<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  The Starbury Phenomenum in CBA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:54 am
User avatarPosts: 50498Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Stephon Marbury is fastly becoming a phenomenum in China and become the most popular expat basketball players in CBA.

This is his 3rd season in CBA.

He had gelled into his new team Beijing Capital Steel Ducks, and fastly earned the respect of his head coach and young team mates, the recognition and love of the fans, and become the leader and star of the team.

And under his leadership by example, the Beijing Capital Steel Ducks is currently undefeated, with a 9 ~ 0 winning streak to the new season, breaking a 17-year franchise record for the Beijing team.

I will continue to update Stephon Marbury's life in CBA here with this dedicated thread.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 am
User avatarPosts: 13021Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Winning fixes all.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:07 am
User avatarPosts: 50498Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
A pretty comprehensive summary on New York Times a week ago on WHAT happened to the bad boy and lone wolf of NBA in the past 3 years.

[quote]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/sport ... ted=1&_r=2

Away From N.B.A., Finding
Success and Serenity in China

[size=109]By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
Published: December 4, 2011

Stephon Marbury sounded content and tranquil last week as he described his new life in China. Perhaps it was because he was tired; after all, it was nearly midnight in Beijing.

[color=red][b]Or maybe Marbury was simply content.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:10 am
you're not going to find many Starbury fans here, even on YMM.

the guy was an asshole.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:12 am

A MORE recent one on Wall Street Journal (dated December 10, 2011) on his days in China.

[quote]

http://cn.wsj.com/gb/20111210/rcu094340_ENversion.shtml

At Home, in Beijing,
With Stephon Marbury

[size=109]Stephon Marbury, also known now as Ma Bu Li, is making himself at home in China.

Now in his third season with the Chinese Basketball Association, the former NBA star has led the undefeated Beijing Jinyu Ducks to seven victories so far, and plans to begin selling his low-cost Starbury shoes on TV. Like many expatriates in China, the experience has highlighted some cultural differences for Mr. Marbury between the U.S. where he started his career, and China, where he hopes to retire and to one day coach the national basketball team.

'The attitude toward how they do business is totally different,' but that doesn't translate to a whole lot of difference for business owners,' Mr. Marbury said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. 'Some people speak about it being a Communist country, and I'm like well, in America [there's] democracy, but there are just rules before they tell you you can't do something. Here in China they just tell you right away, 'No you can't do that.''

When returning home, the cultural differences are evident too, including in arguments with friends over the differences between Chinese food from China and the Chinese food available in the U.S., he says. 'You think that's Chinese from the corner store, but that's not Chinese food,' he said. 'I'm telling you because I live there.'

[color=red][b]As for Chinese basketball, Mr. Marbury is hoping he and other NBA players will help influence Chinese players and help China produce more stars like Yao Ming. 'There are some guys that have potential,' he said. Chinese players should learn 'the mentality of being like a dog on the court, just hard, aggressive

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:15 am
There is an accompanied video in the WSJ interview where Stephon Marbury takes some time out between folding laundry at his home in Beijing to talk about his experience in the country.

http://allthingsd.com/video/?video_id=5 ... 452D22B8F8

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:55 am

A video of Stephon Marbury spending alot of his time during team practice to teach offensive and defensive moves to young players such as Zhai Xiaochuan, Wang Xiaohui, Ji Zhe and Zhu Yanxi of his Beijing team.

http://v.ku6.com/show/spigKUfkUjdH0lb4.html

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 am
temuchin wrote:
you're not going to find many Starbury fans here, even on YMM.

the guy was an asshole.

He could be an @$$hole while he was in NBA.

But as I've said, he could be TOTALLY mis-represented by US media and he was wronged and misunderstood.

Personally found his desire to start over a new leaf, and his effort of gelling into the life of China to become a common Beijinger MOVING AND AMAZING.

Happy that he now found serenity and inner peace and a new found life in China.

Some photos of Stephon Marbury enjoying life in China.

Catching the most busiest MTR in Beijing for his team practice every morning

Going to watch his favorite Beijing GuoAn soccer team play with his beloved ones

Enjoy the tranquillity at his apartment with Chinese tea

Guest appearance in a Beijing Xiang Sheng aka Cross Talk show

Enjoy the passion of winning on the court

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:29 am
pryuen wrote:
But as I've said, he could be TOTALLY mis-represented by US media and he was wronged and misunderstood.

I'm not hating on the guy. But he was a schoolboy legend in New York and I've been hearing about this guy for about 15 years.

When things are fine he'll behave. Even this act in China seems like a big ****** you to the NBA and America.

If he starts to lose or has a fight with his shoe distributor or doesn't like something the Chinese write or say about him don't be surprised when he starts blaming everyone else, calls management racist, rages at the media and generally goes apeshit.

Right now he's feeding off the adulation of the Chinese, something he hasn't had for years in the US and something he can't have in the US any longer... since he supposedly can't even dunk. I hope he has great success in the CBA and even elevates the play of his teammates. I'm just dubious. I'm simply waiting for the other shoe to drop. At some point his naivety about China is going to dissipate and then he'll be raging. If you had problems with Tmac not playing hard or acting like a prima donna, Tmac is like Yao compared to Starbury.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:41 am

Stephon Marbury and his 2 favorite young players of Beijing Capital Steel Ducks: the 20-year-old Zhu Yanxi on the left, and the 18-year-old Zhai Xiaochuan on the right. Both Zhu and Zhai are rookies playing in their first CBA season.

Offline Profile