<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Game 80 - NOK Hornets @ Rox 4/14/07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
yoda9999 wrote:
Anyone surprised?? Dallas didn't need to win. And neither does PHX :?

PHX is still fighting with San Antonio for the # 2 seed, so they will be playing hard against Utah. Good chance if they beat Utah they will guarantee # 2 seed and no reason to play hard against the Rox.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
who is chasing who here? At this point, I believe the Rockets are a game ahead. If they think they are good enough, then they shouldn't count on others but themselves. After all, control your own destiny. If they want help, then it only means they don't even have the confidence to win the rest of their games. In other words, might as well fold now and lose to the Jazz in the playoffs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:59 pm
Posts: 99Location: ChicagoJoined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:06 am
bayern wrote:
who is chasing who here? At this point, I believe the Rockets are a game ahead. If they think they are good enough, then they shouldn't count on others but themselves. After all, control your own destiny. If they want help, then it only means they don't even have the confidence to win the rest of their games. In other words, might as well fold now and lose to the Jazz in the playoffs.

It would be great to get some help. At least it doesn't hurt to have somebody to beat Utah for a game or two.

Most of championship teams get lucky at some point. Put it this way: It's better to be lucky than being good.

Rockets are not superior yet. They will need a LOT of luck and help to advance.

So there is nothing wrong to hope for some help, not at all.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:05 am
Posts: 99Location: ChicagoJoined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:06 am
[quote="TheRoxRedGlare]
PHX is still fighting with San Antonio for the # 2 seed, so they will be playing hard against Utah. Good chance if they beat Utah they will guarantee # 2 seed and no reason to play hard against the Rox.[/quote]

If they have choices, Mavs would like to play Utah and Suns wants Rox, for matchup reasons. So it is understandable that Mavs have no intention to help Rox. However, Suns probably wants to beat Utah. When Suns play Rox, they will likely rest starters like Mavs tonight.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:45 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4714407.html

With his back problems behind him,
Tracy McGrady has helped the Rockets
win three straight.
STEVE YEATER: ASSOCIATED PRESS

April 13, 2007, 11:35PM

Time to raise intensity here for T-Mac
As playoffs near, Rockets' leader spreads the word

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Time, which has a way of sneaking up when we're looking the other way, caught Tracy McGrady when his head was turned.

McGrady was out with a sore back, missing most of one game and all of another. He knew the problem was minor compared to his past problems. But when he returned, time was staring him in the face.

There were five games left in the regular season. The Rockets, heading into a three-game road trip, had lost three in a row. McGrady was struggling. The postseason was two weeks away.

A day later, on Sunday, McGrady dominated the Sacramento Kings and said, "It's that time. It's that time."

It was the reminder he repeated for himself and the message he had begun spreading as soon as he returned.

"He's said it to me a few times," guard Luther Head said. " 'It's time. It's time. This is the time.' That's the way he's playing, like he's going out there on a mission to try to lead us, and that's what he's doing. He's playing like he's ready."

On Monday, McGrady pounced on Seattle. Wednesday, he helped the Rockets roll up a 25-point lead in Portland, before he and the Rockets faded. But in the past three games since coming back from the sore back, McGrady has averaged 33 points, 7.3 assists and seven rebounds.

Starts with the stars

"Like I said, man, I got to let these guys know we got to be ready," McGrady said. "It's got to start with me. It's going to start with me and start with Yao (Ming). I'm just trying to go out and set an example and let these guys know there is no jive coming down the stretch with these games heading to the playoffs. I want to be playing and want us to be playing great basketball, with great intensity and pick it up a little bit."

The need for intensity became clear in the last game before McGrady's back tightened, the April 1 loss to the Utah Jazz, the Rockets' first-round opponent next weekend. The Rockets lost the game, but McGrady said they gained an understanding of what is waiting for them.

"Once we get to the playoffs, it's got to be all-out," McGrady said. "We're playing against a team that goes hard. We can't be one of those teams that the first couple games sits back and thinks, 'Damn, what just hit us?' We got to be ready for that."

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he has not seen a change in McGrady's style or attitude, but in the quality of his play.

"I don't see it as radically different," Van Gundy said. "I think he's playing better. ...

"I don't know if he's feeling better. He knows his body better than anybody. And yet, I think he can always do more and do better because I think he's that special and unique of a talent.

Unique talent

"I've told him many times, if he wanted to be first-team all-defense, he could do that. He could average eight rebounds a game. He could do a lot of things. I think he's that unique of a player. You can't do all those things at once. You'd have to have an unbelievable energy level. He's talented enough in all those areas to be a dominant player."

Citing Van Gundy's "seize the opportunity" speech, McGrady said it is time that he dominate.

That was not exactly Van Gundy's message.

"Mine is always that it's always time," Van Gundy said.

But after McGrady was out for most of two games, he felt time running out.

"I missed a week. I was out for a week," McGrady said. "I'm well-rested. I feel great. I'm just trying to get in playoff mode right away."

It is, he said, that time.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:01 am
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4714140.html

April 14, 2007, 12:42AM

ROCKETS SUMMARY

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TONIGHT: NEW ORLEANS at ROCKETS

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:10 am
if roz win the enxt 2 games they get home court?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:03 am
PhucU2 wrote:
if roz win the enxt 2 games they get home court?

Not if Utah beats PHX, Portland, and then the Rox.

Last edited by TheRoxRedGlare on Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:19 pm
What does PHX care if they have #2 or #3 seed?? They going to the WC finals no matter who they play :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:50 pm
zekezeng wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
PHX is still fighting with San Antonio for the # 2 seed, so they will be playing hard against Utah. Good chance if they beat Utah they will guarantee # 2 seed and no reason to play hard against the Rox.

If they have choices, Mavs would like to play Utah and Suns wants Rox, for matchup reasons. So it is understandable that Mavs have no intention to help Rox. However, Suns probably wants to beat Utah. When Suns play Rox, they will likely rest starters like Mavs tonight.

Spurs have the tiebreaker with the Suns. In order for Suns to clinch the 2nd seed before Suns/Rockets match, Mavs have to beat the Spurs, which of course is possible if the Mavs go all out. Otherwise, the Suns are not ready to take the rest yet when they meet us.

Offline Profile