<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  Crazy Scene At Qingdao as TMAC Arrives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:35 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
It was CLOSE TO RIOT at the Qingdao Liuting International Airport this morning (October 24) when Tracy McGrady landed Qingdao via Seoul of Korea.

Die-hard TMAC fans were gathering 2 to 3 hours before his arrival around 08:45 am with all kinds of banners and pictures.

Here are some of the photos of these crazy fans at the Qingdao airport waiting for TMAC's arrival.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

The fans/crowd just erupted at the sight of TMAC when he walked out of the immigration.

The Qingdao Double Star Eagles had to send their junior team to meet TMAC upon arrival at the airport and be his body guards separating him from the maddening rushing crowd.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Qingdao Double Star Eagles reserved a Rolls Royce to send Tracy McGrady from the airport to the Qingdao Castle Boutique Hotel.

This hotel is pretty unique; it was built in 1903; constructed in the then popular Art Nouveau style and surrounded by mountains and the sea, it used to be the former office and residence of the German governor when Qingdao was a German colony.

It was then renamed the Qingdao State Guest House in 1934, and used to house famous politicians and state guests (such as Chairman Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai, Deng Xiaoping, Prince Sihanouk, Ho Chi Minh etc etc.).

Then it was acquired by a local Qingdao multi-billionaire and refurbished and renamed the Qingdao Castle Boutique Hotel in 2008 , but it still retained the classical feel of the original structures but combined it with other modern elements. With beautiful gardens and majestic sea views, the Qingdao Castle Boutique Hotel is one of the few remaining classical German-style hotels in China and the world.

The hotel management specifically arranged some traditional Chinese lion dance to welcome TMAC upon his arrival.[/b]

After a quick bunch with his team at the hotel, TMAC went to inspect the basketball stadium at Qingdao before returning to the hotel for some much needed rest.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 15458Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
I thought Tmac can't play in China because of shoe contract disputes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
I thought Tmac can't play in China because of shoe contract disputes.

Road block had been removed as Li Ning & Co and Adidas sort of compromised; every major brand (Adidas, Nike, Converse, Jordan, China Peak, Anta etc. etc. etc.) will have 1 free quota for only 1 of their endorsed star player to wear their brand; so Adidas just alloted that quota to TMAC and thus solving the issue/dispute.

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... 699#423699

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 am
Qingdao Double Star Eagles threw a welcome reception for Tracy McGrady this evening.

The chairman of the Qingdao Double Star Group personally greeted TMAC and gifted him shoes produced by Double Star Group, which is one of the biggest low-cost athletic shoes/gears producers in China.

When asked by reporters why he chose to play in CBA and join Qingdao Double Star Eagles, as usual, without a frist-hand knowledge of the strength of other CBA teams, TMAC boasted that he knew he had huge fan base in China, and he thought he could still play basketball for a couple of years, and he wanted to emulate and excel Stephon Marbury to lead the Qingdao Double Star Eagles to a CBA championship.

When asked why he chose #9 instead of #1 as his jersey number, he said he wanted to start a new career and therefore he did not want #1 jersey.

He also told reporters that in order to be close to Qingdao Double Star Eagles' new basketball stadium, he would move out from Qingdao Castle Boutique Hotel and move into another 5-star hotel, Qingdao Haitian Hotel which is close to the new stadium, such that it will be more convenient and time-saving for him to go for his daily training/scrimmage sessions.

Here are some photos of TMAC at tonight's welcome reception dinner hosted by the Qingdao Double Star Group; also photos of what he ate in his lunch in Qingdao Castle Boutique Hotel, the Qingdao Haitian Hotel and a photo-shopped TMAC in his #9 Qingdao Double Star Eagles jersey.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 am
Posts: 8229Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
u can only get his kind of treatment in china. i never see fans go that crazy for tmac (has been) even in the us. :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 4732Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
I Google Earth'ed Qingdao and I see soccer stadiums and arena. But I don't see any parking lots. how the heck do thousand of fans get to the games?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 pm
There aren't so many cars in China as in US. They will go there on foot.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm
yaominginfohere wrote:
I Google Earth'ed Qingdao and I see soccer stadiums and arena. But I don't see any parking lots. how the heck do thousand of fans get to the games?

I don't know WHICH Qingdao sports centre/stadium you've googled. :roll:

Qingdao Double Star Eagles used to have the stadium at Qingdao University as its home court.

But since that stadium could only house 4000 spectators, and right after TMAC's joining, with the support from Qingdao muncipal government they decided to move their home court to Qingdao Guoxin Gymnasium (officially known as Qingdao Sports Center Stadium).

http://baike.baidu.com/view/1488199.htm

Qingtao Guoxin Gymnasium also known as the Diamond is specifically built for China 11st National Games. It is an indoor sporting arena that hosts indoor sporting events such as badminton, skating, table-tennis, basketball and volleyball. Its multiple function sports center meets NBA requirements.

Unlike the small stadium in Qingdao University, the capacity of the arena can host up to 12,500 spectators.

As for parking, the Qingdao Guoxin Gymnasium can house some 3000 cars outside, with another 7 parking lots situated in its vicinity.

Image.

Offline Profile