<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2009

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

I have been doing this every year since 2003 on YMM.

Originally, I did not expect that I have to start this thread this soon. I have high hope that the Rockets could sneak past LA Lakers to get into at least the Western Conference Final.

I thought to myself that at least for the past 6 years, I can for once start my Summer Activities thread in mid June or early July.

But sometime reality is cruel. Once again Yao Ming had crumbled to an untimely injury that had once again halted the Rockets' progress in the playoff.

So from today onwards, I will regularly post articles + photos (most of them translated ones from Chinese websites or from Houston Chronicles or other available sources)
updates of Yao Ming's 2009 summer activities.

Unfortunately for this year again, his summer will start with a 8 to 12 week recuperation/recovery from the thin-line fracture on his left foot.

Anyway, there will be alot of scheduled activities for him in this summer:

• Yao Ming is scheduled to be back to China sometimes in July
  • There will be a charity game organized by Uncle Mutombo and Yao Ming sometimes in July to raise funds for the foundations of Uncle Mutombo and Big Yao. Ironically both big men could not play due to the fact both will still be recuperating/rehabilitating from their injuries. But hopefully this activity will still proceed.
  • According to Uncle Mutombo's blog entry, he and Yao Ming are scheduled to participate as coaches for the NBA Basketball Without Frontier Asia, which will be back into China this year in July/August time frame.
  • Big Yao will visit the earthquake stricken areas of Szechuan again in August/September timeframe to donate 3 other primary schools for the needy there.
So stay tune and come visiting this thread often to follow Big Yao through the post-season.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:46 am
User avatarPosts: 321Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 pm
One thing is clear is that the Rockets must get a legit 7' backup center this off season.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:49 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Just read this touchy article on 163.com from a reporter of Shanghai TV who was at Yao Ming's home on Saturday evening, when Yao Ming received the bad news about his injury.

You can't but admire and adore Big Yao for the love and dedication he showed in his work.

Quote:

http://sports.163.com/09/0510/15/58VBNONJ00051CA1.html

Summary

• The Shanghai TV crew were in Houston to film a short clippage of Yao Ming saying a few words to the earthquake stricken kids of Szechuan, as well as presenting a gift to them for a special TV program for the anniversary of the May 12 Szechuan earthquake.
  • The crew were there in Houston Toyota Centre for filming a few clippage of Yao Ming and the Rockets in team practice. But they could not find Big Yao.
  • They then went to Big Yao's as previously arranged to start filming Yao Ming preparing the special gift, as well as giving a short speech to encourage the Szechuan earthquake stricken kids in China.
  • They first filmed Yao Ming painting with crayon a drawing of 2 hands holding a heart as Big Yao's gift to the Szechuan earthquake victims.
  • Then the filming had to stop as Big Yao received a call from Dr. Tom Clanton telling him the bad news: his 2nd CT scan revealed the thin-line fracture on his left foot and his playoff season had prematurely ended.
  • After receiving the call, Big Yao just proceeded to complete his drawing, and gave the speech, as if nothing had happened.
  • It was only when the Shanghai TV crew completed their filming and started to leave that Big Yao told the reporters about the bad news that his playoff seasons had ended. But he told them that he will still go to Toyota Centre for Game 4, to cheer and rave for his team mates by the court side together with Uncle Mutombo.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:52 am
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
I already created a rehab thread. No need for duplicates. Please remove this thread and post in the other one.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:00 am
Clippage of the video taken at his home for the Szechuan earthquake stricken kids.

http://video.sina.com.cn/sports/k/v/200 ... 4914.shtml

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:05 am
nig1 wrote:
I already created a rehab thread. No need for duplicates. Please remove this thread and post in the other one.

You must have overlooked what I posted there.

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... 533#367533

Without my input/contribution, that thread of yours is
VIRTUALLY A DEAD THREAD !!!
:roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:15 am
A better and faster clippage of that video he took at home for the Szechuan earthquake stricken kids.

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/22593459/v.swf

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:43 am
User avatarPosts: 3746Location: NJJoined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:05 pm
Good info, thanks pry.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:27 am
hopefully he can just chill with his wife, relax and rest

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:57 am
User avatarPosts: 4489Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
will Yao play in the asian basketball champoinships to determine which Asian teams qualify for the 2010 world basketball championships in Turkey.

Offline Profile