Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  Yi Jianlian's Self Critique of His Performance This Season

pryuen
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Prior to flying out to Miami for his last game of the season, Yi Jianlian received a rare interview from Titan Sports where he self-critiqued on his own and team performance for this past season, whether he will stay or leave New Jersey Nets, and talked about his summer plans.

ENJOY !!! Cool

Quote:
http://basketball.titan24.com/2010-04-16/62997.html

Reporter Wang Ning of Titan Sports reports from New Jersey

Titan Sports: Can you summarize this season for us?

Yi Jianlian: I should say, overall, I still made some progress (than previous seasons), particularly in my defense; and I believed I had much more good games than previous 2 seasons. I believed I had displayed some of my characteristics of my game.

Titan Sports: People kept saying you had been inconsistent; What do you think caused such fluctuations?

Yi Jianlian: It should be caused by some flaws and instability in my fundamental skills. Very often there were problems relating to my shot selections, my game-reading and decision making. Of course these are areas/issues that I have to focus to resolve this coming summer. When I return to China, I will bring back tapes of all my games of this season, and I will study them during my leisure time. I need to know where I am good at and where I am poor at; these are issues to be resolved.

Titan Sports: Can you talk to us in more specifics?

Yi Jianlian: I thought I had problems in deciding when to shoot or when to pass in my offense; and I think I need to mix it up and diversify on my offense. I also had problems in transition/help defense.
All these are small details that need to be carefully looked into; These (working on the details of my deficiencies) are going to be the important tasks/missions for me during this summer. I hope I can have good adjustment in this summer to rectify/make up my deficiencies.

Titan Sports: Did you have pressures as you went through such inconsistent and unstable performance? I mean were you concerned about being marginalized in the team? Or just talk to us about your plan for the next season, i.e. whether you will stay or leave New Jersey Nets.

Yi Jianlian:
No. Pressures are usually inflicted upon you by others; I do not give myself such unnecessary pressures. Everything is controlled by the head coach; he has the final say whether you will play and how long you will play. If you are on fire with great shooting feel and touch, your team mates will continue feeding you, which is normal. As for next season, I have been saying the same thing before, i.e. I have no control of others; I have only control on myself. As to where will I be next season, I have no say. Everybody just place more attention to their own plans for the summer. As to what the team is planning, I have absolutely no control and no say.

Titan Sports: The New Jersey Nets came bottom in the entire league this season. Have you ever thought about changing to a much stronger team?

Yi Jianlian: I have never thought about this.
Players are the creators for the end results, regardless of whether we got good or bad results; and personally I should also bear some responsibilities. Of course we had bad results for this season; but there are many underlying reasons; it started from some personnel and roster changes in the summer; then some injuries/sicknesses in the early part of the season; the change in the head coach and coaching staff, and roster changes (after the mid season trade); actually (for any team), when there is a slight change, the team would need a period of time for adjustment; therefore in midst of all such reshuffling and readjustments, our team did not play well. It was mainly due to the overall environment of instability that we, the players, did not have the right mood and mindset to play consistently. Of course, as a result, we lost more than we won.

Titan Sports: If you stay in the New Jersey Nets next season, and if the new Russian boss really makes changes to the coaching staff, will you have a sense of crisis?

Yi Jianlian:
(I think) in the last month (of this season), our team made quite some improvement; and as for myself, I also played some good games. What I meant is what needed to be manifested had been manifested, and such progress of the team manifested hope for the future. Of course, as to what will happen next in the future, nothing can be certain, and it is beyond the scope of my control and imagination. As to what will happen in the summer, all I can do is to keep my eyes open and wait and see.

Titan Sports: That means you can use a very peaceful state of mind to face up to what will happen in this summer?

Yi Jianlian:
Yup, we’re professionals; therefore, we could only be brave, open and professional enough to face up to what will happen in the summer.

Titan Sports: Do you want to stay in New Jersey Nets?

