<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming: I'm Proud to Have Survived in NBA and Shaq !!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:20 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

On Thursday (July 21st), Yao Ming received another interview from Reuters in Shanghai explaining once more why he chose to retire.

He said he's proud to have survived in NBA and Shaq, and said it was not really that he had not tried, but he just wanted to be able to walk away from NBA on his own but not to end his career in a wheelchair.

Quote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/21/us-nba-yao-interview-idUSTRE76K17T20110721

Yao Ming proud to have
survived NBA and 'Shaq'

By Greg Stutchbury

Reuters | Jul 21, 2011

SHANGHAI: Standing seven-foot, six inches tall and weighing 140 kilograms it is hard to imagine Yao Ming being afraid of anything, but the Chinese basketball icon, who retired on Wednesday, said he was "scared" after being taken first in the 2002 NBA draft.

The former Houston Rockets centre, who opened up the world's most populous country to the NBA and became an Asian sporting icon, ended his professional basketball career at a packed media conference in his hometown of Shanghai.

The 30-year-old said in an interview on Thursday that the prospect of plunging into the most competitive basketball league in the world had shaken him.

"Sometimes you can use the word scared to represent my emotional state at the beginning," Yao said at the offices of the Shanghai Sharks -- the Chinese Basketball League team he now owns.

"The NBA is a place full of talent and before playing there you don't know how small you are, even though I am seven foot six," he added with a wide grin.

"The NBA is the highest level of basketball in the world. Everyone dreams to be part of it and to compete with the best players in the world and to show people what you can do.

"I was very fortunate to have that opportunity and have some success in there, and that's enough."

One of the tallest players to have played in the NBA, Yao was plagued by foot and ankle injuries towards the end of his eight seasons in the NBA.

He played just five games in the final two seasons but said he was happy to have walked away from the game while he still could.

"I survived it. That's what I'm proud of,"
he added when asked if he was frustrated that the injuries may have robbed him of a career that was entering its prime.

"When I (had) my surgery (in 2009) I had already been told there was no guarantee that I would be totally healthy to play basketball again. There was a case that I could re-injure it but I thought I wanted to give it a try.

"Not just me but also my trainer and my coach, and my team helped me and (we) worked very hard to get back to playing basketball.

"I did, and I played for five games and (got re-injured) and decided 'okay, that's it. I would like to walk off the court myself'. I think I just did not want to end my career in a wheelchair."

Yao, who finished his career as an eight-times All Star and averaged 19 points and 9.2 rebounds in 486 games, did have some regrets and felt there had been missed opportunities during his career with the Rockets, who did not advance past the first round of the playoffs in four of the seasons he was fit.

"If you are looking back detail by details, yes there are a lot of regrets, but if you look at the big picture a lot of people dream to have the same career that I had.

"Man, I just accept it, appreciate what I had and move on."
Yao said the toughest opponent he faced in the NBA was Shaquille O'Neal, the former LA Lakers center who was one of the most successful and recognisable players in the sport.

"He was not only big from outside, he's big from the inside. Mentally he just wants to try and eat you on court.

"That's another reason I'm proud I survived."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 4156Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 pm
Afterall, Yao didn't get through the big mountain in his way.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:10 pm
yeah he did

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
YaoMingLoyalist wrote:
Afterall, Yao didn't get through the big mountain in his way.

YUP THAT'S SO SAD !!!

During his interview with CCTV5, he said he suspected the root of the problem with his left foot had to be dated back to the 2 injuries he suffered back in 1997 and 1999; he broke his left foot twice then, and each time, no surgery was needed, and advice from the doctors with Shanghai Sharks was that all he needed was conservative treatment, and just let it naturally heal.

He said he learnt it from his tenure in NBA that the NBA teams are very concerned to and keep track of the health conditions of players; but when he was brought up as a young player in the state systems of China, coaches often told them minor injuries should not hinder them from playing, just grind their teeth, and continue to train and play hard. :twisted:

IMHO, those were not GOOD ADVICE AT ALL.

Playing and training with slgiht injuries could further aggravate the inury. And returning to play without proper recuperation and rehabilitation also will do harm to the player in the long term.

