Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Volvo Gets Ready to Reveal Jeremy Lin Endorsement Deal

Malorkayel
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/03/19/volvo-gets-ready-to-reveal-jeremy-lin-endorsement-deal/

Quote:
The U.S. arm of Swedish car brand Volvo said on Monday it expects to unveil a marketing agreement with U.S. basketball star Jeremy Lin that will cover several international markets.

Volvo Cars of North America, Volvo’s sales unit based in Rockleigh, N.J., sent out invitations to a press conference in New York to “announce a dynamic marketing partnership with Jeremy Lin, the popular New York Knicks point guard.” The deal would leverage “the Swedish car maker’s sports heritage,” and Mr. Lin would “help establish the brand with younger and performance-minded customers,” the invitation said.

The press conference is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. Monday New York time, according to the invite.

It would be one of the first major corporate deals for the 23-year-old New York Knick, who ascended from basketball benchdom to stardom earlier this year. Mr. Lin, the U.S.-born son of Taiwanese immigrants, has captivated Chinese basketball fans, hungry for a hero since the retirement of former Houston Rockets star Yao Ming.

Mr. Lin has an agreement with Nike Inc. reached when he was a rookie that the shoe maker is moving to tap, with plans for a Lin-themed shoe.

It was still unclear exactly what the value would be of the deal or what exact terms it would involve, but the invitation to the press conference noted that Mr. Lin is expected to help Volvo’s marketing efforts in several international markets. Previously, people familiar with the matter had said that the deal would cover the greater China market.

The symbolism of such a deal would be rich. Volvo is now owned by China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. The company is trying to boost Volvo sales in China as part of a strategy to double the brand’s global sales to 800,000 vehicles by 2020. Geely plans to invest up to $11 billion in the effort.

Volvo sold about 47,000 cars in the country last year, up 54% from 2010.

The Knicks are riding a three-game win streak since the sudden resignation of head coach Mike D’Antoni earlier this month. In the most recent of those victories, a 115-100 road win over the Indiana Pacers on Saturday, Mr. Lin led New York with 19 points and six assists, propelling “Linsanity Attacks Again” (林疯狂再度来袭) into the top 10 on popular Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo’s trending topics list. “Yao [Ming] is a Chinese legend, impossible to duplicate,” one Weibo user wrote on Sunday. “Lin is an American dream – he’s more inspirational.”

Mr. Lin is nearing 2.6 million followers on Weibo, up more than half a million since talk of the Volvo deal surfaced early last week.

– Norihiko Shirouzu with contributions from Josh Chin
PhilNYC
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Volvo wasn't on my radar for my next car, but this might change things...
R0cket
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
I don't like this stuff, seems presumptuous to me.

Lin hasn't really accomplished that much in the NBA to warrant all this.

He should wait until he does.

Crowning him prematurely like this will only make fans on the road hate him even more.

More importantly, it could jinx him. Never anger the basketball gods. Just ask Lebron.

Do not like!
Malorkayel
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It was still unclear exactly what the value would be of the deal or what exact terms it would involve, but the invitation to the press conference noted that Mr. Lin is expected to help Volvo’s marketing efforts in several international markets. Previously, people familiar with the matter had said that the deal would cover the greater China market.

We'll find out more later today. It definitely covers marketing in China.

It might or might not reach the USA and other countries.
PhilNYC
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
R0cket wrote:

Crowning him prematurely like this will only make fans on the road hate him even more.

More importantly, it could jinx him. Never anger the basketball gods. Just ask Lebron.

Do not like!

I have no problems with it...am happy to see him getting rewarded for everything he has done for the Asian-American community...
PhilNYC
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
R0cket wrote:

Do not like!

I have no problems with it...am happy to see him getting rewarded for everything he has done for the Asian-American community...
temuchin
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
R0cket wrote:

Do not like!

lol well getting endorsements is part of the deal. he can deal with it

here's the previous blog entry on the subject. it makes it sound more like it's to sell cars in China

Quote:
Jeremy Lin to Help Drive Volvo Sales in China?

U.S. basketball star Jeremy Lin is in talks with Chinese-owned Volvo to endorse the Swedish car brand in China, according to a person familiar with the matter.

If the talks lead to an agreement, it would mark one of the first major corporate deals for the 23-year-old New York Knicks starter since his ascent to basketball stardom earlier this year. Mr. Lin, the U.S.-born son of Taiwanese immigrants, has captivated Chinese basketball fans who are hungry for a hero after the retirement of former Houston Rockets star Yao Ming.

It isn’t clear whether a deal would be struck between Mr. Lin and Volvo, which is owned by China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co., or how much one might be worth. The knowledgeable person said the transaction, which has been negotiated for about three weeks, is “for the time being for the greater China market.”

Other companies are moving quickly to tap Mr. Lin’s popularity in China. German sports apparel company Adidas AG plans to roll out the New York Knicks star’s jersey across its network of 6,700 stores in China. Adidas Chief Executive Herbert Hainer has said he expects the jersey would likely become a hot-selling item in China.

Geely is trying to boost Volvo sales in China as part of a strategy to double the brand’s global sales to 800,000 vehicles by 2020. Nearly half of the targeted sales volume is expected to be generated in China. Volvo sold about 47,000 cars in China last year, up 54% from 2010. Geely plans to invest up to $11 billion in the effort.

Mr. Lin, who went undrafted out of Harvard and played only scattered minutes his first year in the National Basketball Association last year, became an instant global star after a torrid stretch in February during which he led the New York Knicks to seven straight victories, setting a new NBA record with 136 points in his first five starts.

Mr. Lin racked up roughly a million new followers on Sina Weibo, China’s most active Twitter-like microblogging service, in the first half of February. He now has nearly 2.5 million Weibo followers, versus less than 650,000 on Twitter.

China is home to around 300 million basketball fans, according to NBA estimates.

News of the talks between Volvo and Mr. Lin was reported on Tuesday by Bloomberg.

Quote:

phil it doesn't have ****** with what he's done for the "asian american" community. no one related to the deal even gives a ****** what's going on with asian americans. he's getting rewarded for being born to Chinese parents. this is a deal for the international (read: China) market, not the domestic US
PhilNYC
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
temuchin wrote:

phil it doesn't have ****** with what he's done for the "asian american" community. no one related to the deal even gives a ****** what's going on with asian americans. he's getting rewarded for being born to Chinese parents. this is a deal for the international (read: China) market, not the domestic US

For me, it has everything to do with how happy I am about this. I wouldn't give a damn about Jeremy Lin if he wasn't Asian-American...but because he is, it makes me happy to see him get opportunities like this.
temuchin
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
ok lol fair enough
Malorkayel
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
PhilNYC is the poster child for Asian Americans.

he is frustratingly Asian American. lol