<  The Olympics  ~  China vs Greece

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:26 am
G'day wrote:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/2008-08/18/content_6947454.htm

Seems like Yao isn't happy with tanking, only played 18 minutes and Jonas didn't really give a good excuse as to why he played so little minutes.

IMO, Yao has never really had good bbal IQ, can he not understand that CNT stands NO chance against Argentina? Atleast Jonas knows his mother team really well and CNT stands a much greater chance to make it to the semis against them.

WTF, so only tanking is considered smart now?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:04 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Yao Ming scored 16 points (5/8 FG% 0/2 3-pointer 6/8 FT%)/5 rebounds/2 turnovers/1 personal fouls in 18 minutes of play.

Obviously Jonas Kazlauskas wanted to tank the game such that China will face Lithuania in the quarter final, insteads of playing Argentina.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:24 am
This time I don't know. Yao was prepared for a fight. The coach even had a technical.

To bench Yao after the game was out of reach was the right call.

Lithuania has a population of 3.5m, but with a 78 member delegation to this Olympic. They lost to Australia because it was meaningless game for them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:28 am
User avatarPosts: 4465Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
the US is beating germany 39 to 12. they must be pissed about Kaman.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:55 am
williamshi888 wrote:
G'day wrote:

Seems like Yao isn't happy with tanking, only played 18 minutes and Jonas didn't really give a good excuse as to why he played so little minutes.

IMO, Yao has never really had good bbal IQ, can he not understand that CNT stands NO chance against Argentina? Atleast Jonas knows his mother team really well and CNT stands a much greater chance to make it to the semis against them.

On a basketball standpoint there's situations where tanking is advantageous, you just have to have an understanding of the game, know you're opposition and know your team's limitations to take the advantage.

From a fans standpoint it's never fun watching your team purposely throw matches, I didn't know what Jonas had installed so I watched the game, had I known it was going to be a tank I wouldn't have bothered watching.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:28 am
double post

Last edited by williamshi888 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:29 am
G'day wrote:
williamshi888 wrote:
G'day wrote:

On a basketball standpoint there's situations where tanking is advantageous, you just have to have an understanding of the game, know you're opposition and know your team's limitations to take the advantage.

From a fans standpoint it's never fun watching your team purposely throw matches, I didn't know what Jonas had installed so I watched the game, had I known it was going to be a tank I wouldn't have bothered watching.

Well, im simply a fan. and especially after what yao and yi said after the german game, I actually thought they were gonna go fo it. I thought that for the first time in my life Im going to see a tough CNT that will give its 100% with every opponent throughout a tournament. Well, we all saw what happened

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:01 am
G'day wrote:
Must congratulate Jonas here, full tank in the 1st half guaranteed no chance of winning. Think about it, Argentina is a physical, scrappy and dirty team with good perimeter shooters which China would not have stood a chance with. lithuania is similar to Argentina but from all the games i've seen of the two teams Lithuania are prone to a poor game, Jonas will know what needs to be done since he knows the opposition really well.

yea when china was actaully coming back in the 2nd half.....Jonas was pretty much trying to pick up a technical to make sure they wouldnt come back.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 am
Posts: 3803Location: Bet on us!Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 am
robWu wrote:
G'day wrote:
Must congratulate Jonas here, full tank in the 1st half guaranteed no chance of winning. Think about it, Argentina is a physical, scrappy and dirty team with good perimeter shooters which China would not have stood a chance with. lithuania is similar to Argentina but from all the games i've seen of the two teams Lithuania are prone to a poor game, Jonas will know what needs to be done since he knows the opposition really well.

yea when china was actaully coming back in the 2nd half.....Jonas was pretty much trying to pick up a technical to make sure they wouldnt come back.

I thought this was a pretty well coached game. China did their job and lost, but also gained some valuable lessons in playing hard and agressive and got to practice their zone.

They also had a chance to see Sun Yue at PG and it was fabulous.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 am
User avatarPosts: 2681Location: HoustonJoined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
tanking just shows a loser's mentality. It's a step backwards, this might come back to bite them. Blame the coach and players on this.

Offline Profile