Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

<  Yao's impact on the Asian community  ~  Steve Kerr apologized for calling Yao "Chinaman"!

mdking
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2363548

Kerr apologizes
TNT analyst Steve Kerr apologized Tuesday for using the term "Chinaman" in reference to Rockets center Yao Ming during the network's broadcast of the Rockets-Grizzlies game Monday.

Kerr, the longtime guard with the Bulls and Spurs who is in his first year as a broadcaster, said he was incorrect in his assumption that the phrase was an acceptable way to describe a Chinese man.

"I apologize for my ignorance," he said. "I was thinking of the term Frenchman and Dutchman, and I had no idea it was used as a demeaning term in any way.

"I feel terrible about it, and I apologize to anybody who was offended."

A Turner Sports spokesman added, "We apologize to any fans who were offended by the comment and appreciate Steve's sensitivity."

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I am sorry I have to start a whole new topic on this forum on top of all these busy threads. I just do not want you to miss this. I congradulate and thank you guys who wrote emails to TNT complaining. We the fan made him to apologize. I am disgusted by some who still self-degrading themselves, and calling themselves CHinese.
dodonose
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
that was very classy of kerr to issue the apologogy and accept the fact that he was ignorant of the term instead of being defensive about his ignorance. i always thought kerr a classy guy and now i think he's even more classy!
msger99
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Kerr did act like a sportsman with a distinguished NBA career. He also wrote a piece on Yao, but its content is somewhat outdated and superfacial

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqam1ocWIyBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwNlY2w-?slug=sk-yao&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
pryuen
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote
mdking wrote:
I am sorry I have to start a whole new topic on this forum on top of all these busy threads. I just do not want you to miss this. I congradulate and thank you guys who wrote emails to TNT complaining. We the fan made him to apologize. I am disgusted by some who still self-degrading themselves, and calling themselves CHinese.

Mdking

Thanks....but did you realize that John our Administrator has ALREADY communicated with us on this news 5 hours AHEAD of you in another forum ???? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Wink

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2335
big_yaofan
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
That's great news. I feel 100% vindicated. I was 100% correct and I have no regrets about ANYTHING that I said.

If some have problems with that, go to hell.

There are a lot of pathetic chinese people here who actually think Yao Ming being called a "chinaman" isn't that bad.

You people are pathetic and need to grow some balls!

As for caojiinks, you're an idiot. I read what you wrote. You want to take me on? You moron. You're so infatuated with XRayMom and cry just because I complained to her. And you call yourself a chinaman! You're no chinese brother of mine. Pathetic.

To all the STRONG CHINESE OUT THERE, have a happy Chinese New Years! Laughing
YaoShouldGoToTheEast
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2004 Posts: 122 Location: UC Berkeley, GO BEARS!
Wow... Kudos to Kerr for having the guts to openly admit that he made a mistake and apologize for it... Chinamen is a very derogitory term and I guess it's quite sad that most FOB's don't know that... if anything they're the ones that should get most offended by it... But yeah... personally I feel that now that Kerr apologized, I'm not really pissed off anymore... and I do believe that it was an honest mistake.
MnYaoFan
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Kerr has class alright!

He's NO rush limbaugh.
outsider_looking_in
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:37 am Reply with quote
YaoShouldGoToTheEast wrote:
Wow... Kudos to Kerr for having the guts to openly admit that he made a mistake and apologize for it... Chinamen is a very derogitory term and I guess it's quite sad that most FOB's don't know that... if anything they're the ones that should get most offended by it... But yeah... personally I feel that now that Kerr apologized, I'm not really pissed off anymore... and I do believe that it was an honest mistake.

it WAS an honest mistake. and it was unfortunately overblown. and Kerr would've graciously given his apologies even if no one had asked for it.
it would've been fitting if he'd said it on air during the game, but then again it wasn't really the proper venue for it.

it's sad how some people exacerbated the issue. ignorance is one thing, stupidity is another.
YaoMingLoyalist
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:14 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jul 2003 Posts: 4156 Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!
Kerr is a cool guy, just forgive him if you felt offended from what he said.
rai
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:53 am Reply with quote
I have been reading the discussion board for quite some time. Good job guys! This is my first post. I have satellite TV and have seen virtually all the Rockets games the past 2 seasons (maybe missed 2-3). This is not the first time that I have heard a commentator refer to Yao Ming as a 'Chinaman.' I know I have heard it at least 3-4 times. I think John Thompson called him that too. But I am not 100% positive on that. Has anyone else heard the 'Chinaman' phrase referred to Yao Ming before this?