<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  03/22 Game 72: Houston Rockets @ San Antonio Spurs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Big Yao came to AT & T Centre early to practice his shooting and warm-up for the game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:49 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 15458Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
temuchin wrote:
rockets stole one from SA. so good work'

did anyone see the detroit/miami game

stuckey tried to do that same drive at the end of the game that he did versus houston and wade fouled him with his body going up, held him down with his left hand... then grabbed the ball out of bounds... and miami won LOL

****** refs. houston's doing good but that's the component houston still needs to beat utah and everyone else in the playoffs

I saw the last 5 minutes and Wade used some start power on that one.

My first reaction was that it was a foul, but watching the replay, it was very close.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:52 pm
Tang Man wrote:
Ping Ni wrote:
Tang Man wrote:
The spurs time keeper trying to cheat. You can't catch and shoot in 0.3 of a second.

I believe Fisher did.

They changed the rule because of that shot.

actually no, that's the trent tucker rules, put in place a long time ago

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title ... ucker_Rule

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 pm
The fighting Rockets on their way to a HUGE win !!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:27 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
temuchin wrote:
rockets stole one from SA. so good work'

did anyone see the detroit/miami game

stuckey tried to do that same drive at the end of the game that he did versus houston and wade fouled him with his body going up, held him down with his left hand... then grabbed the ball out of bounds... and miami won LOL

****** refs. houston's doing good but that's the component houston still needs to beat utah and everyone else in the playoffs

I saw the last 5 minutes and Wade used some start power on that one.

My first reaction was that it was a foul, but watching the replay, it was very close.

There was also the ball above the cylinder on the previous possession

The body by Wade I think is debatable. He definitely held Stuckey down with his arm though, and it looked pretty clear the ball should have gone back to Detroit because Wade was out of bounds. One of those things could be a missed call or a judgment call... all 3 missed by all 3 refs is definitely them swallowing their whistle aka star calls

In any case that's the kind of calls Yao needs. Wade said after the game it was debatable, basically he just did whatever he needed to do to stop physically stop Stuckey from scoring a basket, foul or no and he knew he'd get the call

This was a great win because it was come from behind it shows fighting spirit on the part of the entire team. As Tangman points out however, yao at the end of this game does EXACTLY what ppl were bitching about at the Detroit game... come out past the top of the key, set screens etc.

Yao pulled out some great passes and gets credit for the win rightfully but fans cant have it both ways.

today is an example of where Adelman's plays actually worked but if they'd have lost ppl would be howling about yao coming out too far instead of establishing position

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 pm
VIDEO of that 2 clutch assists from Big Yao to Luis Scola for the kill in that last minute of the game !!!

Great skill and court vision from Big Yao for that 2 passes from the high post !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4KLsY8 ... r_embedded

And I luv that chest bump between Scola and Yao !!! :P :P :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
temuchin wrote:

This was a great win because it was come from behind it shows fighting spirit on the part of the entire team. As Tangman points out however, yao at the end of this game does EXACTLY what ppl were bitching about at the Detroit game... come out past the top of the key, set screens etc.

Yao pulled out some great passes and gets credit for the win rightfully but fans cant have it both ways.

today is an example of where Adelman's plays actually worked but if they'd have lost ppl would be howling about yao coming out too far instead of establishing position

Different scenarios. The Pistons were playing Yao from behind. He was basically unstoppable. Adleman wanted him in the post and he basically ignored the coach's instruction to come out and set a high pick.

In this game, the Spurs took away his post up opportunities in the 4th with fronting defense. So he had to come out high.

I give Yao props for making play down the stretch. Sometimes, you're gonna struggle but as a main player on the team, you've got to make plays for your team. He had an important put back dunk (could have been call for offensive interference), important defensive stops on Duncan. Then making two passes for the go ahead points. He found a way to help his team win. That's all I can ask from him.

The rockets have a chance to go deep in this year's play offs but a lot is going to rest on Yao's shoulders. I am sick of all the talk. He just has to go out on the court and do whatever it takes to help his team get the W'. That means being influential on the outcome of the game in the 4th quarter. Whether it's scoring, passing, rebounding, key defensive stops just get it done.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:35 pm
Well it's a different scenario because the Spurs played a different defensive scheme than Detroit. On that last play for example they doubled the PG then they tried to double Yao, which left no one on Scola. Detroit was playing single on Yao which meant they couldn't front Yao but that also cut down on open men for Yao to throw a cut to.

You can blame Yao for coming out top on the Detroit game but he was looking to do the same kind of thing he was doing today with his passes... draw a double or get open off a pick and free up someone to throw the ball to... if nothing take the shot. But Brooks couldn't even get the ball to Yao. When Yao takes the ball down low, he'll get a good look if he has deep position but then the kickout is for a 3 not a layup... establishing a low post has the trade off of not leaving Scola open under the basket 2x

This is pretty much why I had more of an issue that Detroit game with them not being able to get the ball to Yao than Yao's decision to come up top. Obviously when he's on a roll the best % is deep post but really that decision is up to him. If he does come up top it's not like he's automatically abdicating all responsibility.

Today, if the defender doesn't come off scola to help on Yao and scola doesn't flash through the lane with his hands in the air, that's another 50/50 shot at midrange Yao takes at the end of the game

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 pm
pryuen wrote:
VIDEO of that 2 clutch assists from Big Yao to Luis Scola for the kill in that last minute of the game !!!

Great skill and court vision from Big Yao for that 2 passes from the high post !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4KLsY8 ... r_embedded

And I luv that chest bump between Scola and Yao !!! :P :P :P

Basically more of this type of play when Yao cannot beat the fronting defense. If yao had rolled to the basket nothing good would of happened, as it is he popped into an open area of the court, the oppostion big man who was guarding Yao doubled the point guard paying little attention to Yao, he could of shot a wide open jumper or passed it to an open teammate if help defense had arrived.

The Spurs run so many plays like that between Duncan/Parker, Duncan gets so many easy shot opportunities simply by camping 15-20 foot out from the basket waiting for a Parker penetration and dish.

Offline Profile