<  Around the NBA  ~  NBA REFEREES

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
In Yesterday's game of the Spurs vs Mavs, Referee Joey Crawford kicked out Tim Duncan from the game. He gave Duncan the heave-ho when Duncan was on the bench and laughing to himself over a questionable call on the court. Crawford gave him his first T a little over a minute earlier, also while Duncan was on the bench. If you watch the Spurs over the years, Duncan is a constant whiner who is always complaining when a foul is not called after he shoots and misses or objects when he is called for a foul. But yesterday was wrong. He should not have been ejected from the game while sitting on the bench. Some of these refs like Crawford and Mauer think they are bigger than the game itself.

Rank your worst and best referees:

Worst

1. Ron Garretson (uniform # 10) - Only got the job by Nepotism (Father Darell used to be Head of Officials). Makes a lot of bad or no-calls. Is a suucker for a flop!

2. Ken Mauer (uniform # 41) - Thinks too much of himself - thinks he is bigger than the game.

3. Violet Palmer (uniform # 12) - I might just be prejudice of female officials, but she makes a lot of bad or no-calls.

4. Joey Crawford (uniform # 17) - Thinks too much of himself - thinks he is bigger than the game. He kicked out Steve Francis from a game against the Jazz over 6 years ago when he thought he saw Steve elbow John Stockton in the face (replays showed that Stockton flopped.

5. Tony Brothers (uniform # 25) - Does not know how to officiate big men, such as Yao and Shaq.

Best

1. Dan Crawford (uniform # 43) - Very professional referee who calls it very objectively.

2. Leon Wood (uniform # 40) - former NBA player who knows the game. Does not fraternize with any players.

3. Jess Kersey (uniform # 20) Old school referee but get most calls right and good at recognizing player conflicts.

4. Diick Bavetta (uniform # 27) Old school referee. He may miss a call here and there, but if he sees it - he is going to call it. Also good at recognizing player conflict before a fight erupts.

5. Steve Javie (uniform # 29) He also sometimes thinks he is bigger than the game. But he is not afraid to make calls against the Superstars.

Last edited by TheRoxRedGlare on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
.........................NBA Referees Website

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:10 am
Image http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/b ... index.html

Let's play the feud
Duncan: Referee has 'personal vendetta' against him

Posted: Monday April 16, 2007 6:04PM; Updated: Monday April 16, 2007 6:23PM

Joey Crawford (above), shown here with Tony Parker,
said Tim Duncan was "complaining the whole game"
before being ejected.
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images

DALLAS (AP) -- Losing a tense, physical, emotional game to their top rival and being forced to settle for the third seed in the Western Conference was bad enough for Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.

Even worse: Duncan is convinced official Joey Crawford is out to get him, with a brawl possibly needed to settle things.

Crawford hit Duncan with two technical fouls just 1:16 apart late in the third quarter of San Antonio's 91-86 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Sunday. The second came while he was laughing on the bench and meant an automatic ejection, just the second of his nine-year career.

"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?"' Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?"'

The Spurs sorely missed their top player down the stretch, failing to score a basket over the last 6:32 while allowing a 9-0 run to end the game. The loss ended their hopes of catching Phoenix for the No. 2 seed and home-court advantage if they meet in the second round.

While this was a thrilling game between Western Conference powers, the story of the day turned out to be Duncan vs. Crawford.

"He came into the game with a personal vendetta against me," said Duncan, who had 16 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two blocks in his limited action. "It had to be because I didn't do anything the entire game. I said three words to him and the three words were, 'I got fouled' on a shot. ... That's all I said to him the entire game."

Crawford disagreed, saying that "he was complaining the whole game."

"And then he went over to the bench and he was over there doing the same stuff behind our back," Crawford said. "I hit him with one [technical] and he kept going over there, and I look over there and he's still complaining. So I threw him out."

Crawford spoke to a pool reporter before Duncan spoke to the media. Asked about Duncan not thinking he deserved to be tossed, Crawford said: "That's his opinion. He said nothing when he was walking off the court and he called me a piece of [expletive]. Is that nothing?"

San Antonio had won six straight and was on a 12-1 roll. The only loss came against Indiana -- another game that Crawford worked and another game that he rang up a T on Duncan.

"I kind of imagine it stemmed from that," Duncan said. "I don't have a problem with Joey. Obviously he's got a problem with me."

Teammate Bruce Bowen, who also got a technical from Crawford in the third quarter, couldn't believe his superstar teammate was tossed, especially for something so mild.

