<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Breaking News !!! Ye Li Is Pregnant !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:42 am
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
supraman wrote:
Hi Pryuen i just wanna ask you a question, although it is quite a specific question, do you know whether Yao and his wife wish his son/daughter to be born in the USA or China? And if born in China, will Yao also be subject to the one child policy law? thx

Well, according to what Zhang Chi, Team Yao's PR/Spokesperson told the media it is not decided yet where the child will be born.

And for them, the one child policy did not apply. Both Yao and Ye are the lone child of their family. They are entitled to at least another one by Chinese law.

Of course, they can have more if their children will be born in USA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 am
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Supraman

The news from NBA.com basically provides answers to your 2 specific questions. 8)

Quote:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/04/yao.father.ap/

Yao set to become
a father for the first time

Posted Jan 5 2010 12:00AM

BEIJING (AFP) -- The wife of NBA center Yao Ming is expecting their first child, sending netizens into a frenzy of hope for a new generation to lead China's basketball team in the future.

"The news that Ye Li is pregnant is true. Yao Ming and his wife would like to thank all those who are showing concern," Yao's China-based spokesman Zhang Chi said in a statement to leading portal Sina.com on Tuesday.

"Out of concern for Ye Li's state of mind and the need for a relaxed environment, it is not convenient to offer any further information concerning the baby," the spokesman said.

According to the Beijing News, the 29-year-old Houston Rocket -- out for the season as he recovers from a foot injury -- is expected to become a father in July. No decision has been made on where the baby will be born.

Both Yao and his wife -- once a centre on China's women's national basketball team -- are the offspring of professional athletes. They reportedly married at the request of sports officials in their hometown of Shanghai.

Ever since the 2.29-metre (seven-foot-six-inch) Yao married his 1.90-metre wife in 2007, speculation has run rampant as to when their first baby would be born, Sina.com noted.

As both Yao and his wife were born in the 1980s and are only children, the couple will be allowed to give birth to two children under China's recently relaxed "one-child" family planning policy, the report said.

"We hope that Yao Ming and Ye Li will go further and raise more pillars of the next generation of Chinese basketball," it said.

In a Sina.com online poll, 76 percent of more than 29,000 people voting said that Yao's child was likely to grow taller than 2.05 metres, while 33 percent said the baby would grow taller than 2.20 metres.

Yao and his wife returned to China late last year to do promotional work for the 2010 Shanghai World Expo and to launch the season of the Shanghai Sharks, a professional Chinese basketball club that Yao recently purchased.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:18 am
even if they werent both only childs, couldnt thedy just pay a fine or something for extra kids, like manny pacquiao, he can probably do anything he wants

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:01 am
robWu wrote:
even if they werent both only childs, couldnt thedy just pay a fine or something for extra kids, like manny pacquiao, he can probably do anything he wants

Sure they can. In fact alot of Chinese couples are doing that to have 2 or 3 extra kids.

But the problem is that in alot of cases, there is NO DEFINITE guidelines for the fine, which is called social child support payment 社会抚养费. I've learnt that some of friends in Shanghai had to pay 50K, while another friend of mine had to pay 300K in Shenzhen for 1 additional child.

I suspect there is a difference in the amount of money you paid per your income bracket, or they are subject to discretion (i.e. loopholes for corruption) of those officials at the Birth Control Bureaus .

Of course, as I've said before, they should have no limitations on number of kids they want to have, as long as these kids are born in USA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:00 pm
people who speculate/ask where Yao's first child to be born has totally no clue or has been blindly followed Yao for all these years.

Knowing Yao for these many years this answer should be very very very simple.

Yao is going to have his child born in China.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 pm
battousai wrote:
people who speculate/ask where Yao's first child to be born has totally no clue or has been blindly followed Yao for all these years.

Knowing Yao for these many years this answer should be very very very simple.

Yao is going to have his child born in China.

Well, we shall know soon, even though I agree with you that their child will be born in China.

Both Yao Ming and Ye Li (as well as Yao's parents ) are in Shanghai now.

Yao Ming will stay until the end of this month before flying back to Houston, cos there will be the joint charity gala by Yao Ming Foundation and the Museum of Fine Arts of Houston on January 30.

As his personal trainer Anthony Falsone had indicated earlier, by February, he should be able to rid of his crutches and step up with his rehabilitation. And then it will be Chinese New Year by mid February.

So as it currently stands, Ye Li will probably fly back to USA together with Yao Ming cos she probably needs to accompany Big Yao for the MFAH charity gala as the host, and then stay for the Chinese New Year in Houston.

If she does not come back to China by end February or March, and latest April, then probably their child will be born in USA.....cos most international airlines forbid pregnant women of over 34 weeks of travelling.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 4486Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
robWu wrote:

Yao Ming should have as many children as he possibly can with as many women as possible. The more children Yao has means the more centers he will produce for the chinese national team. And more Chinese centers playing in the nba. Yao got to hang out with Tiger woods more.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 4486Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
pryuen wrote:
robWu wrote:

Sure they can. In fact alot of Chinese couples are doing that to have 2 or 3 extra kids.

But the problem is that in alot of cases, there is NO DEFINITE guidelines for the fine, which is called social child support payment 社会抚养费. I've learnt that some of friends in Shanghai had to pay 50K, while another friend of mine had to pay 300K in Shenzhen for 1 additional child.

I suspect there is a difference in the amount of money you paid per your income bracket, or they are subject to discretion (i.e. loopholes for corruption) of those officials at the Birth Control Bureaus .

Of course, as I've said before, they should have no limitations on number of kids they want to have, as long as these kids are born in USA.

Yao should be having children born in china, hong kong, usa, canada, australia, singapore, macau, taiwan, south korea, and other countries. Yao should be getting women pregnant everywhere he goes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 10633Location: PhillyJoined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:03 am
lol I love how everyone is assuming the baby is a male. Wait til the shocker when the baby is a girl.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55 pm
Quote:

I dont know what the longterm plan is for managing population growth in China but considering that China is now run by technocrats the one 1 child policy is likely going to be phased out entirely within this generation.

Why? Because technocrats of all politics lean socially liberal, and the liberal view on zero sum gain in population is that as societies educate their women, give them more economic opportunities and birth control, population growth will naturally and inevitably slow. The idea being that, in poor countries with high mortality rural population NEED to have a lot of kids to make sure 1 survives to provide for them and that in those societies women do not have control of their own reproductive rights. Backwards countries like India and China need those controls, but developed nations like Japan and Korea for example have the opposite problems of aging populations and declining birthrates/populations. China still has a massive rural population and uneducated urban working force but it will undergo the same transition in the coming decades and the cap wont be needed.

for noobs like Drno who cant actually read, and need some talking mouth to tell them basic things they should have learned in school in the simplest/propaganda terms for them to regurgitate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkxGQcm ... re=related

Pryuen keep posting updates on this I have a feeling this thread is going to get a lot of views, esp for news on the child's sex

Offline Profile