<  Non-Yao stuff  ~  Outrage at Chinese prostitutes' shame parade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:16 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0 ... 64,00.html
深圳示眾妓女嫖客被批傷公民尊嚴
http://www.epochtimes.com/b5/6/12/1/n1540746.htm

A parade of prostitutes and their clients aimed at naming and shaming sex workers in southern China has sparked a backlash by an unusual coalition of lawyers, academics and the All-China Women's Federation.

As part of a two-month crackdown on vice in the booming city of Shenzhen, public security officers handcuffed about 100 women and some of their male customers, dressed them in bright yellow prison tunics and hauled them through the streets.

The parade, which took place on November 29, attracted large crowds of curious onlookers.

Although the women tried to cover their faces with surgical masks, it was not enough to hide their identities because police revealed their names, hometowns and dates of birth while publicly sentencing them all to 15 days in prison.

In a sign of the increased consciousness of individual versus social rights, police were criticised for going too far.

"I think the parade is a violation of human rights," said Ai Xiaoming, a professor at Guangdong's Sun Yat-Set University. "The public humiliation may frighten people, but it is not a good way for resolving problems. And it is not fair - why are only sex criminals paraded in public? What about people guilty of graft and corruption?"

The All-China Women's Federation has filed a formal protest with the ministry of public security, saying the parade was "old-fashioned, damaging to social harmony" and "an insult to all the women in China".

There was a surge of critical comment on internet bulletin boards about the ethical problems of the punishment. Legal questions were also raised by Yao Jianguo of the Shanghai Promise Law Firm, who has written a letter of complaint to the National People's Congress in which he accused the police of acting illegally and violating human dignity.

The resurgence of the "skin-and-flesh" trade has become increasingly visible since the start of China's free market economic reforms in the late 1970s.

Among the most notorious centres are Shenzhen and Zhuhai - the biggest mainland cities near wealthy Hong Kong - where there are streets full of pink-lit karaoke centres and massage parlours.

Previous attempts to tackle the industry have had mixed results. Three years ago, the organisers of an orgy by more than 200 Japanese sex tourists and local prostitutes were sentenced to life imprisonment. Earlier this year, thousands of armed police were deployed in Shenzhen to quash a protest by more than 3,000 prostitutes and karaoke hostesses who were left without jobs after the closure of massage parlours and discos.

Last edited by supermike on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:04 pm
ackkk. everything is human rights to the them. i am so sick of it.

These people deserved to put in shame for the type of work they do. specially the "clients". They should notify their families.

however, I do think the Chinese government should go after the criminals that fostering the "meal" market.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:04 pm
battousai wrote:

These people deserved to put in shame for the type of work they do. specially the "clients". They should notify their families.

however, I do think the Chinese government should go after the criminals that fostering the "meal" market.

Um duh, because countries are being founded on Human Rights now.

If you organize/protest such that human rights are withheld, we'll just be going backwards in history.

China has more problems to worry about than pushing for humility of the prostitution circle.

and whats up with these threads, I'm chinese but why are you throwing politics up here, are you trying to start a confrontation between Japanese + Chinese?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:28 pm
YaoMingFan11 wrote:

and whats up with these threads, I'm chinese but why are you throwing politics up here, are you trying to start a confrontation between Japanese + Chinese?

what's the matter? can't handle the truth? :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:32 pm
Posts: 673Location: Iowa City, IowaJoined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:16 am
supermike wrote:
YaoMingFan11 wrote:

shutthefuckup dingdongshit!!!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:27 am
supermike wrote:
YaoMingFan11 wrote:

More off childish.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:32 am
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
But isn't prostituion the lessest issue to be concerned?

I mean without these prostitues, there will be an increasing rise of raping cases?

The thieves and murders should be more concerned issues. ..

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
battousai wrote:

World's oldest profession! It is legal in an area near Las Vegas. There will be a lot of action during All-Star weekend! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:00 am
that's an excuse with the rape scenario. There is no way to get rid of that profession, but at least keep it at a minimal level.

Nowadays, you can go into a hairsalon or a therapy place can they turn into a whore house. They are like a convenient store one in every corner.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:46 am
wucool33 wrote:
supermike wrote:
YaoMingFan11 wrote:

shutthefuckup dingdongshit!!!

aren't you glad you live in US? I bet you must feel real lucky about yourself right now eh? you can go fvck a whore and get a way with it no problem :P

Offline Profile