<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming Will Fully Own Shanghai Sharks !!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:23 pm
Tang Man wrote:
pryuen wrote:

Sun Haiping wnt to Liu Xiang's home, talked and convinced Liu Xiang and his parents, and had Liu Xiang return to the sports academy, and swtiched him to be under his mentorship.[/color]

Liu Xiang never touched 110 meter hurdle before that. :roll: [/size]

Well I can only go by what I read in the western media. It said Chinese sports officials told him to forget it because there's no way he would be able to compete with the ethnic African athletes who basically dominated the sports before him.

Anyway link to back up what you've said?

I've definitely read in the Western media that Liu Xiang was originally a high jumper and almost quit before a coach switched him to hurdles

If I can find the source I'll link it, it might have been a TV profile on NBC Universal or maybe BBC. this was 6 years ago

But that story was definitely out there after Athens

As for not being able to compete with blacks... you might have well read that as opposed to making it up like you do everything else but it seems odd...

after all look at Liu Xiang's competitors at the Olympics in 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_ ... re_hurdles

there are innumerable non-black athletes from dozens of european, asian and south american countries. including competitors from japan and korea. your quote makes it seem like Liu's coaches told him not to bother to compete against blacks... odd advice considering that any coach in China's entire livelihood depends on the success of that particular sport in China.

each nation participates in these sports looking for an outlier like Xiu or Richmond Flowers who are actually faster than blacks. because blacks are better suited to track and field doesn't mean that an extraordinary white or asian individual cannot win.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:37 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

While, as expected, the other Top 3 teams Guangdong Hongyuan Dongguan Bank, Xinjiang Guanghui and Zhejiang Guangsha all had clean sweep against their respective opponents (Bayi Fubang Rockets, Fujian SBS, and Jiangsu Nangang Dragons) to move into the semi final, Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks also clinched a critical win tonight beating Liaoning Panpan Hunters 89 ~ 73 in Game 3 in Shenyang.

Shanghai played superb defense in 1Q and 2Q, limiting Liaoning Panpan Hunters to score only 10 points in 1Q and 13 points in 2Q, leading 16 points (26 ~ 10) by end of 1Q, and 18 points (41 ~ 23) by half time.

They never looked back after that, basically put the game beyond Liaoning Panpan Hunters' reach, finishing 3Q leading by 24 points (71 ~ 47) when Liaoning Panpan Hunters were playing with 2 expat players and Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks could only play with 1 expat.

The 24 points lead proved to be too much for Liaoning Panpan Hunters in the 4Q, even though they did win the 4Q.

John Lucas III scored 30 points (13/24 FG%, 4/9 3-pointer%)/7 rebounds/4 assists; Liu Wei: 13 points (3/18 FG% 0/5 3-pointer% 7/9 FT%)/5 rebounds/6 assists; Garret Siler: 13 points (6/7 FG% 1/3 FT%)/15 rebounds/1 block shot; Zaid Abbas: 18 points(8/10 FG% 2/3 FT%)/8 rebounds/1 assist;

On Liaoning side, they played badly in 1Q, with Shanghai playing tough defense, double-teaming on their danger man, Zhang Qingpeng. Zhang Qingpeng missed all of his 8 3-pointer attempts, and only scored 10 points (2/13 FG% 0/8 3-pointer% 6/7 FT%)/5 rebounds/2 assists; Carlos Powell: 19 points (6/16 FG% 0/3 3-pointer% 7/7 FT%)/4 rebounds/3 assists/1 block shot; Olumide Oyedeji: 17 points (3/8 FG% 11/12 FT%)/7 rebounds/2 assists/1 block shot; Yang Ming: 14 points (5/9 FG% 3/4 3-pointer% 1/1 FT%)/3 assists; Li Xiaoxu: 5 points (2/10 FG% 1/2 FT%)/12 rebounds;

So Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks took a 2 ~ 1 lead, and the series move back to Shanghai. Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks will have 2 chances to eliminate Liaoning Panpan Hunters either next Wednesday or Friday to move into the semi final.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 pm
Posts: 890Location: Pasadena, USAJoined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:54 pm
Good to hear that Shanghai is playing defense, it will be interesting to see how they match up against Guangdong, given that the Tigers have 2 ex-NBA stars in Smush Parker and David Harrison. Is there such a thing as salary cap in China?

btw: anyone have links to these games?

The way the Guangdong team is made up, its probably better than Team China even with the addition of Yao and Yi.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
karamazov wrote:
Good to hear that Shanghai is playing defense, it will be interesting to see how they match up against Guangdong, given that the Tigers have 2 ex-NBA stars in Smush Parker and David Harrison. Is there such a thing as salary cap in China?

btw: anyone have links to these games?

The way the Guangdong team is made up, its probably better than Team China even with the addition of Yao and Yi.

Personally I don't like the way Guangdong Hongyuan Dongguan Bank dominates CBA. It is not healthy for the growth and development of CBA.

I also don't like their head coach Li Chunjiang.
During the regular season and the playoffs, whenever there were adverse situations on court or unfavorable calls against the Guangdong players, the guy would run up to the referees to shout and argue heatedly like a mad man.

And some of the Guangdong players, in particular Smush Parker, are playing very dirty, sometimes to the extent of purposefully trying to injure the opponent players.

I surely hope Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks will put up a good fight in the semi final against them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 am
With the coach shouting and arguing with the referees, I imagine that happens all the time in other leagues. I wouldn't mistake it as passion, but it beats him just letting the bad calls go. Coaches in the CBA can be assessed technicals of some sort I assume if they go overboard?

And the domination with Guangdong....it'd be nice to see other teams do well, but these other teams need to learn to keep up as well. Arent' most players generally scouted and trained at an early age? I guess it'd be nice to see movement of players in this league who arent ex-pats. I heard that player transfers dont happen as often? and especially not in the middle of the season?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 am
Momak wrote:
With the coach shouting and arguing with the referees, I imagine that happens all the time in other leagues. I wouldn't mistake it as passion, but it beats him just letting the bad calls go. Coaches in the CBA can be assessed technicals of some sort I assume if they go overboard?

Yeah they do. The fiery Bob Donewald Jr. of Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks received numerous technicals and was even banned 2 games for openly ridiculing referees for bad officiating in the post game press conference.

But Li Chunjiang was seldom penalised for doing so. He seemed he never learnt for his screw-up at the FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Men in Tehran 2 years ago, that deprived all those young Chinese players a chance for showcasing their skills and potentials in front of international/NBA scouts at the 2009 U19 World Championship.

Momak wrote:
And the domination with Guangdong....it'd be nice to see other teams do well, but these other teams need to learn to keep up as well. Arent' most players generally scouted and trained at an early age? I guess it'd be nice to see movement of players in this league who arent ex-pats. I heard that player transfers dont happen as often? and especially not in the middle of the season?

Well most CBA teams do scout talents and signed them to their junior team.

In this aspect, Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers and Dongguan New Century Leopards excelled than the rest. They scouted and recruited on a national-wide basis. For example, all major players of Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers were not originated from Guangdong; Liu Xiaoyu, Zhou Peng and Wang Shipeng are from Liaoning; Du Feng is from Xinjiang; Zhu Fangyu is from Guangxi; Su Wei is from Shandong; Dong Hanlin is from Inner Mongolia. They were signed from their originating cities/provinces, moved to Dongguan, Guangdong, lived, trained and played for Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers junior team. If they are good, then they move up to the senior team when they reach 18 (I think).

Yeah transfers/trades of local players from team to team are very rare.

Very often, players sign pretty long contracts with the club when they enter the club as a junior player. If they want to be playing for another team, very often, they risk having to sit out non-playing for at least 1 year before they can join another team.

And sometimes for very strong teams like Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers, it took years for the junior players to be promoted to the senior team. And very often, when they reach 18, either they continue to wait and rot on the bench, or be on loan to some other teams.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 890Location: Pasadena, USAJoined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:54 pm
Let's hope for an upset of Shanghai over Guangdong, although not likely given the superior imports Guangdong has.

I watched Wang Yong play before, and he's not a bad player, very smart player, not very big, needs bulk. Wonder why he never got a call to the national team.

It's also disturbing that Beijing Olympians are not in the CBA, I think they could give Guangdong a run for their money.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 pm

Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks finished off Liaoning Panpan Hunters in Game 4, 123 ~ 117 in overtime, in Pudong Yuanshen Stadium tonight, to get into the semi final. It was their first semi-final in 8 years, since Yao Ming left for NBA.

It was a fiercely and closely contest game. Faced with elimination, Liaoning Panpan Hunters played extremely well, leading 1Q (28 ~ 20), 2Q (53 ~ 52) and 3Q (80 ~ 76).

Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks
tied the game with 40 some seconds left, and they had a defensive stop to earn their 12 seconds offensive chance. But instead of fully utilizing Garet Siler at the low post for 2 points or free fouls, John Lucas III missed his 3-pointer, and the game went into over time.

Liaoning Panpan Hunters were leading for most of the over time, but could not finish off the Shanghai Sharks. And with 1 minute 30 seconds left, John Lucas III scored a long range 3-pointer to take over the lead by 2 points. Then Garet Siler played great defense by blocking out a shot by Olumide Oyedeji, and Cai Liang drew an offense charge against Carlos Powell , and then earned a trip to the charity stripe where he scored his 2 free throws. Then Garet Siler finished off a fast break with a dunk to end the game 123 ~ 117.

3 players of Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks were in double-digit scoring; John Lucas III and Liu Wei combined for 77 points; John Lucas III: 41 points (12/25 FG% 6/10 3-pointer% 11/12 FT%)/8 rebounds/6 assists; Liu Wei: 36 points (15/24 FG% 5/8 3-pointer% 1/1 FT%)/4 rebounds/2 assists; Garet Siler: 22 points (9/11 FG% 4/5 FT%)/12 rebounds/2 assists/3 block shots.

5 Liaoning Panpan Hunters players were in double digit scoring; Carlos Powell: 26 points 8/21 FG% 1/6 3-pointer% 9/13 FT%)/3 rebounds/4 assists; Olumide Oyedeji: 24 points (8/9 FG% 8/12 FT%)/12 rebounds; Zhang Qingpeng: 19 points (6/14 FG% 1/7 3-pointer% 6/7 FT%)/8 rebounds/6 assists; Li Xiaoxu: 22 points (8/16 FG% 0/1 3-pointer% 6/8 FG%)/16 rebounds; Bian Qiong: 11 points (4/12 FG% 3/8 3-pointer%).

Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks will meet the defending champion, Guangdong Hongyuan Dongguan Bank Tigers in the semi final.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am

Liu Wei, Yao Ming's best buddy, captain of the Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks, was so agitated at the final whistle, that he consoled his national team mate, Zhang Qingpeng, captain of Liaoning Panpan Hunters, clenched his fist, howled in front of the TV cameras, went over to the court side, embraced his wife with both eyes red from his crying.

He cried for finally managing to lead his team to beyond Round 2 of the playoff for the past 8 years, ever since the days when Yao Ming was still a Shanghai Sharks.

He said afterwards in the post game press conference : "Words could not express my true feelings now. You have to know that this is the first time in 8 years for us to sneak into the second round. It was not easy. I would like to thank the fans, and thank all those who supported us. You are our strongest backing and you gave us courage. Now, I have these mixed emotions. Every time I look at my coach (i.e. Bob Donewald Jr.), he would give me a firm smile. I really want to thank him. He had led us from being the rock bottom team in the league from last season to where we are currently. But I have to reiterate that we are still a very hungry team, and we don't want to stop."

And the head coach Bob Donewald Jr. heaped praises on Liu Wei during the press conference. He said: "This guy had been waiting for this moment for so long. He put his body and soul onto this team; he gave every ounce of his energy fighting for his team and city; he was always under-rated and unnoticed cos this team had been struggling for all these years. But tonight, I am extremely proud of him."

And on the other side of the globe, Yao Ming woke up early, and watched the game together with his wife, parent and friends through his computer.

He dialed in to Erik Zhang Mingji immediately at the edn of the game; He said: "Please convey for me my thanks to all our players and the coach for all their hard work; I want to congratulate everyone of them for achieving such good results. We have already created a miracle, and I hope we can go further."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:44 pm
Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks lost 106 ~ 110 to Guangdong Hongyuan Dongguan Bank Tigers in Game 1 of the semi final in Dongguan tonight.

The scoreline was a little flattering as Guangdong Hongyuan Dongguan Bank Tigers were just too strong and too deep in the bench for the Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks.

The game was closely contested in 1Q (30 ~ 28 ) when both team played with only 1 expat player. But Guangdong playing with 2 expat in 2Q against 1 expat of Shanghai extended the lead to 12 points (61 ~ 49) by half time.

Shanghai Sharks playing 2 expat against 1 expat from Guangdong did not manage to get back into the game, and dug out a 16-point hole for themselves at end of 3Q (72 ~ 88 ).

Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers
had the lead extended to 22 by 4Q by the 9 minute mark, and rested Wang Shipeng and Zhu Fangyu. Shanghai Sharks did not give up, and managed to reduce the deficit points by points. With 3 minutes left, they were just 8 points behind 92 ~ 100.

But Guangdong Hongyuan Tigers sent back Wang Shipeng and Zhu Fangyu, and for Shanghai, Garret Siler got his 6th foul and sort of lost control in the interior. With 1: 30 minutes left, Wang Yong scored a 3-pointer to reduce the deficit to only 3 (103 ~ 98 ). And after a basket from Du Feng, John Lucas III had another 3-pointer to be just 4 points behind (105 ~ 101).

Shanghai Sharks then fouled Smush Parker who scored 1 of 2, to let Peng Fei to score another 3-pointer to be just 2 points behind (106 ~ 104).

Smush Parker was fouled again to score 2 out of 2 to lead 108 ~ 104. And when Wang Yong missed his 3-pointer with 10 seconds left, they had to foul again. Even though John Lucas III scored a basket at the waning seconds, the Shanghai team still had to go down gallantly 110 ~ 106.

Offline Profile