ~ 03 season, and 9.7 ppg/5.9 rpg/0.5 bpg in the 03 ~ 04 season.

THAT was NOT dominating.

After Yi Jianlian became a starter and had longer playing minutes, he played better and better in the remaining 3 seasons with the following stats:

• 16.8 ppg/10.2 rpg/1.4 bpg for 04 ~ 05 season
  • 20.5 ppg/9.6 rpg/1.3 bpg for 05 ~ 06 season
  • 24.9 ppg/11.5 rpg/1.8 bpg for 06 ~ 07 season
But he was STILL NOT dominating in CBA.

AT LEAST
he could not lead the Guangdong Dongguan Bank Hongyuan Tigers to beat Wang Zhizhi and the Bayi Rockets in the CBA Final for the CBA Championship in the 06 ~ 07 season.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 12999Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
I was commenting that he sounded bitter and jealous of Yi.

Also, you don't have to graduate CBA to get in NBA. The NBA draft based on potential. Yi did consistently get better in the CBA and his draft workout was legendary.

Sounds like he think Yi is done with the NBA and heading back to China.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:28 pm
Malorkayel wrote:

Yi did consistently get better in the CBA and his draft workout was legendary.

HOW legendary??? :roll:

To be teased, ridiculed and labelled as the Chairman or Space Chair
that he was posting up actual chairs and spinning around them for layups during the draft workout with teams??

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 pm
I didnt get any sense of bitterness or jealousy from reading it. Just my two cents.

It's nice to have an evaluation of the league's progress from a player coming from outside who's played in the league as long as Dixon had been. Such a perspective and vision can be valuable for having the league move forward.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm
Momak wrote:
I didnt get any sense of bitterness or jealousy from reading it. Just my two cents.

It's nice to have an evaluation of the league's progress from a player coming from outside who's played in the league as long as Dixon had been. Such a perspective and vision can be valuable for having the league move forward.

Surely hope Jason Dixon can put his words into action and help the younger players of Guangdong Dongguan Bank Hongyuan Tigers (such as Su Wei, Wang Zheng, Zhou Peng, Chen Jianghua, Liu Xiaoyu, Dong Hanlin, Chen Dawei, the Ren brothers, and other up and coming players from the junior team such as Shi Hongfei, Wang Pu, Zhu Xuhang, Gao Shang, Ju Mingxin etc) to become better players in terms of their work ethics and skills.

Last edited by pryuen on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 1722Location: West BankJoined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:11 am
Momak wrote:

Me neither. Facts are facts.

Yi never had a dominant persona, in the CBA or NBA. He has a typical, very laid-back, passive Southern attitude. So mentally, he was basically always a gun-shy role player.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:07 am
voyd wrote:

Me neither. Facts are facts.

Yi never had a dominant persona, in the CBA or NBA. He has a typical, very laid-back, passive Southern attitude. So mentally, he was basically always a gun-shy role player.

Voyd

Personally think this is an over-generalization 以偏概全; you're drawing conclusions from parts about passive and gun-shy Southerners.

Do you know what constitutes Southern China?
:roll:

It covers vast territories of Jiangsu, Anhui, Zhejiang, Shanghai, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, Fujian, Yunnan, Guizhou, Sichuan, Shaanxi, Guangxi, Guangdong, Hainan, Taiwan, Henan, Ganxu.

And I don't think I need to give you examples and names of famous legends/generals from the South in Chinese history
that were not passive and gun-shy.

BTW, do you think Yao Ming from Shanghai is passive and gun-shy?? He is also considered to be a Southerner.

Last edited by pryuen on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile