<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Game #16: Houston Rockets vs Phoenix Suns

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:32 am
Will somebody tell me what's the point of Yao taking the ball at the elbow, only to pass it to someone unimportant? It's an extra "move" that doesn't really do anything! It's not like they do that to setup a pick or something, or for him to be dishing to a cutter!

Anyways, I loved the quick-fire jumpers! Get the ball, set the feet, shoot! This addresses my complaints about holding the ball forever while waiting for the open man or waiting for the double team.

Loved the hook shots! But learn to do those from the sides of the rim too!

Yao still passed out of the post too many times. An open teammate is not a better scoring opportunity than Yao in the post. The ONLY exception is if there is someone standing under the rim unguarded. Otherwise, if Yao has the ball in the post, Yao must take the shot. Period.

Yao backing down his defender was good, but is teetering on offensive-foul territory. Instead of backing them down in a straight line towards the basket, he should instead back them down on a side-to-side motion: back them down one step towards the lane, as if he wants to turn and throw in a shot from the lane. Then, when he feels the defender shift, then back down a step towards the sides, as if he wants to do that spinning post-move and dunk. Then, when the defender shifts again, then back down a step towards the lane. And so forth. This side-to-side motion will keep the defender constantly shuffling their feet and shifting their weight, thus making it impossible to ground their feet and pushback against Yao with all their strength. This way it's much much easier for Yao to get closer for a turn-around dunk, jump-hook, or fadeaway.

Big problem is defense: if Yao tries to defend his space, he gets called for a phantom foul by those corrupt refs. There's only one way to defend now: instead of jumping straight up and trying to block, he should jump sideways a little, so that there is no way that the charging opponent can run into him. But stay close enough where he can still reach out and try to block the shot. For instance, imagine a bull fighter: when the bull charges, the bullfighter steps sideways just a little bit, and turns to face the side of the bull is it goes by. Yao must learn to jump the same way, so that he's out of the way, but facing the opponent's shooting-hand side. Then, while still in the air, he can reach out and block from the side, or even from behind.

Overall, it felt like during this performance, Yao was starting to realize how much of an advantage he has over everybody on the court, and was starting to enjoy it!

I think the rest of the rox (aside from TMac) should just split all the minutes evenly. The bench guys are just as good as the other starters, so why do the other starters need lots of minutes? If every one of the bench and the other 3 starters would get an even 25 minutes each, that means each of them will have tons more energy when they are on the floor, which will create more turnovers, more rebounds, and more pick n rolls for Yao!

Last thing: Yao must just accept the fact that the refs are corrupt, and have been ordered to call phantom fouls on him. Complaining only works if there is a system of checks and balances in place, so that a person can receive justice. But the NBA is an authoritarian dictatorship on it's own island. There is no law above them. Have you ever seen a ref change a call because a player complained? Me neither. These refs make $200K a year; the players make millions. You think the ref gives a crap about them? Nope.
So somebody tell Yao to stop complaining, it won't work, and it makes him look bad on tv when his face is scrunched up in complain mode. Just do a quick, disapproving shake of the head and move on.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 am
[double]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:48 am
bamboodragon wrote:
Don't get too happy.. Yes, Yao did play agressive but you guys forgot one thing... Phoenix doesn't have any bigs that can guard Yao.

Remember how Yao played against Kaymen, Shaq and other bigs? He doesn't play that well..

And why can't both Tmac and Yao play good together instead of one night, its all Tmac and the other night its all Yao..

Yao usually played well against the big guys like shaq, while he had problems with smaller and faster players.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:50 am
Is bamboodragon the same person as nomad-balla? They sound almost identical.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:02 am
I am glad Yao used my negative feelings and turned it into a win. I will always say bad things about Yao before every game! :lol:

Anyone got a link to the torrent?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 am
User avatarPosts: 58815Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:06 am
superjohn wrote:
bamboodragon wrote:
Don't get too happy.. Yes, Yao did play agressive but you guys forgot one thing... Phoenix doesn't have any bigs that can guard Yao.

Remember how Yao played against Kaymen, Shaq and other bigs? He doesn't play that well..

And why can't both Tmac and Yao play good together instead of one night, its all Tmac and the other night its all Yao..

Yao usually played well against the big guys like shaq, while he had problems with smaller and faster players.

Exactly. Offensively Yao does fine against everything but double coverage. I haven't looked it up but my guess is that he's got the edge on Shaq statistics wise in the games where they've matched up. Defensively the guys he has problems with are smaller, quicker players who can beat him off the dribble, like Carlos Boozer.

I'm not sure if there are all that many games where two star players combine for more than say 60 points. Maybe Kobe/Shaq? I'd have to look it up. I do think it would be really cool to see a game where both T-Mac and Yao get 30+ points.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:11 am
Wow. Just rewatching this game and the foul-calling on Yao is just awful. His turnovers are also still a concern.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:15 am
User avatarPosts: 58815Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:45 am
Badgerfan wrote:

I'll admit it's a chicken and egg type of thing.

it's not a chicken and egg type of thing, it's a mouse on a treadmill type of thing.

yao played with more confidence because he WAS more confident. he's the type of player when he hits his shots and gets into a groove will hit a high percentage of his shots and get himself going around the basket.

when the team is losing or he's not playing well, he'll stop looking for his shot and be more prone to hesitation, resulting in more TOs and strips near the basket.

it's certainly not a surprise rockets won this game especially with Francis delivering in the clutch, but it's not like this team's turned a corner... they hit 50% of their 3s and any of the games they lost this year they would have won with 50% 3s compared to 20%.

Offline Profile