<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  02/24 Game 57: Houston Rockets vs Portland TrailBlazers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
Tang Man wrote:
bayern wrote:

I don't look at the situation that way. If there is a will, there is a way. This isn't the first time Yao gets fronted. Down the stretch, great players pose their wills on other players. Yao doesn't have that. He just gave up and went out to set a screen for others.

Exactly. Always deferring. When T-Mac is in the game, Yao comes out and sets screen. Now that T-Mac is no longer around, Yao still comes out and sets screen in the 4th. The team score 1 point in about 5 minutes of play and you have your best player coming out to set screens. Great players find a way to get their team those important baskets not rely on others to bail them out. Man, this team is done unless Artest becomes a beast. I think it's safe to say Yao will never ever be a leader on the Rockets team.

Yao will never be a leader, it's just not in him. It is what it is, I mean if it hasn't happened at this stage of his career, then it most likely won't happen in the near future either. I will be happy if he can just give 20/10 every night, and cut down on his TO. As for those few great players like MJ, Kobe,etc. Defenders know who is going to take these shots down the stretch and still can't do anything about it. With Yao, defenders can simply deny him the ball, let alone taking the shots.

Last edited by bayern on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:32 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
bayern wrote:

Yao will never be a leader, it's just not in him. It is what it is, I mean if it hasn't happened at this stage of his career, then it most likely won't happen in the near future either. I will be happy if he can just give 20/10 every night, and cut down on his TO.

Nice numbers but that's all it will ever be if he can lead the team down the stretch. Sometimes, it's not always about how many points you score or how many rebounds you grab. It's when you score them and get you grab them. Yao has been pulling disappearing acts in the 4th (the Mavs game and now this one) and it doesn't look like changing.

I think there was 1 play against the Mavs in the 4th quarter that sums up Yao Ming's leadership abilities. Dirk was defending him and making life tough for him to get the ball. However Yao did get it within 10 ft of the basket. Dirk basically gave up on the play when Yao got the ball and let Yao take the shot. However instead of shooting, Yao threw a weak cross court pass that was picked off. That's Yao right there. No killer instinct, no will to want to win the game for his team off his own shoulder. The TO also allows the other team to build momentum. Yao's downfall as a leader and closer was summed up in that one play.

The Rockets will be gone in the 1st round.

Last edited by Tang Man on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:38 pm
Yao is a Poptart, soft in the middle. :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:38 pm
Tang Man wrote:
bayern wrote:

Yao will never be a leader, it's just not in him. It is what it is, I mean if it hasn't happened at this stage of his career, then it most likely won't happen in the near future either. I will be happy if he can just give 20/10 every night, and cut down on his TO.

Nice numbers but that's all it will ever be if he can lead the team down the stretch. Sometimes, it's not always about how many points you score or how many rebounds you grab. It's when you score them and get you grab them. Yao has been pulling disappearing acts in the 4th (the Mavs game and now this one) and it doesn't look like changing. The Rockets will be gone in the 1st round.

One disadvantage of Yao is that he isn't quick enough, and he doesn't have the best stamina compare to those on the floor. So when he gets tired, so goes his game, on both ends of the floor. because his legs will become heavier and his reaction will be even slower.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm
Tang Man wrote:
bayern wrote:

Nice numbers but that's all it will ever be if he can lead the team down the stretch. Sometimes, it's not always about how many points you score or how many rebounds you grab. It's when you score them and get you grab them. Yao has been pulling disappearing acts in the 4th (the Mavs game and now this one) and it doesn't look like changing.

I think there was 1 play against the Mavs in the 4th quarter that sums up Yao Ming's leadership abilities. Dirk was defending him and making life tough for him to get the ball. However Yao did get it within 10 ft of the basket. Dirk basically gave up on the play and let Yao take the shot. However instead of shooting, Yao threw a weak pass cross court that was picked off. That's Yao right there. No killer instinct, no will to want to win the game for his team off his own shoulder.

The Rockets will be gone in the 1st round.

yao doens't have nice number you bum
unless you're talkinga bout the turnovers

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

As usual Big Yao came early to Toyota Centre to practice his shooting and footwork.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
bayern wrote:

One disadvantage of Yao is that he isn't quick enough, and he doesn't have the best stamina compare to those on the floor. So when he gets tired, so goes his game, on both ends of the floor. because his legs will become heavier and his reaction will be even slower.

Yao play less than 30 minutes tonight. So stamina can't have been the issue. He needs to post up aggressively and demand the ball. There were times this season when Yao got the opposing team's big men into foul trouble. It's difficult to draw fouls when you're a big man and 24 ft from the basket.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:45 pm
yaozaroni wrote:
Yao is a Poptart, soft in the middle. :roll:

I remember JVG said it once. You need to surround both Yao and T Mac with pit bulls, because they are indeed soft. Soft physically and mentally. That's why they haven't made out of the first round of the playoffs thus far.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 pm
Tang Man wrote:
bayern wrote:

Yao play less than 30 minutes tonight. So stamina can't have been the issue. He needs to post up aggressively and demand the ball. There were times this season when Yao got the opposing team's big men into foul trouble. It's difficult to draw fouls when you're a big man and 24 ft from the basket.

Of course, a lot of times he doesn't get the calls either. I feel bad for him because of that. That's a disadvantage too for him. You just can't punish someone for being big and ref differently.

Last edited by bayern on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile