<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:09 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
nomad_balla wrote:
you're right but he is showing good aggressiveness........which is totally what the team lacks on the offensive end especially going to the hole....you got guys in the perimeter that are just looking to shoot 3's....it's god to have a guy like him on the team....i agree that he should have passed up the shot on the layup....but i think he is also really try to showcase himself to get more minutes.....

That's NEVER an excuse. When you've got a 3 on 1 fast break you MUST finish. Getting block is in excusable. These things may mean nothing in this game but could end up costing you games down the road. Getting into a good habit is always a good thing. There was a play in the 4th quarter where he again ignored his teammate to go for the glory. He scored but te refs could have called him up for a travel. These are bad bad habits for a player to pick up. Again it's good that he is showing aggressiveness but it would be better if he play a lot smarter.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:21 am
So CNT ran out comfortable 82-62 winners. I only saw the 1st and 4th quarter. The feed kept annoyingly dropout in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Yi and Yao dominated down low in the 1st quarter and were too much for the Bullets to handle. The 4th quarter just like in game 2 was garbage time with the bench players playing the entire 4th quarter. Well after losing the 1 st game at least CNT restore some pride.

Wang Lei had decent game. However for me he was far too selfish and seem to play for himself rather than the team. He shows some flashes of good things but at the same time undid his good work with some selfish plays. You should NEVER get block on a 3 on 1 fast break especially when you have a 6'9" guy wide open. Hopefully he will learn to better use his skills to help the team.

The worst player on CNT right now is Wang Shipeng. He must be the player Yao was refering to when he said players weren't listening to coach K and playing their own game out there. He jack up some poor poor shots. He really needs pull his head in if he is to be an asset on this team.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:31 am
Posts: 1565Location: San Diego & HangzhouJoined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:15 am
Tang Man wrote:
nomad_balla wrote:
you're right but he is showing good aggressiveness........which is totally what the team lacks on the offensive end especially going to the hole....you got guys in the perimeter that are just looking to shoot 3's....it's god to have a guy like him on the team....i agree that he should have passed up the shot on the layup....but i think he is also really try to showcase himself to get more minutes.....

That's NEVER an excuse. When you've got a 3 on 1 fast break you MUST finish. Getting block is in excusable. These things may mean nothing in this game but could end up costing you games down the road. Getting into a good habit is always a good thing. There was a play in the 4th quarter where he again ignored his teammate to go for the glory. He scored but te refs could have called him up for a travel. These are bad bad habits for a player to pick up. Again it's good that he is showing aggressiveness but it would be better if he play a lot smarter.

how can you blame a guy for going to the basket for a dunk with aggressiveness and getting blocked? he might have a guy open but he was already in the air.......plus, he made some good passes in this game

i know on one occasion he should have passed the ball instead he went for the layup for himself......i really don't think wang lei has bad habits...the people that have bad habits are wang shipeng and zhu fangyu who would never pass up a shot for a better shot.......i mean wang lei didn't do everything right today but he was definitely the bright spot for the team with steals, going to the hole and good rebounding.....you are simply looking too much into the a couple of mistakes from a young player who is still up and coming

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:06 am
nomad_balla wrote:

how can you blame a guy for going to the basket for a dunk with aggressiveness and getting blocked? he might have a guy open but he was already in the air.......plus, he made some good passes in this game

i know on one occasion he should have passed the ball instead he went for the layup for himself......i really don't think wang lei has bad habits...the people that have bad habits are wang shipeng and zhu fangyu who would never pass up a shot for a better shot.......i mean wang lei didn't do everything right today but he was definitely the bright spot for the team with steals, going to the hole and good rebounding.....you are simply looking too much into the a couple of mistakes from a young player who is still up and coming

Goodness me it's it NOT obvious to you. It was a 3 on 1 fast break. The guy went to the basket and when he felt the guy in the air behind him he should have drop the ball off to Ding for an easy dunk and 2 points. Instead he when for glory and got embarrassed for his trouble. Playing selfishly should ALWAYS be frown upon. Things like that can swing momentum and cost a team a game. Remember Derek Fisher's missed lay up in game 1 of the 1st round against the rockets. He cost them the game and could have almost cost them the series. That's how serious it can be. At least Fisher was wide open unlike Wang Lei. If I was coaching, Wang Lei would've came straight to the bench and cop an earful. Like I've said the guy showed some good stuff but undid his good work by playing for himself.

