<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  [Discussing The Fortunes of Yi Jianlian with David Thorpe]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:58 pm
Just out. Seems to be a real objective and yet positive summer story about Yi. We'll see how it turns out in the real NBA season. I hope he has finally turned the corner.

http://www.truthaboutit.net/
[quote]Discussing The Fortunes of Yi Jianlian with David Thorpe
Kyle Weidie | August 6, 2010 | 4:44 pm

[Editor's note: While I was out in Las Vegas for the summer league, I caught up with David Thorpe to discuss Yi Jianlian, who Thorpe trained earlier this summer in Florida. Below is what I gathered from my initial discussion with him. Unfortunately, the second part of the discussion was nowhere to be found on my recorder, evidently replaced by around 42 minutes of summer league gym sounds instead. Oh well, I'll try to catch up with Coach Thorpe for a follow-up at some point, but I can't thank him enough for what he has already provided. -Kyle]

{image via bscup.tom.com}
His friends back in China call him

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:58 pm
Posts: 277Location: CaliforniaJoined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:20 pm
Very interesting article. Thanks for the link

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 13122Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
great article. Yi is a mystery.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 50585Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Well from what he showed in the 2010 FIBA Stankovic Continental Cup tournament, Yi Jianlian started to put some of what he learnt from this 5-week training from David Thrope into practice.

He is becoming physically stronger, put in alot of efforts in rebounding, doing alot of running on the court, often slash into the low post from the baseline, and dunk, dunk, dunk !!!

Even though he played only 10 minutes in the game with Slovenia,
he still managed 3 double-doubles in 4 games....averaging 15.5 points/8.25 rebounds/1.25 assists/1.25 block shots/1.25 dunks per game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:02 pm
User avatarPosts: 3991Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
i think he captures yi's game perfectly. he has a jumper, a very fast 7 footer but no basketball instincts, or any idea how to make decisions quickly with or without the ball.

So on paper he looks ridiculously good, but in real life, he sucks.

I also agree with him and think from all 100+games that i've seen of Yi, that his speed is more impressive than his vertical leap. Yes, he has a 30 inch running vertical probably, but I have never seen 7 footers run like him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm
For his height, Yi is probably one of the most athletic humans in the world. But like Thrope pointed out, Yi lacked the basketball knowledge to be dominant.

NJ really screwed up giving him away. I lol'd at this part.

[quote]Both Milwaukee Bucks and New Jersey Nets fans will likely roll their eyes at mention of Yi Jianlian. Actually, Nets fans rejoiced when they traded Yi away for cap room in anticipation of LeBron

Last edited by Malorkayel on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm
1) thorpe was an employee or Yi Jianlian. thorpe will not grow his business talking crap about Yi. he has incentive to talk him up

2) Yi should keep expectations low and work his ***** off rather than build expectations then under deliver once again

3) I've noticed prior to this article that Yi has been looking jacked. hope that his mentality is as jacked and he's ready to deliver

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:11 pm
temuchin wrote:
1) thorpe was an employee or Yi Jianlian. thorpe will not grow his business talking crap about Yi. he has incentive to talk him up

2) Yi should keep expectations low and work his ***** off rather than build expectations then under deliver once again

3) I've noticed prior to this article that Yi has been looking jacked. hope that his mentality is as jacked and he's ready to deliver

Dude, Yi is a proven hard worker. Compare him during off season with all the other Chinese ballers. Yi is ripped!

It just sucks when he loses confidence and wilt when everyone get up on his @ss.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:58 pm
Posts: 3242Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
I think he will do well playing for a good NBA coach like Flip Saunders. And if his teammates embrace him and allow him to have fun playing basketball, then he could really turn a big corner....

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:01 pm
Thanks for the link and the pics. I think its a matter him gelling with the team and trusting him.

Offline Profile