Yi Jianlian: Well, if a player feels good at a team, I don’t think he will want to leave.
The New Jersey Nets will become much better next season; we have the right to a high draft; we have huge salary cap space; we will move to a new arena/stadium in Newark…. Well everything will just get better.

Titan Sports: So you’ve played 3 years in NBA. Can you summarize for us the characteristics of your game?

Yi Jianlian: Characteristics?
(pondering while scratching his head) I would say I play mobile and nimble; of course I still have a lot of deficiencies and technically I’m not mature enough. I need to work on and improve on my game this coming summer.

Titan Sports: So what about your plans for this summer? Can you disclose it for us?

Yi Jianlian:
When we return from Miami, the team will have a (wrap-up) meeting. I will then pack and return to China. First and utmost is to take rest and let my shoulder injury recuperate; my shoulder had not really completely healed during the season. I will have a one month's break to rest and recuperate and then I will come back to United States to check up my shoulder, and arrange for the next phase of my training. Then I have to return to China again to fulfill my national team commitment.
supraman
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Yi is already back in China, his in the crowd watching the CBA finals game 2 xinjiang vs guangdong
pryuen
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
supraman wrote:
Yi is already back in China, his in the crowd watching the CBA finals game 2 xinjiang vs guangdong

YUP he was back yesterday (I think).

He came to cheer/rave support for his alma mater team in Game 2.

Noy sure whether he had his skinhead done when he was still in USA or after he had come back.

And prior to the start of the game, he donated RMB 200K to the victims of the Qinghai Yushu earthquake.

PhilNYC
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
He looks happy to be home...
temuchin
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote

lol this dude is still ballin

last I heard he was an actor or something now
pryuen
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
temuchin wrote:

Mengke Bateer is the MVP this year AGAIN in the regular season.

Yeah he said he is going to retire either this year or next, depending on whether he will win the CBA Championship this year.

But now 0 ~ 2 down in the 7-game Final, and with Charles Gaines their dangerman on power forward position facing a possible suspension of at least 2 to 5 games for knocking out Du Feng unconsciously at the end of Game 2,
the chance for his Xinjiang Guanghui team to win the Championship is close to ZERO.
supraman
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
pryuen wrote:
temuchin wrote:

Mengke Bateer is the MVP this year AGAIN in the regular season.

Yeah he said he is going to retire either this year or next, depending on whether he will win the CBA Championship this year.

But now 0 ~ 2 down in the 7-game Final, and with Charles Gaines their dangerman on power forward position facing a possible suspension of at least 2 to 5 games for knocking out Du Feng unconsciously at the end of Game 2,
the chance for his Xinjiang Guanghui team to win the Championship is close to ZERO.

Mengke Bateer MVP of regular season CBA? This is a JOKE right?
I guess the CBA doesn't like giving import players MVP awards, cuz it should go to Smush Parker and it's not even close.
pryuen
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
supraman wrote:

I guess the CBA doesn't like giving import players MVP awards, cuz it should go to Smush Parker and it's not even close.

Expat players are not eligible for MVPs in CBA, no one tells you that??? Rolling Eyes

In fact, popularity polls showed that Liu Wei should be the MVP this year. But due to injuries, he missed 5 ~ 6 games, and did not meet CBA's freakish rule that MVP candidates needed to play at least 28 games in the regular season.
supraman
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
pryuen wrote:
supraman wrote:

Expat players are not eligible for MVPs in CBA, no one tells you that??? Rolling Eyes

In fact, popularity polls showed that Liu Wei should be the MVP this year. But due to injuries, he missed 5 ~ 6 games, and did not meet CBA's freakish rule that MVP candidates needed to play at least 28 games in the regular season.

i didnt know that but i do believe that some of the imports should deserve the MVP because some of them ARE the most valuable players.
karamazov
Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Menk is pretty awesome. He played a shaolin monk in Bodyguards and assassins, and did a great job. We might see him leave basketball to go into the HK film industry.