Author Message

<  The Olympics  ~  Why can't Chen Jianghua play like Ricky Rubio?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:08 am
Posts: 1110Location: new york cityJoined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:53 am
Tang Man wrote:
Ricky Rubio is without doubt a great talent. A great ball handler, he has excellent vision and passing skills. His bball IQ is also incredibly high for someone so young. His defense isn't too bad either. However having had the chance to see him up close and during the warms here are a few of the things that I noticed.

He isn't particularly hard working. During the pre-game warms, while all his teammates are on the floor working on their game, Ricky would take a few shots, missing most of them and then just sits on the bench and watch. He seems to have a real arrogrant attitude as well. At times he even seems to act like his above his team and sulks when he gets bench for making a mistake. His release on his shot is too low. It's ok now but he won't get that off at higher level.

These are some of the negatives but the positives are just so huge. I am really impressed by how compose he is and how he is able to direct an offense.


if i may add, RR has a huge advantage over CJH in that RR has alot of veterans to learn from and to bring him along, Calderon, Navarro and etc. Also, RR's has a size advantage that allows him to see the floor so well.

Tang, I take it that you had a very positive experience at the BJ games. what other events did you see?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:49 am
User avatarPosts: 2584Location: HoustonJoined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
why can't Yi play like Dirk? why can't francis play like D-Wade? Why can't Bradley play like Yao?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 1269Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:36 am
well part of it is rubio has a world class team around him........Chen has yao yi, and bunch of retarded squirrels running around him.....Chen throws a tough pass and it's a turnover.......Rubio throws a tough pass, it turns into a great looking alley oop.......

let's not mistake this..........Rubio made tons of mistakes in the tournament, and outside of the US game, didnt do jack......well unless you count stealing the ball off of liu wei but I bet i can do that if given the opportunity........

WHen Rubio f's up, people forget cause he stays inthe game and gives you a couple flashes.......chen comes in and is gone with 20 seconds so he doesnt even have the same opportunity...........


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 1725Location: West BankJoined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:11 am
I've not been too impressed with Rubio's clips on YouTube...

Dunno about the US game, couldn't watch it. And NBC is such a YouTube NAZI about banning any bootleg clips. :roll: I hope they never cover the Games again! TOTALLY SUCKED AT IT! :evil:

Anyone know where there's any highlight clips of Rubio or CJH in the Games?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 578Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:10 pm
voyd wrote:
I've not been too impressed with Rubio's clips on YouTube...

Dunno about the US game, couldn't watch it. And NBC is such a YouTube NAZI about banning any bootleg clips. :roll: I hope they never cover the Games again! TOTALLY SUCKED AT IT! :evil:

Anyone know where there's any highlight clips of Rubio or CJH in the Games?


Watching a highlight reel does not do Rubio justice. His game isn't flash like CJH's, it's much more substance. He runs the offense extremely well considering he's only 17. He makes great decisions and looks very fluid. He won't blow you away with ridiculous dunks but that's not what you would want in a top PG.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
robWu wrote:
well part of it is rubio has a world class team around him........Chen has yao yi, and bunch of retarded squirrels running around him.....Chen throws a tough pass and it's a turnover.......Rubio throws a tough pass, it turns into a great looking alley oop.......

let's not mistake this..........Rubio made tons of mistakes in the tournament, and outside of the US game, didnt do jack......well unless you count stealing the ball off of liu wei but I bet i can do that if given the opportunity........

WHen Rubio f's up, people forget cause he stays inthe game and gives you a couple flashes.......chen comes in and is gone with 20 seconds so he doesnt even have the same opportunity...........


That's where you are wrong. Yes the casual fan may look at the flashy things Rubio does well. However it's non flashy stuff that is so impressive for me. He is very composed under pressure even against the US. Can you say that about any of the Chinese gaurds including Chen Jianghua? I don't think so. His vision and passing ability is above that of anyone his age that I've seen for a while. However the thing that impressed me the most, is his ability to run an offense. Chen doesn't even know the meaning of running an offense. So while Rubio may not look like he is doing anything to you, to the well trained eye he is doing all the TEAM thing like getting the ball safely up the court, put his teammates in good position to score. That's what a PG is supposed to do, not turn the ball over, go on wild drives to the basket and not finishing and thus let the other team rebound and run the other way. More importantly can't get the ball into good position for his teammates to score.

If Rubio played for CNT Yao would totally dominate and I would venture to say CNT would have finished in the top 4. That's how good this kid is at doing the job of a PG. The only thing that is going to hold Rubio back from being a great PG is his attitude.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 pm
Posts: 578Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:10 pm
Tang Man wrote:
robWu wrote:
well part of it is rubio has a world class team around him........Chen has yao yi, and bunch of retarded squirrels running around him.....Chen throws a tough pass and it's a turnover.......Rubio throws a tough pass, it turns into a great looking alley oop.......

let's not mistake this..........Rubio made tons of mistakes in the tournament, and outside of the US game, didnt do jack......well unless you count stealing the ball off of liu wei but I bet i can do that if given the opportunity........

