Author Message

<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2009

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am


Now fans in China are urging the government and the Chinese Football Association to consider bidding for 2026 World Cup.

Personally think, that will be OUT OF QUESTION with very little likelihood China will be successful in the bid.

My reasoning was SIMPLE.


Currently, there are seven individual nations which have registered their intention with FIFA to bid for the right to host one of the two tournaments in 2018 or 2022; Australia, England, Japan, Qatar, Russia, South Korea, and the United States. Additionally, Belgium and the Netherlands registered to bid together, as did Portugal and Spain.

The twenty-four member FIFA Executive Committee will vote to select the two hosts on 2 December 2010. Candidates have applied for either or both of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, but the 2022 hosts will not be chosen from the same continent as the 2018 hosts.

While most nations bid for either tournament, Qatar and South Korea submitted bids for 2022 only, and both Japan and Australia, who originally bid for either tournament, withdrew their 2018 bids in favour of concentrating on 2022.

In October 2007, FIFA ended its continental rotation policy. Instead countries that are members of the same confederation as either of the last two tournament hosts are ineligible, leaving Africa ineligible for 2018 and South America ineligible for both 2018 and 2022.

As the current trend goes, the 2018 bid most probably will go to an European country (or countries, i.e. a joint bid).

And that is
WHY the Asian countries (South Korea, Japan, Qatar, Australia) all changed their mind and focus on 2022.

If the host country of the 2022 World Cup turns out to be an Asian country, THAT MEANS China will not be able to host World Cup in 2026 and 2030.

BASICALLY you will not be able to see World Cup in China IN AT LEAST ANOTHER 20 YEARS !!!!


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:29 pm
Posts: 17888Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:31 pm
China should bid for 2022 instead. South Korea and Japan have hosted before, and should not host again before China hosts.
China has the organizational skills, the capital and all the big soccer stadiums already, like Beijing Bird's Nest, Shanghai stadium, Guangzhou Asian games, Shenzhen University games and Hong Kong's upcoming big stadium at the Kai Tak site.

It is absurd that China cannot host in 2026 and 2030. They need to change the rules since China's total GDP will exceed the US by 2020 and China is getting stronger every day.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
superjohn wrote:
China should bid for 2022 instead. South Korea and Japan have hosted before, and should not host again before China hosts.

China has the organizational skills, the capital and all the big soccer stadiums already, like Beijing Bird's Nest, Shanghai stadium, Guangzhou Asian games, Shenzhen University games and Hong Kong's upcoming big stadium at the Kai Tak site.

It is absurd that China cannot host in 2026 and 2030. They need to change the rules since China's total GDP will exceed the US by 2020 and China is getting stronger every day.


WHO ASKED China did not bid for 2018 and 2022??? :roll:

And the FIFA rule was just established 2007. And they won't change it JUST FOR CHINA. :roll:

You can ONLY pray that NONE
of the Asian countries succeed in bidding 2018 or 2022 World Cup (say 2018 World Cup for Europe and then 2022 World Cup for USA), then there maybe a chance that China can host the World Cup BEFORE 2030 PROVIDED THEY BID FOR IT.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:19 pm
Posts: 17888Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:31 pm
pryuen wrote:
superjohn wrote:
China should bid for 2022 instead. South Korea and Japan have hosted before, and should not host again before China hosts.

China has the organizational skills, the capital and all the big soccer stadiums already, like Beijing Bird's Nest, Shanghai stadium, Guangzhou Asian games, Shenzhen University games and Hong Kong's upcoming big stadium at the Kai Tak site.

It is absurd that China cannot host in 2026 and 2030. They need to change the rules since China's total GDP will exceed the US by 2020 and China is getting stronger every day.


WHO ASKED China did not bid for 2018 and 2022??? :roll:

And the FIFA rule was just established 2007. And they won't change it JUST FOR CHINA. :roll:

You can ONLY pray that NONE
of the Asian countries succeed in bidding 2018 or 2022 World Cup (say 2018 World Cup for Europe and then 2022 World Cup for USA), then there maybe a chance that China can host the World Cup BEFORE 2030 PROVIDED THEY BID FOR IT.


China will bid for it, as they have the capital and the stadiums. What are they waiting for? For a better national team?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
HEAD UP ALERT !!! :shock:

Yao Ming will be on CNN Talk Asia tomorrow (Wednesday September 15). (Not sure whether you guys can watch this back in USA).

Photos of him on the half-hour chat program with Anjali Rao.


Image

Image

[quote]

http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -asia.html

Saturday, September 11, 2010


Yao Ming on CNN's Talk Asia

[size=109]Yao Ming will be talking about a lot of things in a special edition of CNN's Talk Asia.

Thanks to CNN for this!

[b]The airtime in Manila, Hong Kong, and Singapore is this coming Wednesday September 15 at 730pm. Replays of the interview will be on the following day, September 16 at 1130am and Saturday September 18 at 7pm.

[color=red]The Chinese basketball star will talk about his injury, the Houston Rockets, LeBron James, fatherhood, and the controversy surrounding his daughter who was born a US citizen.

The NBA


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yao Ming's latest entry/update on his Facebook.

Image


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:04 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Haven't seen the half-hour interview yet.

But I guess the CNN Asia Pacific's press release covered most of the contents of the interview with direct quotes from Big Yao.

Not sure if the press release was correct that the interview was done in Beijing and not in Houston. :shock:

Anyway, for those interested, after tonight's premiere, the interview should be accessible from www.cnn.com/talkasia as revealed in below press release.


[quote]

http://www.cnnasiapacific.com/press/en/content/594/

[size=150][color=red][b]CHINA


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:01 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

The interview.

http://you.video.sina.com.cn/api/sinawe ... 44_6/s.swf


Interesting part towards the end when he critcized the Chinese basketball systems (in fact about the whole Chinese sports systems) that players/atheletes are molded and not following their hearts.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:37 am
User avatarPosts: 351Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:29 pm
pryuen wrote:

The interview.

http://you.video.sina.com.cn/api/sinawe ... 44_6/s.swf


Interesting part towards the end when he critcized the Chinese basketball systems (in fact about the whole Chinese sports systems) that players/atheletes are molded and not following their hearts.


Thanks for the clip, pry.:)

Nice interview. While occasionally, I still don't think Yao truly understands, everything the interviewer is asking him, he is progressively getting better and becoming more and more comfortable, and able to articulate more of his thoughts now.

I also like how he says, he will leave the choice of a career to his daughter's heart. Not everyone can honestly say that, so kudos to Yao.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:30 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Big Yao is such a man of BIG HEART !!!

Even though it was busy as hell for him on the Media Day for Houston Rockets yesterday, he still squeezed in time to answer the dream of a 11-year-old kid, and visited the kid in the hospital as the boy recovered after undergoing an open heart surgery recently.


Image

[quote]

http://www.khou.com/home/Yao-Ming-visit ... 49489.html

Yao Ming visits 11-year-old
Chinese boy in Houston hospital


[size=109]by khou.com staff

Posted on September 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM


[b]HOUSTON


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 65 of 65
650 posts
Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum