Author Message

<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Jeremy Lin Beijing Ducks & CBA thread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:03 pm
Posts: 1500Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
What do you mean by making no sense? Yellow African is a gentle way of conveying the meaning of Chigga.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 pm
Posts: 4668Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
directshoot wrote:
What do you mean by making no sense? Yellow African is a gentle way of conveying the meaning of Chigga.


What is a Yellow African? And what does it have to do with Yi Jianlian?


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 am
Posts: 1500Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
Many basketball experts in China used to think Yi was the most talented basketball player they had ever seen in their lives. He is so talented as those African athletes that he can be considered as black expats if he changes his skin color. So this is where the term Yellow African is from.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:53 pm
Posts: 4668Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
directshoot wrote:
Many basketball experts in China used to think Yi was the most talented basketball player they had ever seen in their lives. He is so talented as those African athletes that he can be considered as black expats if he changes his skin color. So this is where the term Yellow African is from.


Crazy...because Yao is a far more talented basketball player than Yi.


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 am
Posts: 1500Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
Well Yao is gifted for his height and shooting skills as both his parents were pro players of Shanghai Sharks. His mom was the captain of Team China. Similar as Wang Zhizhi. Wang's parents were Beijing Duck pro players. Yao and Wang were rivalries in CBA representing Beijing and Shanghai.

But Yi is more of a freak of nature. Yi's physical athleticism is once-in-a-life-time like Zion Williamson. His parents were pro handball players from Guangdong. So yes, Yi can be considered as a yellow African for sure.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:19 am
Posts: 1500Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
Sun Yue and Liu Wei are also very gifted players. They were the best native PGs in CBA and both offered positions by NBA a decade ago---Kings and Lakers. Liu worked fore several months, Sun worked for a year and luckily got a ring!

Liu is even shorter than Lin, about 6'1. He and Yao were center-PG duo both in Shanghai Sharks and Team China. Probably the best duo in Chinese basketball history.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:15 am
Posts: 4668Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
directshoot wrote:
Well Yao is gifted for his height and shooting skills as both his parents were pro players of Shanghai Sharks. His mom was the captain of Team China. Similar as Wang Zhizhi. Wang's parents were Beijing Duck pro players. Yao and Wang were rivalries in CBA representing Beijing and Shanghai.

But Yi is more of a freak of nature. Yi's physical athleticism is once-in-a-life-time like Zion Williamson. His parents were pro handball players from Guangdong. So yes, Yi can be considered as a yellow African for sure.


Talented basketball player and physical athleticism are two very different things. Agree that Yi has amazing physical athleticism, but he is not nearly the talented basketball player that Yao was.

Still don't know what you mean by "yellow African"...is Yao a "yellow African"?


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:18 am
Posts: 4668Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
directshoot wrote:
Sun Yue and Liu Wei are also very gifted players. They were the best native PGs in CBA and both offered positions by NBA a decade ago---Kings and Lakers. Liu worked fore several months, Sun worked for a year and luckily got a ring!

Liu is even shorter than Lin, about 6'1. He and Yao were center-PG duo both in Shanghai Sharks and Team China. Probably the best duo in Chinese basketball history.


Sun Yue and Liu Wei are not gifted players. They are good players compared to other Chinese players, but they are not NBA-calibre players. Jeremy Lin is a talented basketball player...not an amazing physical athlete, but an NBA-calibre basketball player.


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:51 am
Posts: 1500Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
PhilNYC wrote:
directshoot wrote:
Well Yao is gifted for his height and shooting skills as both his parents were pro players of Shanghai Sharks. His mom was the captain of Team China. Similar as Wang Zhizhi. Wang's parents were Beijing Duck pro players. Yao and Wang were rivalries in CBA representing Beijing and Shanghai.

But Yi is more of a freak of nature. Yi's physical athleticism is once-in-a-life-time like Zion Williamson. His parents were pro handball players from Guangdong. So yes, Yi can be considered as a yellow African for sure.


Talented basketball player and physical athleticism are two very different things. Agree that Yi has amazing physical athleticism, but he is not nearly the talented basketball player that Yao was.

Still don't know what you mean by "yellow African"...is Yao a "yellow African"?


Yes, Yao is definitely a yellow African. He's a Chinese Tacko Fall. In reverse, Tacko Fall is an African Yao.
Actually, Yao's best friends are all from Africa, like Dikembe Mutombo, Hakeem Olajuwon, etc.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 pm
Posts: 1500Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
PhilNYC wrote:
directshoot wrote:
Sun Yue and Liu Wei are also very gifted players. They were the best native PGs in CBA and both offered positions by NBA a decade ago---Kings and Lakers. Liu worked fore several months, Sun worked for a year and luckily got a ring!

Liu is even shorter than Lin, about 6'1. He and Yao were center-PG duo both in Shanghai Sharks and Team China. Probably the best duo in Chinese basketball history.


Sun Yue and Liu Wei are not gifted players. They are good players compared to other Chinese players, but they are not NBA-calibre players. Jeremy Lin is a talented basketball player...not an amazing physical athlete, but an NBA-calibre basketball player.



Lin is at another level comparing with these two guys, I agree. IMO, Lin is kinda in the middle of between Yao and Sun. Lin won't be a HOFer like Yao for sure, b/c he's only a journey man in the NBA. But he has his Linsanity moment and a ring. He played in NBA for eight seasons, while Liu&Sun just briefly played here.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 19 of 21
201 posts
Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum