<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  2008 NBA All-Star- New Orleans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm
User avatarPosts: 2159Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:06 pm
Any news on our boys, yi and yao yet? please post some pics. Don't forget to watch the rookies vs sophmores tonite at 8pm central time on TNT.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:32 pm
Posts: 8229Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
yi vs rudy gay

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:58 pm
Check out this article.
The author ranked the NBA All Stars -- like a power ranking but on individual players.
Yao comes in at 4 place.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Scola set for rookie game after emerging as starter
Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam, Friday, 8 p.m.

Damien Pierce
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- During the NBA's All-Star weekend in New Orleans, Luis Scola is slated to participate in the Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam.

The problem for Scola?

The Rockets rookie isn't exactly sure how his gritty game will fit into an exhibition that tends to resemble a Harlem Globetrotters performance.

"I'm not really good for that kind of a game," Scola admitted. "I don't have any dunks or cross-over dribbles."

Fortunately for the Rockets, Scola isn't having trouble fitting his low-key game into Houston's starting lineup.

Nearly four months into his NBA career, the rookie with the shaggy hair has found his niche in the Rockets' starting five.

He has become an ideal fit next to Yao Ming and the Rockets' offense has thrived with his added scoring punch.

The Rockets are 7-1 and riding a season-best seven-game winning streak since the forward joined the starting lineup. The lone setback came when Scola started in place of Yao because of an illness to the All-Star center.

Besides boosting Houston's win total, the 6-foot-9 forward's numbers have flourished in his new role. He is sinking 56.8 percent of his shots and averaging 11.8 points -- roughly four points higher than his scoring average coming off the bench.

He's not flashy. But the rookie is getting the job done.

"Luis is such a heady player," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. "He's a guy that plays the pick and roll great. He finds gaps. He just makes things happen. He's done a great job of playing off Yao and Tracy (McGrady). He has really elevated our offense."

Scola's insertion into the starting five has opened things up for Yao.

Unsurprisingly, the Rockets' All-Star center has spent much of the first half of the season surrounded by opposing defenses. But with Scola in the lineup, teams are having a harder time doubling Yao.

The rookie power forward has taken advantage of openings in the defense by draining 15-footers and finding openings in the lane with his crafty moves. On top of that, Scola's relentless energy makes him a threat on the offensive glass.

The rookie's hot shooting hand has forced defenses to pay more attention to him, loosening things up for Yao.

That, according to Scola, is his job.

"With me as a power forward, I need to try to help Yao as much as I can," Scola said. "I really have to watch how he plays and try to make him play better by freeing him up. I have to take some of the pressure off him. Everybody is collapsing on him. We need to take that away. I have to learn how to play for him."

Yao has noticed a difference with Scola as his sidekick.

During a recent win over Golden State, the Rockets center was once again expecting to be surrounded by the Warriors' swarming defense. Golden State had effectively doubled Yao in previous meetings by fronting him with Al Harrington and getting backside help from the power forward spot.

But that all changed with Scola in the lineup. The Rockets rookie drained a few jump shots early in the game and forced Golden State's defense to acknowledge his presence. With that, Yao suddenly got free.

The center ended up producing 36 points and 19 rebounds.

"They can not have their four man double team me that much," Yao said. "If they do, Luis will make them pay a lot."

The Rockets, of course, came into the season hoping that Scola would have that effect. But since Scola has spent his whole career playing playing overseas, it took the 27-year old rookie some time to get adjusted to life in the NBA.

Initially, the forward struggled to stay out of foul trouble and locate his shooting touch. He was averaging a modest 3.9 points on 41.7 percent shooting through the first month of the season.

But four months into his rookie campaign, Scola is finding his comfort level with the NBA. He's knocking down shots and he hasn't been riddled with foul trouble like he was at the start of the season.

The improved play has made him one of the top rookies in the NBA, earning him that invite to the showcase event for the NBA's top young talent -- the Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam.

"He's at the point now where he's seen guys play and he's seen teams play," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "He's more comfortable defending than he was before. Early in the year, I don't know if he could play people in the post and stay out of foul trouble. But now, he's more experienced and understands what the league will allow him to do and not do."

That has allowed the Rockets to put Scola into the starting lineup. The rookie feels comfortable with his new role and likes how he is fitting in with his teammates.

"Now, I feel much more adapted to my teammates and to the coaches," Scola said. "I know them better. We're still learning from each other, but we're playing well. That's the most important thing."

Scola, though, isn't so sure how he'll fit in with his rookie teammates during the Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam.

Despite his improved play, Scola isn't known for throwing down mind-boggling dunks or making other flashy plays.

He'll bring his own style to the Rookie Challenge and Youth Jam -- the same one that is boosting the Rockets.

"I'm just going to try to enjoy it," Scola said. "I'm going to play to win. That's the only way I know how to play."

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:01 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
After spending 23 hours with his wife on February 14, Valentine's Day, Yao Ming took a late night flight into New Orleans, and showed up on February 15's NBA All Stars Media Day.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
The other All Stars during Open Media Day.......

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:17 pm
The All Stars on the Eastern Conference facing the media

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Yao Ming soon spurned into action....and was joined by Jet Li, internationally renowned Kung Fu star in a NBA Cares activity......

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:45 pm
As for Luis Scola and Yi Jianlian, they are already in the team practice with the other Rookies in preparation for the Rookies versus Sophomores game that is to start in another 2 hours' time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:54 pm
MORE photos of Yao Ming during the Open Media Day and the Hands On New Orleans event during the NBA All Star Weekend Day of Service at the Capdau School February 15, 2008 in New Orleans, Louisiana, joined by no ohter else by his great old buddy, Uncle Mutombo !!!

Offline Profile