"Do I think it was deserved? No," Bowen said. "For a former MVP of the league, a guy that doesn't curse out the officials like I hear some of the other guys cursing out the officials, I think it was unfortunate that he was dealt this blow."

Said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich: "My beliefs will be shared privately, not with [reporters]."

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:07 pm
http://www.nba.com/news/crawford_070417.html

NBA Referee Joey Crawford Suspended

Posted Apr 17 2007 1:27PM

[size=117]NEW YORK, April 17, 2007

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:02 pm
I saw the part of the game where Duncan got T'd up both times. I thought it was total BS. Which player don't complain and whine about foul calls??? The second one was even more ridiculous, Duncan was just having fun on the bench, not even paying attention to the game...

Right there I thought this ref has got to be punished. What has the NBA turned into if this goes unpunished??? And wow, Stern dropped the hammer hard! I thought a few games suspension would do but dang... Good job Stern!!!

Are they rescinding the T's on Duncan?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:21 pm
GoYao wrote:
I saw the part of the game where Duncan got T'd up both times. I thought it was total BS. Which player don't complain and whine about foul calls??? The second one was even more ridiculous, Duncan was just having fun on the bench, not even paying attention to the game...

Right there I thought this ref has got to be punished. What has the NBA turned into if this goes unpunished??? And wow, Stern dropped the hammer hard! I thought a few games suspension would do but dang... Good job Stern!!!

Are they rescinding the T's on Duncan?

Duncan was fined 25K for calling Crawford "a piece of shiet!"

The Commish was on PTI and he said that Crawford told him that he did nothing wrong, and if the Commish would not back him, he would resign as a referee.

Bye, bye Joey!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Finally, Stern takes a stand against the a Ref. This means their will be precedence for other referees to step it up and officiate at a Pro level. Refs with big heads aren't meant for the game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:06 pm
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4724247.html

Sports

Joey Crawford (shown in the 1998 Eastern Conference finals)
has been a postseason mainstay.
BETH A. KEISER: AP

April 17, 2007, 7:15PM

Referee Crawford suspended in Duncan flap

[size=117]NEW YORK

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 pm
.........................Ahmad Rashad's Interview Of The Chuckster

..............................Image

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 am
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=198116

NBA ref Crawford suspended indefinitely

Posted: April 17, 2007

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Joey Crawford is done ejecting players and coaches this season. On Tuesday, he was the one getting tossed.

The veteran NBA referee was suspended indefinitely by commissioner David Stern for his conduct toward Tim Duncan, who contends the official challenged him to a fight during a game in Dallas.

Crawford has worked more postseason games than any active ref. His suspension will last at least through the NBA finals, and he apparently will have to meet with Stern after that to discuss reinstatement.

"Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted," Stern said in a statement. "Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities."

Crawford ejected Duncan from San Antonio's loss after calling a second technical foul on the Spurs star while he was laughing on the bench.

"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?"' Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?"'

Crawford was cited for "improper conduct" and "inappropriate comments made to Duncan during the game." Stern said Crawford's actions "failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees."

The NBA also fined Duncan $25,000 for verbal abuse of an official. Crawford said Duncan referred to him with an expletive.

Crawford was the first referee suspended since Rodney Mott was banned three games on Jan. 12 for making an obscene gesture toward a fan and also using inappropriate language in Portland.

Crawford comes from an officiating family. His brother, Jerry, is a major league umpire, as was his father, Shag.

Joey Crawford is in his 31st season as an NBA referee. He has officiated more than 2,000 games during the regular season and 266 in the playoffs, including 38 in the NBA finals.

But his temper has gotten him noticed before, especially in Game 2 of the 2003 Western Conference finals, a matchup involving the same teams as in Sunday's game. Crawford called four technical fouls in the first 10-plus minutes, leading to ejections of then-Mavs coach Don Nelson and assistant Del Harris.

Nelson and Harris, now with Golden State, and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban all declined to say anything about Crawford's suspension before the Warriors played Dallas on Tuesday night.

"All I can do is get in more trouble," Nelson said.

Crawford also called a technical in a recent game against Duncan, who said Sunday that Crawford has a "personal vendetta against me."

Duncan was called for his first technical foul Sunday with 2:20 remaining in the third quarter for arguing about an offensive foul. Crawford hit him with the second technical 1:16 later after Duncan was on the bench laughing about a call that went against the Spurs.

With Duncan gone, the Mavericks rallied to beat the Spurs, ending San Antonio's chance of earning the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference.

Offline Profile WWW