I tend to think as he grew up to become the star player for his Shanghai Sharks team, as the face of his franchise, and to attract audience for the games, alot of time he had to play with slight injuries on his foot; he also carried that bad habit into NBA, grind his teeth and continued to play with slight injuries without telling the team pbhyscians.

Coupled with the long and high-intensity 82-game season and non-stop basketball during summer for the national team
all these added together that eventaully transformed his left foot into the Achilles' Heel that cut short his career.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:54 pm
temuchin wrote:
yeah he did

I think the BIG MOUNTAIN YaoMingLoyalist referred to is Yao Ming's injury/left foot and NOT Shaquille O'Neal.

Anyway, Yao Ming openly admitted in his 1-on-1 interview with Yu Jia on CCTV5 that he is NOT on the SAME LEVEL with Shaquille O'Neal. He said he was lucky that he was pitched against Shaq when Shaq, 8 years his senior, was on his downslope slide that he could compete with Shaq. He could not imagine himself playing against a prime-time Shaq.

In his mind, he said
maybe only 2 centres could compete and be on par with a prime-time Shaquille O'Neal: his idol, a healthy prime-time Arvydas Sabonis and Wilt Chamberlain.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
i'm proud of yao too :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 am
pryuen wrote:
temuchin wrote:
yeah he did

I think the BIG MOUNTAIN YaoMingLoyalist referred to is Yao Ming's injury/left foot and NOT Shaquille O'Neal.

Anyway, Yao Ming openly admitted in his 1-on-1 interview with Yu Jia on CCTV5 that he is NOT on the SAME LEVEL with Shaquille O'Neal. He said he was lucky that he was pitched against Shaq when Shaq, 8 years his senior, was on his downslope slide that he could compete with Shaq. He could not imagine himself playing against a prime-time Shaq.

In his mind, he said
maybe only 2 centres could compete and be on par with a prime-time Shaquille O'Neal: his idol, a healthy prime-time Arvydas Sabonis and Wilt Chamberlain.

Has Yao Ming ever seen Chamberlain play on TV? Yao said he never watch CBA or NBA on TV eventhough he plays in the leagues.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:49 am
superjohn wrote:

Has Yao Ming ever seen Chamberlain play on TV? Yao said he never watch CBA or NBA on TV eventhough he plays in the leagues.

WHEN did he say that??? :roll:

During his injury rehab, if he can't go to Toyota Centre, he would watch the Houston Rockets game on TV from home.

And he woke up early in the morning to watch the Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks play in CBA from his computer or TV at home.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:39 am
User avatarPosts: 12415Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
pryuen wrote:
In his mind, he said [/color]maybe only 2 centres could compete and be on par with a prime-time Shaquille O'Neal: his idol, a healthy prime-time Arvydas Sabonis and Wilt Chamberlain. [/size]
maybe it is oversight on Yao's part, but he forgot former Rox Hakeem, who had schooled Shaq in the NBA Finals.

he also forgot to mention Bill Russell, and another former Rox, "Fo-Fo-Fo" Moses Malone. KA Jabbar's offensive skills would frustrate the hell outta Shaq

Sabonis and Shaq are pretty much the same type of player except Shaq is much stronger. Shaq would have Eaten Sabonis for lunch.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 am
Dr. No wrote:

Sabonis and Shaq are pretty much the same type of player except Shaq is much stronger. Shaq would have Eaten Sabonis for lunch.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING !!!

Do you know WHO is Sabonis??? :roll: SAME TYPE of player as Shaq???
:shock:

The Sabonis you saw in NBA was ALREADY an over-the-prime Sabonis at the age of 31 years old, compared to a 23-year-old Shaquille O'Neal.

ANYONE who knows basketball knew that Arvydas Sabonis is a FINESSE type of player, RATHER THAN like Shaquille O'Neal a PHYSICAL player. :roll:

Sabonis is considered one of the best big man passers as well as one of the best overall centers in the history of the game. Even as a player over his prime when he joined NBA in 1995 as a 31-year-old, he still showed flashes of his brillance/greatness, and Bill Walton once called Sabonis a 7' 3" Larry Bird due to his unique court vision, shooting range, rugged in-game mentality, and versatility.

Quote of the Day July 25 by Dr. No. wrote:

Sabonis and Shaq are pretty much the same type of player.

Offline Profile