WHen Rubio f's up, people forget cause he stays inthe game and gives you a couple flashes.......chen comes in and is gone with 20 seconds so he doesnt even have the same opportunity...........


That's where you are wrong. Yes the casual fan may look at the flashy things Rubio does well. However it's non flashy stuff that is so impressive for me. He is very composed under pressure even against the US. Can you say that about any of the Chinese gaurds including Chen Jianghua? I don't think so. His vision and passing ability is above that of anyone his age that I've seen for a while. However the thing that impressed me the most, is his ability to run an offense. Chen doesn't even know the meaning of running an offense. So while Rubio may not look like he is doing anything to you, to the well trained eye he is doing all the TEAM thing like getting the ball safely up the court, put his teammates in good position to score. That's what a PG is supposed to do, not turn the ball over, go on wild drives to the basket and not finishing and thus let the other team rebound and run the other way. More importantly can't get the ball into good position for his teammates to score.

If Rubio played for CNT Yao would totally dominate and I would venture to say CNT would have finished in the top 4. That's how good this kid is at doing the job of a PG. The only thing that is going to hold Rubio back from being a great PG is his attitude.


I agree exactly with what you said about Rubio and evaluating his game. But I don't agree that the CNT with Rubio would have advanced to the semi's. We are more than just one player short to reach the top tier (USA, Spain, Lithuania, Argentina, Greece).... unless that one guy is Kobe or Lebron. That's not a knock on Rubio, but he's just not there yet. Give him 2-3 years, then who knows.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:52 pm
Posts: 2628Location: Hillsborough, CAJoined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:34 am
Alan Iverson is a bad example of basketball star. He is little and freakish quick. But his pure small guy offfensive game is often considered as selfish. Chen tried to hard to copy Iverson's game. No good. He will suffer as any one who tries too play Iverson type of basketball did. Heck even Iverson himself has tried to get away from his own game.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:30 pm
Posts: 1269Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:36 am
Tang Man wrote:
robWu wrote:
well part of it is rubio has a world class team around him........Chen has yao yi, and bunch of retarded squirrels running around him.....Chen throws a tough pass and it's a turnover.......Rubio throws a tough pass, it turns into a great looking alley oop.......

let's not mistake this..........Rubio made tons of mistakes in the tournament, and outside of the US game, didnt do jack......well unless you count stealing the ball off of liu wei but I bet i can do that if given the opportunity........

WHen Rubio f's up, people forget cause he stays inthe game and gives you a couple flashes.......chen comes in and is gone with 20 seconds so he doesnt even have the same opportunity...........


That's where you are wrong. Yes the casual fan may look at the flashy things Rubio does well. However it's non flashy stuff that is so impressive for me. He is very composed under pressure even against the US. Can you say that about any of the Chinese gaurds including Chen Jianghua? I don't think so. His vision and passing ability is above that of anyone his age that I've seen for a while. However the thing that impressed me the most, is his ability to run an offense. Chen doesn't even know the meaning of running an offense. So while Rubio may not look like he is doing anything to you, to the well trained eye he is doing all the TEAM thing like getting the ball safely up the court, put his teammates in good position to score. That's what a PG is supposed to do, not turn the ball over, go on wild drives to the basket and not finishing and thus let the other team rebound and run the other way. More importantly can't get the ball into good position for his teammates to score.

If Rubio played for CNT Yao would totally dominate and I would venture to say CNT would have finished in the top 4. That's how good this kid is at doing the job of a PG. The only thing that is going to hold Rubio back from being a great PG is his attitude.


you have to admit, rubio running an offense is possible because he's playing with world class teammates...... put Rubio on CNT and there's not even an offense to run........when Rubio's on the floor, he's got 4 people he can pass it to who can make him look good, CHen's got one guy, if Yao is even on the floor.

poise against the US??Dont know what game you were watching, Rubio didnt really run much of an offense......Spain did best when he was doing nothing except watch Navarro's flip shot, Fernandez's one on one and pick and rolls with gasol that kept spain in the game. the only reason chen feels like he has to do more is because he's got a bunch of retarded squirrels on the floor........it's much easier for RUbio to get the ball to teammates to score because on CNT there's only 1 freaking good position to score........

Rubio made so many dumb passes in the olympics i cant even count them all.....first game vs the US he had what? 4 turnovers in maybe 15 minutes?? the 2nd game he brought it up and became non-existent on offense.........yes he's better than chen........but he's way overrated........wild drives and not finishing is basically rubio.....i remember chen actually blocking his lay up attempt....how many times did he try that cross over spin move against the US? and it worked only once.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:06 am
Posts: 11881Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:31 pm
Chen has very good players to get the ball to, like Yao, Wang, Yi and Sun.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 2 of 4
37 posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum