Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message

<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  Zhang Kai Invited For Sacramento Kings' Preseasons Camp

pryuen
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Feb 2003 Posts: 48924 Location: Hong Kong/China


Zhang Kai of Dongguan New Century Leopards has received invitation from Sacramento Kings to join their pre-seasons training camp.



The move was sort of again arranged by the international scout at Sacramento Kings....Jack Mai Lijia 买力佳 , a Chinese-American from Taiwan that has been scouting for the Kings in the Pacific Rim region.

The trial will last for 1 month, and Zhang Kai will depart for Sacramento Kings tomorrow (September 21st).

Even though Zhang Kai knew this trip is nothing about getting a contract to play for the Sacramento King, nevertheless he is thrilled with the chance for having the opportunity for this trial as he can further observe and learn how NBA players play....
View user's profile Send private message
williamshi888
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Aug 2008 Posts: 333
For those of you who doesnt know about Zhang Kai. He is 6'11, quite agile. Zhang has better athleticism than any other current Chinese tall player not named Yi.

Zhang has a very nice shooting touch extending all the way to the three point line. The difference in his shooting style compared to Yi is that, Yi's release is quite mechanical, While Zhang can shoot well even when off balance.

Zhang has nice dribbling skills for a tall player, better than Yi's. His dribbling ability enables him to drive and suddenly pull up for a jumper as opposed to Yi's catch n shoot.

Zhang is a very smart player, ie. he uses his head to play. When under the post, he employs a variety of moves including fakes. Decent anticipation for blocks and rebounds. He averaged something like 12 rebounds per game last season.

BUT, he is born in 1982, and he is rail thin. His body strength is infinitely close to zero. That's why he can't even make it to the olympics.
View user's profile Send private message
pryuen
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Feb 2003 Posts: 48924 Location: Hong Kong/China
williamshi888 wrote:


BUT, he is born in 1982, and he is rail thin. His body strength is infinitely close to zero. That's why he can't even make it to the olympics.


Well, personally think that's grossly over-exaggerated. If his body strength is infinitely close to zero, how can you explain he averaged 12 rebounds per game in CBA amidst all the expatriate centres/power forwards of the other CBA teams?

The major reason why Zhang Qingpeng was picked into the final roster and Zhang Kai got left out of the final roster was that the centre and power forward positions were over-crowded with Yao Ming, Wang Zhizhi, Yi Jianlian, Du Feng already, and at the point guard position, Liu Wei had some carried-over injury, Chen Jianghua is immature and unstable, and Sun Yue had to play in multiple positions backing up the point guard, small forward and shooting guard positions.
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. No
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 Jul 2005 Posts: 7502
pryuen wrote:
....how can you explain he averaged 12 rebounds per game in CBA amidst all the expatriate centres/power forwards of the other CBA teams?
the poster had already rprovided a reasonable explanation for that.
    williamshi888 wrote:
    ....Zhang is a very smart player, ie. he uses his head to play.
    When under the post, he employs a variety of moves including
    fakes. Decent anticipation for blocks and rebounds. He averaged
    something like 12 rebounds per game last season.
View user's profile Send private message
pryuen
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Feb 2003 Posts: 48924 Location: Hong Kong/China
Dr. No wrote:
pryuen wrote:
....how can you explain he averaged 12 rebounds per game in CBA amidst all the expatriate centres/power forwards of the other CBA teams?
the poster had already rprovided a reasonable explanation for that.
    williamshi888 wrote:
    ....Zhang is a very smart player, ie. he uses his head to play.
    When under the post, he employs a variety of moves including
    fakes. Decent anticipation for blocks and rebounds. He averaged
    something like 12 rebounds per game last season.


If his physical strength is close to zero, even with decent anticipation, he will be easily bumped aside by the stronger opponents for rebounds....... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message
supraman
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2003 Posts: 2914
The description close to zero is just a hyperbole, ie extreme exaggeration. Obviously he has some body strength but compared to other players, he is very weak. Dont take that literally when he said close to zero.

pryuen wrote:
williamshi888 wrote:


BUT, he is born in 1982, and he is rail thin. His body strength is infinitely close to zero. That's why he can't even make it to the olympics.


Well, personally think that's grossly over-exaggerated. If his body strength is infinitely close to zero, how can you explain he averaged 12 rebounds per game in CBA amidst all the expatriate centres/power forwards of the other CBA teams?

The major reason why Zhang Qingpeng was picked into the final roster and Zhang Kai got left out of the final roster was that the centre and power forward positions were over-crowded with Yao Ming, Wang Zhizhi, Yi Jianlian, Du Feng already, and at the point guard position, Liu Wei had some carried-over injury, Chen Jianghua is immature and unstable, and Sun Yue had to play in multiple positions backing up the point guard, small forward and shooting guard positions.
View user's profile Send private message
superjohn
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 10890
According to pryuen, then this player can play in the NBA if Yi can play in the NBA. Especially if he is nearly as athletic as Yi.
View user's profile Send private message
pryuen
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Feb 2003 Posts: 48924 Location: Hong Kong/China
superjohn wrote:
According to pryuen, then this player can play in the NBA if Yi can play in the NBA. Especially if he is nearly as athletic as Yi.


When DID I say anything about Zhang Kai ready and can play in NBA?

And you're
wrong that he is as athletic as Yi Jianlian.
View user's profile Send private message
tiefighter
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Oct 2003 Posts: 873 Location: Houston
Actually, the description of his strength is close to zero is not much of an exaggeration when comparing to the European and American players.

On the other hand, basketball seems to come natural for him. He has excellent court sense.

I hope this experience (he has zero chance of making it into NBA) will only encourage him to work out and get stronger.

Maybe the difference of 30 pounds of muscle can be the difference of him making tens (or hundreds) of thousands in China vs. millions in the USA.
View user's profile Send private message
superjohn
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 10890
pryuen wrote:
superjohn wrote:
According to pryuen, then this player can play in the NBA if Yi can play in the NBA. Especially if he is nearly as athletic as Yi.


When DID I say anything about Zhang Kai ready and can play in NBA?

And you're
wrong that he is as athletic as Yi Jianlian.


Stupid pryuen, I didn't say Zhang is as athletic a Yi. It was william who said he is the most athletic Chinese player beside Yi. But you claimed that he is not that weak as others said.
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum