Author Message

<  The Olympics  ~  Chinese Track and Field at London 2012

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:18 am
User avatarPosts: 4464Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
pryuen wrote:
bamboodragon wrote:
Not sure what happened. He was doing just fine in previous competitions leading up to the Olympics. Over training?


Well he withdrew from the London Diamond League on July 13, as his Achille tendon injury recurred.

His condition did not improve while he was in Leverkusen doing his final preparation for the Olympics.

When I read that he needed 2 injections of pain-killer prior to the race,
I already had that BAD feeling that he will crash out of this preliminary heat.


didn't he withdraw from that because of a back injury?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 am
Posts: 17509Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:31 pm
Shi Dongpeng's result is his crappiest in years.

I have a feeling Liu's coaches mishandled the training. They had 4 yrs to prepare for this. Probably they wanted to win so much that they risk injury. He tied the world record in June and now this.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 am
User avatarPosts: 4464Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
can't believe this was just 3 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n56nSoUa7s


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 am
Posts: 4484Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
superjohn wrote:
What happened, 4 out of 8 athletes could not finish?

But XIE Wenjun qualified for semi-finals.


I didn't see it, but read that at least one of the other athletes stopped before the finish line and waited for him to cross the finish line out of huge respect for him...


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
SAD END to another Olympics, probably his last Olympic and maybe even his career.

It was a HEARTBREAKER to witness Liu Xiang hopping to complete his 110 meters hurdle race, and kissed the last hurdle, and then wheel-chaired off to leave the track/field.

A chapter closed for the GREATEST track and field STAR of China. NOT SURE WHEN the NEXT Chinese sprinter male or female will appear onto the international scene.



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
pryuen wrote:
SAD END to another Olympics, probably his last Olympic and maybe even his career.

It was a HEARTBREAKER to witness Liu Xiang hopping to complete his 110 meters hurdle race, and kissed the last hurdle, and then wheel-chaired off to leave the track/field.

A chapter closed for the GREATEST track and field STAR of China. NOT SURE WHEN the NEXT Chinese sprinter male or female will appear onto the international scene.





Well I hope it's not the end of his career. A great champion does not deserve to go out this way or be remember for what has happened in the last two Olympics. Still has the talent to be competitive. So it would be good to see him race again and be able to leave the sport on his own terms.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:32 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Tang Man wrote:

Well I hope it's not the end of his career. A great champion does not deserve to go out this way or be remember for what has happened in the last two Olympics. Still has the talent to be competitive. So it would be good to see him race again and be able to leave the sport on his own terms.


Well, he is 29 years old now.

According to the latest news, it is suspected he had slapped and broken the Achilles tendon on his right foot again, and probably would require surgery immediately to repair it.

Did you remember how long it take for its recuperation/rehabilitation to get back into competitive form and shape???


1 to 2 years before running again, then another 1 to 2 years back into competitive shape and form.

NOT EVERYONE IS ALLEN JOHNSON who can compete at the top level all the way to 39 years old.


Like Faye Wong, the famous diva posted on her weibo to comfort Liu Xiang: "Don't be too sad. It's no big deal. There are too many other hurdles to overcome in one's life."

IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON WITH HIS LIFE !!!




Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 am
User avatarPosts: 15458Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Time to move on. He is a champion, and has nothing to prove.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:41 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
pryuen wrote:
Well, he is 29 years old now.

According to the latest news, it is suspected he had slapped and broken the Achilles tendon on his right foot again, and probably would require surgery immediately to repair it.

Did you remember how long it take for its recuperation/rehabilitation to get back into competitive form and shape???


1 to 2 years before running again, then another 1 to 2 years back into competitive shape and form.

NOT EVERYONE IS ALLEN JOHNSON who can compete at the top level all the way to 39 years old.


Like Faye Wong, the famous diva posted on her weibo to comfort Liu Xiang: "Don't be too sad. It's no big deal. There are too many other hurdles to overcome in one's life."

IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON WITH HIS LIFE !!!




No one said it's going to be easy. However I am sure Liu Xiang didn't get to where he got to by quitting when the going got tough. It was only a few months ago where he was in world record form. So the talent is still there but it just depends on his health I guess. If he can get his health right I don't know why he wouldn't want to run again even if it's just in the Shanghai Grand Prix.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
Time to move on. He is a champion, and has nothing to prove.


That would have been true if he made the finals in London and got a medal of any colour.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 5 of 23
221 posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum