<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Aaron Brooks = New Mike James

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
I don't want to sound like he is as bad as Mike James.

but the selfish play of him in game 2 is one of the most important reasons that destroyed Rox chance of advancing to the second round.

Imagine 2 or 3 top big guys on the other team are in foul troubles, yet Aaron Brooks just keeps going at the rim or pull the jumper by himself and doesn't get his team involved much. Maybe he wants to be Michael Jordan so people will all respect him or something.

But Rox can not afford to have Aaron Brooks continue playing like that, that way they won't go far into the playoff..

What do you you guys think?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:15 am
User avatarPosts: 962Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:22 pm
I can live with AB's decisions most of the time. He's got speed to burn and we need his ability to penetrate and break down the defense.

We lacked this ability in previous playoffs because TMac was unable and unwilling and Alston was not as talented as our current guard roster.

The one guard I think we do need to put a finger on is Von Wafer. He's got talent but like last night not much brains. Talent and tunnelvision works two ways (for or against you). Like JVG was saying yesterday....his teammates may consider stripping him of the ball just to run the play THE RIGHT WAY.

The guy can bring down the house at times--only problem is it might be the wrong house.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:22 am
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
Wafer is in that JR Smith clone. We've had this discussion when he was just in training camps with Pryuen about his talent, he's talented. BUT, he's not consistent, when he's on, he's pretty good.

Brooks is doing pretty well in this series, i get the sense that he's better shooter when he shoots off the dribble.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:25 am
Because of his bad decisions last game I'm sure Von also got an earful from RA.

Hopefully he'll bounce back and play smarter.

The guy was once a practice player with the Lakers. Because of his talent/athleticism he probably thinks he's a shorter version of Kobe. Problem is unlike Kobe he doesn't pass much.

He's gotta learn or he'll be bouncing to a different team again.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:32 am
Gotta agree with you about Brooks being better shooter off the dribble though. It seems he's a rhythm shooter and best in clutchh situations. Given time to develop he'll be more than a good point guard. His speed (ability to get to anywhere on the court) and score increases his stock.

Only problem with him is his size BUT hey he's got the same height as AI right?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
MnYaoFan wrote:
I can live with AB's decisions most of the time. He's got speed to burn and we need his ability to penetrate and break down the defense.

You mean breaking down Rockets' offense??? :roll:

To me, Aaron Brooks is just like Chen Jianghua in the Chinese national team.

Yeah he has lightning speed.....no doubt about that.

Yeah he also shoots better than Rafer Alston.

But speed just seemed to be just his only weapon so far.

He lacks height, court vision, composure, the ability to organize offense, and the willingness to pass.

Alot of time, he just over-dribbled over 15 to 20 seconds and yet could not find the open team mates. And when he did decide to pass, it would leave too little time on the shot clock for his team mates.

When he penetrated, it seemed all in his eyes was the basket. He seemed lack of the ability or just unwilling to make an extra crispy pass to team mates in better scoring positions, and was throwing up contested jumpers or layups just to be blocked by the defenders.

And if you noticed, when his team mates, in particular Big Yao, set him the pick, he never bothered to roll the ball back.

His shot selections is another major problem. Yeah he got range, and he shot well from the perimeter. But very often he bricked the contested 3-pointers, resulting in long rebounds that created fast breaks for the opponents.

And his defense against his target point guards just SUX !!! He even made Steve Blake looks like an All Stars in Game 3.....with Steve Blake easily dribbled past him, and dishing out assist after assist after assist to Greg Oden and Travis Outlaw in 3Q for easy dunks.

He needs to improve his shot selections, his passing, his court vision, and cut off his individualistic style of play to become a better point guard.

He can't play on like this like a little chick without head.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm
Posts: 493Location: Cloud nineJoined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:26 pm
pryuen wrote:

He needs to improve his shot selections, his passing, his court vision, and cut off his individualistic style of play to become a better point guard.

I don't think Brooks will change. Brooks is not a pure point guard, he's more like a shooting guard. That's why we got Kyle Lowery. I won't be surprised to see Kyle Lowery with more playing time as we progress along in the playoffs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
Aaron Brooks is having a better series than yao ming. Just because his skills are shoot first, pass 2nd doesn't mean he plays selfishly. AB is learning on the job, it's only his 2nd yr. Now if he was a 5yr vet then that would be a problem. Ups and down are expected. If the Rockets are to beat the Blazers, it would be because of Scola, AB, Artest. Yao is having a horrible series so far. His nickname is Yao Ming da Decoy. I don't care what excuses u can use but 7pts and ZERO after the 1st quarter is pitiful. It doesn't matter that he was gangbanged, he didn't score a single basket in 3 quarters of play! Every year yao is exposed in the playoffs. First Boozer and Okur destroyed yao. Now Prizbilla and Oden are gangbanging yao and exposing his mobility issue. It ain't gonna get better when the Rockets face the Lakers with Bynum, Gasol, Odom. Truth is other than that anomaly of game 1, yao can't elevate his game in the playoffs. U can blame Tmac, Adelman, JVG, Aaron Brooks, Ron Artest, the same constant is yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 15529Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
you like to say gangbang. wut's with that?

Also, if it takes 2 people to make Yao score less yet get more rebounds. That's not so bad. Yao's teammates score more and Rox win.

Or maybe you were just posting cuz you like to to say gangbang some more. The e-thug that you are.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:56 am
Posts: 4547Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
nig1 wrote:
Aaron Brooks is having a better series than yao ming. Just because his skills are shoot first, pass 2nd doesn't mean he plays selfishly. AB is learning on the job, it's only his 2nd yr. Now if he was a 5yr vet then that would be a problem. Ups and down are expected. If the Rockets are to beat the Blazers, it would be because of Scola, AB, Artest. Yao is having a horrible series so far. His nickname is Yao Ming da Decoy. I don't care what excuses u can use but 7pts and ZERO after the 1st quarter is pitiful. It doesn't matter that he was gangbanged, he didn't score a single basket in 3 quarters of play! Every year yao is exposed in the playoffs. First Boozer and Okur destroyed yao. Now Prizbilla and Oden are gangbanging yao and exposing his mobility issue. It ain't gonna get better when the Rockets face the Lakers with Bynum, Gasol, Odom. Truth is other than that anomaly of game 1, yao can't elevate his game in the playoffs. U can blame Tmac, Adelman, JVG, Aaron Brooks, Ron Artest, the same constant is yao.

Isn't it amazing how stupid other teams are to send 7ftr double-teams and focus so hard on taking a decoy out of the Rockets' offense? I mean seriously, shouldn't they just leave the scrub alone? Since he sucks so much, they could just forget about him... :roll:

Offline Profile YIM