<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  2011 FIBA Asian Championship in Wuhan (Sept 15 ~ 25)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 58818Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Malorkayel wrote:
shokenchi wrote:
how come yi li plays like his eyes are closed? :lol:

lol, great shooters can hit without looking.

YEAH....that's EXACTLY WHAT Wang Shipeng said on CCTV5 last night during the live broadcast when he took over the commentary work from Yao Ming who had left Wuhan for Beijing and Shanghai for some of his commercial/charity activities in the past 2 days.

Wang Shipeng said when a shooter is into his rhythm and shooting touch and feel, he can shoot the ball into the basket without opening his eyes.
:P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 4425Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
pryuen wrote:
Malorkayel wrote:
shokenchi wrote:
how come yi li plays like his eyes are closed? :lol:

lol, great shooters can hit without looking.

YEAH....that's EXACTLY WHAT Wang Shipeng said on CCTV5 last night during the live broadcast when he took over the commentary work from Yao Ming who had left Wuhan for Beijing and Shanghai for some of his commercial/charity activities in the past 2 days.

Wang Shipeng said when a shooter is into his rhythm and shooting touch and feel, he can shoot the ball into the basket without opening his eyes.
:P

do you think Wang Shipeng will lose his spot on the cnt to Yi Li?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 58818Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
ko_xinga wrote:

do you think Wang Shipeng will lose his spot on the cnt to Yi Li?

NOP Wang Shipeng won't lose his spot to Yi Li.

They played DIFFERENT positions.
:roll:

Wang Shipeng is a shooting guard, while Yi Li can alternate/swing in position 3 and 4.

Last night, Yi Li played for long stretch to replace Sun Yue on the small forward position, shifting Sun Yue to play on position 2 (and sometimes switching roles with Liu Wei on ball handling/offense organization), concentrating to curb the very hot Takuya Kawamura (who once played for Phoenix Suns in the 2009 Summer League) who scored
19 points out of a total of 30 points that Japan scored in first half.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:37 pm
Posts: 8227Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
is yi li related to yi jianlian? :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:37 am
Posts: 907Location: australiaJoined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:12 pm
shokenchi wrote:
is yi li related to yi jianlian? :lol:
lol i seriously doubt that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:43 am
superjohn wrote:
pryuen wrote:

FINAL GROUP RANKING

GROUP E

1. Iran 5W0L 10 points
  2. South Korea 4W1L 9 points
  3. Chinese Taipei 3W2L 8 points
  4. Lebanon 2W3L 7 points
  5. Malaysia 1W 4L 6 points
  6. Uzbekistan 0W5L 5 points
GROUP F

1. China 5W0L 10 points
  2. Philippines 4W1L 9 points
  3. Japan 3W2L 8 points
  4. Jordan 2W3L 7 points
  5. Syria 1W 4L 6 points
  6. United Arab Emirates 0W5L 5 points
So the Top 4 teams of each group enter the elimination stage, while the bottom 2 teams of each group will play the Classification round to determine #9 ~ #12.

Since Taiwan provincial team does quite well, does that mean China can send about 30 competitive provincial teams? Just for some interesting discussion.

i have to say even though yr posts make not much sense most of the time, at least theyre funny.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 am
hezudao wrote:
superjohn wrote:

Since Taiwan provincial team does quite well, does that mean China can send about 30 competitive provincial teams? Just for some interesting discussion.

i have to say even though yr posts make not much sense most of the time, at least theyre funny.

It is all very logical. Most Chinese provinces are more populous than Taiwan province. If Taiwan can be competitive, these provinces can certainly produce the same players.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 am
User avatarPosts: 12135Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
bobliu wrote:
Dr. No wrote:
bobliu wrote:
If you ask me to choose from the two, I go all the way with Sun Yue.

i'll go with the better shooter and ball-handler.

Yeah, that too. But Sun Yue is better in both categories than Coby Karl.
based on what, other than the fact that Sun in Chinese ?

certainly not based on how they performed in practice or game situations.

bobliu wrote:
By the way, this is not a homer thing as you said. Coby Karl would be nothing if he were not George Karl's son. Well he is still nothing and out of basketball now ...
Coby Karl is nothing.

but he showed enough in practice and game situation to earn 72 minutes of play in one season; Sun Yue earned 28 minutes.

in his limited role, Coby role shot 35%, had more assits thant TOs; Sun yue shot 28% and had more TOs than assist.

if Colby Karl is nothing,
    what does that make Sun yue

Last edited by Dr. No on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:31 am
superjohn wrote:
hezudao wrote:
superjohn wrote:

It is all very logical. Most Chinese provinces are more populous than Taiwan province. If Taiwan can be competitive, these provinces can certainly produce the same players.

ummm except it doesnt depend on population only

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:48 am
In case you guys wonder HOW Yao Ming was doing in the past few games as CCTV5's live broadcast basketball commentator, here is a good recap from China Daily.

Quote:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/2011- ... 763629.htm

Still the star,
even in a booth

Yao Ming's TV broadcasting is turning out
to be nearly as big a draw as the games themselves

Updated: 2011-09-22
By Sun Xiaochen (China Daily)

WUHAN, Hubei province - Yao Ming doesn't have to play in a game to be one of its biggest attractions.

The retired Chinese basketball icon is back in the limelight at the FIBA Asia Championship, rounding out CCTV's broadcast team for eight of China's games as a color commentator.

Make that an overwhelmingly popular color commentator.

Qi Xin, chief of the CCTV crew that's broadcasting the event, credits Yao with a spike in the tournament's ratings.

"He's made a big difference," Qi told the Basketball Pioneer. "He's definitely attracted eyeballs. Audiences always want to hear him. No matter what he says, it will become a headline.

"So far, he's done a great job. I will give him 90 points."

Qi said the TV ratings for Yao's first game - China's group matchup against Bahrain - climbed to 1.3 percent on Sept 15, while the NBA Finals usually peak at 1.1 percent.

Yao doesn't just bring his knowledge of tactics and techniques to the broadcast table. He also uses his trademark sense of humor to keep the TV audience entertained.

After China veteran Wang Zhizhi dunked powerfully Monday night against Syria, Yao joked with Wang saying "The last time you dunked the ball, your 6-year-old son hadn't been born yet."

Making fun of opponents' attempts to guard Yi Jianlian, Yao suggested "they could try using pepper spray on their hands and wave them in front of Yi's face when he posts up."

After the games, Yao conducts interviews with his former teammates and offers advice for the squad's improvement.

His close ties with the team nets him better interviews - players tend to talk more freely than they would with regular reporters.

"Yao did a great job. He is very knowledgeable," TNT's leading commentator, Kenny Smith, said on his micro blog recently.

Inside the stadium, where spectators can't watch the TV broadcast, the "Yao factor" is also in full effect.

During game breaks, fans stare at Yao's commentating box at the top of the stands while shouting his name fiercely in a salute to their idol.

Some supporters gather around the box after the last game every day, hoping for a close glance of the giant.

Still, Yao isn't planning his future around a career in broadcasting, stressing "I've just come to cheer for the Chinese squad."

"I won't copy Kenny or (Charles Barkley's) way to shine on TV after retirement," he said. "I just want to share my experience with the audience. Let the fans know players' real feelings on the court and what really happened there.

"TV commentating is actually as tough as playing on the court for me.

"I've got a lot of homework to do before each game's broadcast, just like the daily training I had before."

Yao arrives at the venue hours before the tip-off and collects each team's scouting report. He even asked friends in the NCAA for some naturalized players' background information.

"He is so dedicated to do this job, even though it's just for this event temporarily. With this kind of work ethic, I believe he could do every thing well in the future," Qi said.

China Daily

Offline Profile