<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:18 pm
waterfall_zen wrote:
Why didn't Yao wear knee braces to protect his recovering knee?

I may be wrong but I don't think a knee brace is really going to protect against anything with the sort of injury Yao had in his leg.

And Pryuen you're doing a great job with this thread, it's much appreciated!

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 693Location: LAJoined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:07 pm
Animosity wrote:
waterfall_zen wrote:

I may be wrong but I don't think a knee brace is really going to protect against anything with the sort of injury Yao had in his leg.

i am pretty sure the knee protects his knee from having contact with other players, but when he is shooting by himself it is probably not required, but i wonder why he dont' wear during shooting practice so he can get used to wearing it

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Photos of Yao Ming in Atlanta in the pre-game team practice.

So even Yao Ming's presence at the courtside in Atlanta could not boost/motivate his team mates to step up and win over that scrap team........
!@#$%^&*()*&^%$#

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:20 pm
UltraRetard wrote:
Animosity wrote:
waterfall_zen wrote:

i am pretty sure the knee protects his knee from having contact with other players, but when he is shooting by himself it is probably not required, but i wonder why he dont' wear during shooting practice so he can get used to wearing it

The knee brace is heavy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Latest sohu.com interview (by Zhang Yi) of Yao Ming in Atlanta.

Quote:

http://sports.sohu.com/20070224/n248325403.shtml

Sohu Sports: Big Yao, do you worry a bit, if you have to pivot on your right leg and make movements?

Yao Ming: Nothing whatsoever to worry about. But sometimes, when I need to turnaround, the rack (i.e. the brace supporter) sort of suppressed my leg muscle, and I could not apply force to my leg. If I do away with the brace supporter, then I can apply force to my leg. The situation is better in the evening than the morning, most probably, the leg muscle has been exercised enough. The feeling in the morning is just so-so, probably the muscles have not been exercised.

Sohu Sports: Even though you still can't play, you travelled out together with the team on this Eastern road trip. What has been your consideration?

Yao Ming: I just hope I can readapt to the competitive atmosphere along with the team, as most games are so competitive and exciting. Simultaneously, I would also like to observe those new game plan/set plays of the team. After all, I have already missed that many games. I surely need to rebuild that tacit understanding and chemistry (with the rest of my team mates.)

Sohu Sports: You will soon return to play. So up till now, have you encountered any problems?

Yao Ming: There certainly are (new) problems, and alot of them surfaced during the walkthroughs in the past 2 team practices. Because I was injured and sidelined, the team had already made changes/cancelled some tactics/set plays. When I was not on the court, when they had the ball from the exterior, they now penetrated more into the interior. I am accustomed to move up and demand the ball when they had the ball in the exterior. So now often we will clash together. This had happened during the team practice, and therefore it will probably also occur during actual game action. So this has to be resolved during our future team practice. Firstly, it will depend on how the head coach will adjust. Secondly, it is important that we synchronize. By synchronization, I mean, regardless whether I move over to fight for position, or my team mates doing the pnetration, we must synchronize, or else we shall collide.

Sohu Sports: Now the Rockets is striving to gain home court advantage in the playoff. In your expereince, how important is to have home court advantage in the playoff?

Yao Ming: I had played in 2 playoffs so far. Every time you play on home court, you can definitely feel it.....the roaring home fan support, just like the impact of a tsunami. Defintely this will have an impact on the players.

Sohu Sports: So do the Rockets now start to pick their opponents in the playoff, e.g. will it be better to face Utah Jazz or some other teams in the playoff ?

Yao Ming: I still remembered, in the 2004-05 season, we were leading the Dallas Mavericks 2~0 (after playing away). Some people started to ask me whether we would need to play the Mavericks back in Houston. What happened? We got sweeped by the Dallas Mavericks. Don't you think you're asking this question too soon ?

Sohu Sports: But Tracy McGrady already said we can talk about the Rockets' playoff prospect ?

Yao Ming: Maybe we are in different situations. He is still playing with the team and therefore he has this kind of feeling. I have been away from this team for a long while now, I don't have this kind of feeling yet. Maybe after I return to court, after I recapture my form/conditions and my confidence, then I will have this kind of feeling. Now I do not have this kind of feeling. I have been idling on the bench for too long now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:46 am
Yao should get smart by avoiding collision with any players in certain situations otherwise he may get hurt again.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:57 am
Latest update from Jonathan Feigen of Houston Chronicle.....

Quote:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 78380.html

Feb. 23, 2007, 11:47PM
ROCKETS NOTES:

Yao eager to return

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Yao Ming, describing his rehabilitation as 90 percent toward ready to practice, said Friday he hoped to be ready to play in a week or 10 days. Then he laughed at his own optimism, saying he knows it will take longer than that to be medically cleared.

"A player tries to rush back," he said. "They just feel bad about sitting on the bench and watching a team play. Doctors make sure everybody is fine and that you're not going to get hurt again when you get back to the game. I understand. He is just doing his job.

"I just feel that way. I cannot change myself. I feel it's too slow. But I know he's doing his job, being nice to me, trying to protect me. I understand now. I appreciate that. But I try to shorten it. He knows."

Yao said he was with the team in Atlanta "to get the road trip per diem."

"I'm doing shootaround to try to learn quick, sub with ( Dikembe Mutombo) to try to learn the plays, our new stuff, the stuff they added in the eight weeks I missed," Yao said.

Yao went through his usual pregame shooting drills before the game, ran and then lifted weights during the game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am
superjohn wrote:
Yao should get smart by avoiding collision with any players in certain situations otherwise he may get hurt again.

More importantly, he should stop diving for the damn ball. Let your scrubs do that Yao!! :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 4156Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 pm
glad that yao's rehab progressing nicely.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:15 pm
Posts: 99Location: ChicagoJoined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:06 am
yoda9999 wrote:
superjohn wrote:

More importantly, he should stop diving for the damn ball. Let your scrubs do that Yao!! :lol:

Noooooooooooo!

Injuries in basketball are accidental and can't be avoided by evading contact. If a player is trying to avoid injury for not going 100%, he is more likely to get injured.

I never heard any one gets serious injured in diving for loose ball other than getting floor burns. Drawing charges may result in getting stiches but nothing serious.

The only things Yao can do to avoid injuries are:

(1) getting stronger
(2) getting rest
(3) pray (obviously Yao does'n go to church)

Offline Profile