<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming: It's Nice I've Learned Another New Word

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:57 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Sina.com has this recap of what Yao Ming said at the post game press conference of Game 2.

Quote:
http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2009-05-07/ ... 7122.shtml

• When asked how the Rockets is going to control their emotion on court, he said: You asked me how to control our emotions? We have just got to win it back next game. You know this is playoff, and everyone plays with high intensity and try to control the tempo/rhythm. We can't let them take the initiative. We have to get it back.
  • When asked how he felt for getting into foul troubles so early in Game 2, he said: I had nothing to say about my first 2 fouls. As for my 3rd, I did not even know what had I done wrong. They called it then be it. All I need to do is to continue to keep a positive attitude, playing legitimately, run and move faster, fight for my position and to avoid further fouls.
  • When asked whether the loss will hurt their confidence, or instead add to their fighting spirit and morale, he said the loss had added to their confidence and determination to win. He admitted they had made alot of mistakes in the game, but the team did not give up, and had tried to do the catch-up throughout the game.
  • When a reporter asked him now that the series is split, what the Rockets plan to do as the series go back to Houston, Yao Ming asked the reporter to clarify what he meant by the word Split. Then he said: HA HA, in these playoff series, I've learnt and added another new word to my vocabulary. We had also a 1 ~ 1 in our previous series (with Portland TrailBlazers). My current gut feel tells me that the home court advantage that we had gained in this series is not that safe. Even though we play very well on our home court, we have to be very very careful in Game 3 on Friday to protect our home court advantage.
  • Then he further commented: It's nice to learn this new word split. But I don't want to see the 2 following games got split on our home court, because that is our territory !!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 am
what about the 4th and 5th fouls//

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:03 am
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
Here is another new word for Yao, elbowing :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:52 am
Yao needs to take his offensive game to Gasol, starting the 1st quarter, not taking 1 shot and playing defense like this game, then you never know if Gasol will pick up his fouls first. Gasol also has problems guarding Yao if Yao gets the post up positions. If Yao plays like this game, he's going to pick up fouls guarding Gasol.

The 1st 2 fouls on Yao were legit, Yao bumped Gasol when he's shooting the ball. The 3rd foul Yao grabbed the rebound and jumped into Gasol's body to shoot the ball, the refs called an offensive foul, that's kinda 50/50 and kinda BS.

This game - Yao played like NO FIRE, NO POWER.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:52 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
YY2008 wrote:
Yao needs to take his offensive game to Gasol, starting the 1st quarter, not taking 1 shot and playing defense like this game, then you never know if Gasol will pick up his fouls first. Gasol also has problems guarding Yao if Yao gets the post up positions. If Yao plays like this game, he's going to pick up fouls guarding Gasol.

The 1st 2 fouls on Yao were legit, Yao bumped Gasol when he's shooting the ball. The 3rd foul Yao grabbed the rebound and jumped into Gasol's body to shoot the ball, the refs called an offensive foul, that's kinda 50/50 and kinda BS.

This game - Yao played like NO FIRE, NO POWER.

Great point. Yao has to be the aggressor in Game 3. Gasol cannot defend him once he catches the ball. He has to come out and put Gasol under pressure at the defensive end. Force the action. Be proactive not reactive.

Man he should really do away with trying to take those silly charges. They DON'T work especially if Joey Crawford is around.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:03 am
YY2008 wrote:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! I just don't get it. When is Yao going to learn that he's most effective shooting the ball??? He's not Mutombo, who can alter games by sheer defense alone. He's on the court for one thing and that's to keep the pressure on the other team's defenders!

It's like in a boxing match, if you never throw a punch, how do you expect to win??? Just f**king scream for the ball and shoot it everytime! I think EVERY Rocket fan can live with him shooting 5-20 once in a while as long as he jacks up 20 shots a game every game! Gasol was spending NO ENERGY on defense because Yao wasn't taking any shots, so of course Gasol starts to have an impact on the offensive end.

This is the part of Yao that gets all of us soooooooooo frustrated sometimes. I can blame the refs for killing the Rox, but still, Yao was on the court for 26 minutes and took only 4 shots, you can't blame anybody else for that. Yao, shoot the ball, PLEASSEEEEEE!!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:15 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Ree wrote:

This is the part of Yao that gets all of us soooooooooo frustrated sometimes. I can blame the refs for killing the Rox, but still, Yao was on the court for 26 minutes and took only 4 shots, you can't blame anybody else for that. Yao, shoot the ball, PLEASSEEEEEE!!!!