Anyway here are highlights of the game.

http://www.huanantiger.com/viewthread.p ... a=page%3D1

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 am
Tang Man wrote:
nomad_balla wrote:

Goodness me it's it NOT obvious to you. It was a 3 on 1 fast break. The guy went to the basket and when he felt the guy in the air behind him he should have drop the ball off to Ding for an easy dunk and 2 points. Instead he when for glory and got embarrassed for his trouble. Playing selfishly should ALWAYS be frown upon. Things like that can swing momentum and cost a team a game. Remember Derek Fisher's missed lay up in game 1 of the 1st round against the rockets. He cost them the game and could have almost cost them the series. That's how serious it can be. At least Fisher was wide open unlike Wang Lei. If I was coaching, Wang Lei would've came straight to the bench and cop an earful. Like I've said the guy showed some good stuff but undid his good work by playing for himself.

Anyway here are highlights of the game.

http://www.huanantiger.com/viewthread.p ... a=page%3D1

i agree with you on that play but can't you see the potential in this guy? i'll take him over anyone for the 3 position...especially guys like zhu fangyu who is showing no passion lately......i see him getting lots of minutes in the following games and i believe he will start at the 3 position come 2008

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:47 am
nomad_balla wrote:

i agree with you on that play but can't you see the potential in this guy? i'll take him over anyone for the 3 position...especially guys like zhu fangyu who is showing no passion lately......i see him getting lots of minutes in the following games and i believe he will start at the 3 position come 2008

I actually had no problems with him attacking the basket on that play. However where he made the mistake was when he felt the guy on his back he should have drop off the pass to Ding instead of going through with the shot. Like I've said, good players have that unncanny ability to make that adjustment and turn something from nothing into something.

In those type of situations, an athletic player like a Jordan would have dunked that home. However it's obvious that Wang Lei won't be able to finish with a dunk because he isn't a good enough athlete. So he needs to be smarter on those type of plays like a Magic Johnson or a Larry Bird. You know these guys would have went to the hoop, jump in the air, drew the defender off his feet and then dished to an open man for an easy dunk. The next time they are in the same position the defender won't know whether to commit or not. It's this moment of hesitation that allow great players like Magic to finish plays like that despite not being gifted with a great vertical leap. As Wang Lei play against better athlete's he must make that recognition. That's why he would have impressed me a lot more had he drew the defender and pass. This sort of play will work at ANY level of basketball. However to finish the play like he try and do requires great athleticism. If he doesn't have it against the Bullets, it's unlikely he'll be able to pull it off at the next level. That's the type of skill difference I've been talking about.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:03 am
dude...the guy made a mistake.....just let it go........he is not michael jordan, magic johnson or larry bird. we're not debating over what would have been the right play as i've said i agree with you..... all i'm saying is he could be up and coming for the 3 spot and has good aggressiveness unlike other chinese players....

you don't have to agree with me about his potential. and we don't have an argument about that certain play...... now while we're at it.....what do you think about this guy? do you see him giving solid contributions in the future? do you see him starting in the near future?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:04 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Another double-double for Big Yao, 17 points/10 rebounds, .

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 am
tang man.....i was actually a bit confused on that particular play......i didn't really recall a play like that....because both times he went up for dunks he got fouled until the last time he converted.....

you could be refering to a play where ding went up for a dunk and got blocked....i missed bits and pieces of that play but the announcer made a mistake when she said wang lei went up for dunk but it was actually number 23 ding jinhui....like i said, i didn't recall...so i could have missed it..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
It was an easy win....82 vs 62.

Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian went on a scoring competition in 1Q. China led 21 to 11 by 1Q, with Yao Ming scoring 10 points and Yi Jianlian 8 points.

2Q....39 vs 30

3Q....70 vs 50

4Q like Game 2, both Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian
did not play. Zhang Songtao and Ding Junhui took their part. But the 2 of them and Wang Lei continued the firepower....and China won out 82 vs 62.

Yao Ming: 17 points/10 rebounds; Yi Jianlian: 18 points/7 rebounds; Wang Lei: 15 points; Liu Wei: 11 points; Ding Junhui: 10 points; Zhang Songtao: 8 points; Wang Shipeng: 3 points. 6 assists from Sun Yue.

Offline Profile