<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming's Retirement Press Conference (July 20th 2011)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
superjohn wrote:

He was sneaky and just said he is retiring from professional basketball, but didn't say whether he will play at the 2012 Olympics for the national team.

Well, I don't think he was being sneaky. He's JUST BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT, as I think he still needs the approval from CBA and State General Administration of Sports for retiring from the national team.

I guess it will be CLEARER in another 5 days time, as CBA had announced they will hold a press conference on July 25 (Monday) in Beijing to recognize Yao Ming's contribution to Chinese basketball.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 am
pryuen

kindly post in youtube the cctv 5 interview of Yao by his good friend and provide the link here . If not youtube then at least a site that has fast loading time. Tudou is great but damm all the known china site like sohu, sina... has these damm restriction nowadays of showing content to internet users outside china. I used to watch tvb tv series and taiwan variety shows from these sites and now I cant watch them online.

Hmm well IF continues rehabililitating the knee there might be a chance he play play with it after 1 year and make a comeback to the NBA but I would hope he goes to a title contender where he wont be needed to play starting role. Maybe 20+ min per game for the bulls or lakers.

he was not asked nor did he say that this is the end 100% no chance for comeback right ? MJ was 99.999 % sure and said so he did not say 100 % sure no combeback coz in his heart he knew there was a chance which he did.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:47 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yao Ming's farewell speech during the press conference, in both Chinese and English.

[quote]

[size=109]CHINESE

各位领导,各位来宾,新闻界的朋友们:

大家好,感谢大家的光临。

今天对我来说是一个重要的日子,无论是对我以往的篮球职业生涯,还是未来的个人发展,都具有特殊的意义。

去年年底,我的左脚第三次应力性骨折,我不得不离开赛场。半年多以来,和许多关心我的朋友一样,我也是在漫长的期待当中度过的。这段时间里,内心十分纠结,反复思考。为此,今天我要宣布一个个人决定:作为篮球运动员,我将结束自己的运动生涯,正式退役。

此时此刻,回顾过去,展望未来,我的内心充满感激。

我首先要感谢篮球。这项伟大的运动为无数人带来了快乐,当然也包括我自己。四岁我有了第一个篮球,九岁进入徐汇区少体校,十四岁进入上海青年队,十六岁背上父亲当年的号码,代表上海队比赛。篮球使我延续了家庭的传承,每每看到父母欣慰的眼神,我都无比自豪;也非常幸运能和上海大鲨鱼队的队友们一起为上海赢得了一次CBA总冠军。从那时起,篮球把我和身后这座城市联系在了一起;同样在CBA夺冠的2002年,我进入NBA,篮球引领我步入了一个更宽广的舞台,使我可以尽情地展现自己;更要感谢能有机会为中国国家队战十年,那是无数青年人的梦想;同时因为篮球,与心爱的人结缘,建立了美满的家庭,获得了一生的幸福。所有这些,都是我无比热爱的篮球运动带给我的,我要感谢篮球。

我还要感谢生活。无论我所热爱的篮球,还是别的什么东西,都是生活的一部分。我觉得生活就像一个向导,你虔诚地追随他,他就会为你打开一扇又一扇的门,而门外的世界各不相同,无比精彩。今天我退役了,一扇门已经关上,而另一扇门却正在徐徐开启,而门外有崭新的生活正在等着我去认真品读。

我虽然离开了赛场,但我不会离开篮球。上海东方大鲨鱼篮球队,将就是我篮球生涯的延续,我正在学习用我的方式管理俱乐部,以这种方式继续为家乡带来荣誉,为球迷带来快乐,为中国篮球继续做贡献。

我将继续投身社会公益事业,

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:49 am
albert57d wrote:
pryuen

kindly post in youtube the cctv 5 interview of Yao by his good friend and provide the link here .

YOUTUBE is banned in China. I don't think I can upload any video up there.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 am
pryuen wrote:
albert57d wrote:
pryuen

kindly post in youtube the cctv 5 interview of Yao by his good friend and provide the link here .

YOUTUBE is banned in China. I don't think I can upload any video up there.

Most smart people in China know how to jump over the firewall easily.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 am
albert57d wrote:

he was not asked nor did he say that this is the end 100% no chance for comeback right ? MJ was 99.999 % sure and said so he did not say 100 % sure no combeback coz in his heart he knew there was a chance which he did.

From the tone of his farewell speech, his Q&A sessions, his interview with Yu Jia, I believe it's 100% DEFINITE that he will not make a comeback anymore.

He said when he was injured back in 2009, in the 2nd Round of the playoff with LA Lakers, when he had to realign/restructure his left foot, he had been phychologically prepared for this day.

Originally his parents and wife wanted him to retire by then, and not to go through the bone realignment/restructuring surgery.

But the doctors told him if he did not do the surgery, he might become a cripple and can't walk by the time he becomes 40 to 50 years old.

He then decided to go for the surgery, and strived to give it another try for a comeback.

He said if lucky, he can play again; if not, he will not be a cripple 10 to 20 years later.

But he said right after hard work for a year, he broke down again only after 5 games this season, then
he realized maybe it's REALLY time to call it a day.

So for the past 7 months, and actually the year before that, he had been making his transition from a professional basketball player to other areas: take over the ownership of the Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks as a continuation of his basketball career, spend more time in his philanthropic work, and self study on all kinds of management, financial, accounting books to equip and prepare himself.

He also told Yu Jia he had already enrolled for classes at a university. YEAH.....he's returning to school !!!

So I don't think he will make a comeback like MJ.

IT'S OVER !!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 am
albert57d wrote:
pryuen

kindly post in youtube the cctv 5 interview of Yao by his good friend and provide the link here . If not youtube then at least a site that has fast loading time. Tudou is great but damm all the known china site like sohu, sina... has these damm restriction nowadays of showing content to internet users outside china. I used to watch tvb tv series and taiwan variety shows from these sites and now I cant watch them online.

Hmm well IF continues rehabililitating the knee there might be a chance he play play with it after 1 year and make a comeback to the NBA but I would hope he goes to a title contender where he wont be needed to play starting role. Maybe 20+ min per game for the bulls or lakers.

youTube videos on Yao Ming's announcement.

Yao Ming announces retirement in China; Houston Rockets center calls it quits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE0qG26HOUE

Yao Ming retires in China, thanks Houston Rockets fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K3QBtVVyP8

Last edited by superjohn on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:27 am

Photos of Yao Ming giving his farewell speech at the press conference.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:53 am

Yao Ming's parents, his wife Ye Li and little daughter Amy Yao Qinlei were also there at the press conference witnessing Big Yao's retirement.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:21 am
Photos of Big Yao taking group photos with officials and friends, and the Q&A session with media/press with Colin Pine acting as his interpreter one more time.

A 73 year old reporter/photograper Hong Nanli who had following Shanghainese sports and basketball for over 30 some years gifted Yao Ming a large poster with a photo she took about 12 years back when Yao Ming was still contesting Wang Zhizhi back in the CBA.

Drayl Morey was given a chance to ask a question during the Q&A.

He first praised Yao Ming for a great player contributing much to Houston Rockets; and then he asked if Yao Ming has any good Chinese players to recommend now that he decided to retire.

Yao Ming quipped: Well we can discuss about it after the NBA lockout gets satisfactorily solved out. :P :lol: :D

Offline Profile