But those 26 minutes were chopped into pieces of incohesive units. :roll:

He only played a total of 10 minutes or so in 1H. Got 2 fouls towards the 9th minutes mark of 1Q. And he got his 3rd a BS one after returning to court for 50+ seconds. in 2Q.

He played for another 4 to 5 minutes in 3Q before he got his 4th.

He played the bulk of his play minutes in 4Q, scored 10 points of his 12 points. But when he was getting into groove, scoring repeatedly from the free throw line,
another phantom call, his 5th was called.

With 5 fouls on him in that last 5 minutes in 4Q, you cannot really blame him for playing tentatively, cos another call would have fouled him out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:23 am
pryuen wrote:

But those 26 minutes were chopped into pieces of incohesive units. :roll:

He only played a total of 10 minutes or so in 1H. Got 2 fouls towards the 9th minutes mark of 1Q. And he got his 3rd a BS one after returning to court for 50+ seconds. in 2Q.

He played for another 4 to 5 minutes in 3Q before he got his 4th.

He played the bulk of his play minutes in 4Q, scored 10 points of his 12 points. But when he was getting into groove, scoring repeatedly from the free throw line,
another phantom call, his 5th was called.

With 5 fouls on him in that last 5 minutes in 4Q, you cannot really blame him for playing tentatively, cos another call would have fouled him out.

I'd accept that theory if this were a regular season game or Yao were just a regular player. Frankly, the game is too important and he is too important a player to take normal excuses. I agree he was very much affected by the fouls and the fronting, but he has to rise above those or at least try harder. He was on the court for very limited time, so he should have had MORE of an urgency to use those time more effectively.

I'm not saying these things just from reading the box score. When I was watching the game, I was already upset at several occasions when he was just standing there with Gasol blocking his entry point with an arm out instead of shifting behind Gasol to get open.

I was screaming at the TV for Yao to MOVE. He was on the bench for lengthy time during the game and Gasol is definitely not the strongest defender, so this is one game you can't say he didn't have enough stamina. Gasol is no Shaq, if Yao is expected to lead the Rockets past this round, he HAS TO dominate Gasol, there's just no way around it.

And he SHOULD! To not being able to do so is a failure on his part.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:50 am
Yao should have done more because HIS TEAM NEEDED MORE FROM HIM

but it's not really an excuse to say the refs handcuffed him. it's a fact that Yao needs touches and he needs time on the court to be productive. the refs split up his time so he could never get into any offensive rhythm. this is why Stern is pro. if he'd fouled out Yao or limited him to <20 min it would HAVE to be a story on the news... "Yao fouls out" or "Yao sees limited minutes in Houston loss."

the gameplan to take out Yao is well established it's not new:

step 1) early questionable fouls
step 2) those fouls form the basis of 3rd foul in 2nd quarter. yao sits
step 3) early foul in 4th. Yao sits.
step 4) Yao comes back in the 4th... hampered by 4 fouls on defense and never gets into the offensive game

yesterday for extra measure

step 5) boot whoever has picked up Yao's offensive slack

what's especially pro is that... of those 3rd and 4th fouls one of them is semi-legit or at least questionable. what is actually crucial is the timing: yao MUST sit at early at the 3rd. less pro thieves might just stack the made up calls right on top of each other but Stern builds the framework from the first half so that you look at the 4th call or w/e and think there's some plausible deniability

a dude who doesn't follow the rockets will just look at the box score and think Yao had an off game inexplicably but you saddle Yao with 4 fouls in the 2nd half with irregular court time you've basically taken him out of the game

I mean look at the fouls game 2 on the Lakers bigs. Odom 1 PF. Gasol 2 PF. versus Yao's 5 fouls. Yet over the series... deniers can point to game 1: Odom 5 fouls Gasol 4 fouls. they are pro they dont do this haphazard they plan this ****** out. they piled on the fouls in game 1 in a Houston win so that in game 2 they call nothing on Odom and Gasol in a Lakers win yet the series looks balanced

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:20 am
He was stupid to pick up the 2nd foul in the first quarter when he already had one. Just let it go!

And he was not aggressive enough on offense. There were times he should have taken the shot himself and he passed it out. And he threw a bad pass late in the game that basically sealed it.

Offline Profile