<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming Cross Continent Press Conference

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 56693Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Yao Ming took a break from his rehabilitation to join a cross-continent press conference with select media in Houston, New York, Beijing (and San Jose) using Cisco's TelePresence technology, which allowed him to see the reporters as if they were in the same room with him in Houston.

In it, he talked about his rehabilitation status, his aspiration for an at-least top 8 finish at the Olympics, and answering some questions from the press.

Here are some of the photos of the press conference.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 56693Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Some of the stuff he talked about in the press conference.

[quote]

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gX4- ... wD90HMN5O7

Recovering Yao wants top-eight finish in Beijing

[size=109]By BRIAN MAHONEY

NEW YORK (AP)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:42 pm
I hope Yao really can lead Team China to the top 8

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 125Location: ChicagoJoined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 am
It doesn't matter, I don't feel any difference between Top8, Top16. Top4 is real diffference.

Because it's home game, Yao certainly will try the best, but don't get hurt, don't get frustrated. If people can live with Men's soccer team, they certainly can accept anything from Men's basketball. At least, Yao tried and continues to try, unlike those rich millionaire soccer suckers.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 2660Location: HoustonJoined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
wtf, is there such a thing as Top 8? C'mon, I understand top 4-5 finish, but top 8 sounds ludicrous. That's like handing out awards for everybody mantra, no child left behind....n**** please. If u finish 8, then ur at the bottom..ain't no "top" whatsoever. Thats like like the Nuggets making the playoffs as the 8th seed and saying "we finished top 8!" That's pu**y talk, Yao's already made up his mind that he's comfy if he finishes 8th. Way to set the bar, big guy. When I take an exam, I don't say to myself, "I hope I can get at least a D." Even though China sucks, the objective is the win a gold medal and finish 1st (although unrealistic). F#$ Yao, his mindset all wrong to begin with.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:12 am
Posts: 2749Location: HoustonJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:51 pm
nig1 wrote:
wtf, is there such a thing as Top 8? C'mon, I understand top 4-5 finish, but top 8 sounds ludicrous. That's like handing out awards for everybody mantra, no child left behind....n**** please. If u finish 8, then ur at the bottom..ain't no "top" whatsoever. Thats like like the Nuggets making the playoffs as the 8th seed and saying "we finished top 8!" That's pu**y talk, Yao's already made up his mind that he's comfy if he finishes 8th. Way to set the bar, big guy. When I take an exam, I don't say to myself, "I hope I can get at least a D." Even though China sucks, the objective is the win a gold medal and finish 1st (although unrealistic). F#$ Yao, his mindset all wrong to begin with.

Yao's mindset is absolutely correct after years of "A special season, It's time, be part of something Big". Year after year of prediction of championships in the NBA and now the Olympics. Yao has endured year after year of disappointment.

Yao has a better perspective on what it takes to truly be a champion. No more preditions, less talk more action. Let your play on the court determine your true worth. I doubt you will ever find Yao saying that this is the year. T-Mac, Rafer, Battier, Landry, Scola...nobody is going to say, this is the year anymore. It's not easy to be the Champion.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:35 am
nig1 wrote:
If u finish 8, then ur at the bottom..ain't no "top" whatsoever. Thats like like the Nuggets making the playoffs as the 8th seed and saying "we finished top 8!" That's pu**y talk, Yao's already made up his mind that he's comfy if he finishes 8th. Way to set the bar, big guy. When I take an exam, I don't say to myself, "I hope I can get at least a D." Even though China sucks, the objective is the win a gold medal and finish 1st (although unrealistic). F#$ Yao, his mindset all wrong to begin with.

Mind your foul language. :twisted:

There is nothing wrong to aim for Top 8, and work from there. You said it yourself, it is unrealistic to aim for gold medal. So why aim that high to add pressure to yourself, the team and the head coach?

As a matter of fact, Yao Ming is doing this sort of protecting his coach, Jonas Kazlauskas, a coach he respects. He set the target low and realistic, such that the CBA heads won't set unrealistic goals for the team to add unnecessary pressure to the team and the head coach.

Offline Profile