<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Thread on Yao Ming's Rehabilitation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:56 pm
Interesting how JVG would rather have Yao back ASAP (let him play to get back into game shape), while guys like Bonzi, and Snyder have to be in shape in order to take the floor.

Just shows how important Yao is to this team's success.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:12 pm
User avatarPosts: 58874Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

This is from Zhang Yi of Sohu Sports from Houston.

YUP.....Yao Ming has started team practicing with the Rockets.
:P He is doing everything as required in the team practice, other than playing contact basketball.

Quote:

http://sports.sohu.com/20070221/n248310371.shtml

In the red training hall of the Toyota Centre, Yao Ming, leaning on a side wall, was surrounded by alot media/press reporters, being bombarded with questions on how he felt about his first team practice, and when will he be returning to court.

(It was) US Houston local time February 20 14:00pm in the afternoon (Beijing standard time February 21 dawn 04:00 am). The Houston Rockets conducted its first team practice at Toyota Centre after the All Stars Weekend. Yao Ming participated in the team practice but had not played any contact basketball yet.

"How was Las Vegas?" asked one reporter from Houston local television station who seldom travelled together with the Rockets. The question seemed inappropriate and untimely. Yao Ming failed to get it the first time; he pondered, smiled, and said: "Oh, the All Stars ? I've forgotten about it. What happened in Las Vegas stayed in Las Vegas."

It was eight and a half week since his injury. Yao Ming was forcing himself to race wtih time in order to be able to return to court to do what he liked best, i.e. to play basketball again. The Rockets management did not want him to rush, but the demanding Yao Ming just continued on working diligently on his rehabilitation as far as the doctors would allow him to.

While Houston media reporters were still making up stories and queried Jeff Van Gundy's view point that once Yao Ming can join team practice and play contact basketball, he should return to play, Yao Ming obviously did not want to further dwell on this; "I am only doing what I am supposed to do now, to adjust myself quickly so as to be ready to be competing again." Yao Ming said.

As to how he felt about his first team practice, Yao Ming indicated that he was not up to his competitive form and shape. "Well, I did almost everything in today's team practice except for playing contact basketball. I'm starting to pick up and learn about some new game plan/set plays of the team." Yao Ming said. "I can now do all the movement, but just the strength and speed are not yet there. Even without playing contact basketball, I can now train together with the team."

Obviously, Yao Ming had yet to return to his "best feeling". Yao Ming understood this clearly. "I can feel it; at the moment, I am not yet 100% recovered, not yet back to how I felt before I was injured. I am absolutely sure about this. I know myself very well. But I firmly believe, this will require some time for me to return to the condition that I used to play before I was injured." Yao Ming said beaming with self confidence just like how he felt about this Rockets season

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 58874Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Another article from Zhang Yi of Sohu Sports.

http://sports.sohu.com/20070221/n248310311.shtml

All the contents very similar to the above, except one additional information at the end of the article.

Yao Ming will go to have another Magnetic Resonance Inspection (MRI) tomorrow (February 21 US Houston time). He said he will know after the MRI when exactly can he be returning to play.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:26 am
The Houston Chronicle version from Jonathan Feigen.......

5 to 6 hours late than those from Sohu.com's Zhang Yi.

Notice the quotes of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady......almost in exact wording and meaning from Zhang Yi's. This probably means those are genuine quotes from Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, and that Chinese websites do not normally fabricate stories.

Quote:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 68603.html

Feb. 21, 2007, 12:21AM

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Yao making strides

Rockets center Yao Ming went through the shooting and offensive walkthrough part of the Rockets' practice on Tuesday, another step toward returning to play.

"We'll find out more (today after an MRI)," Yao said. "I'm not 100 percent who I was before I got the injury. I know myself. I think it will take some time, but when I get to play, I will get back to that level."

Yao has been running on a soft track, football field and treadmill.

Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said Yao worked out every day at 6 a.m. during the All-Star break.

"He's running fine," McGrady said. "He's not favoring his knee, which is a great sign. Hopefully, he can come back earlier than we expect him to."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:20 pm
Posts: 1565Location: San Diego & HangzhouJoined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:15 am
pryuen wrote:
The Houston Chronicle version from Jonathan Feigen.......

5 to 6 hours late than those from Sohu.com's Zhang Yi.

Notice the quotes of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady......almost in exact wording and meaning from Zhang Yi's. This probably means those are genuine quotes from Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, and that Chinese websites do not normally fabricate stories.

Quote:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 68603.html

Feb. 21, 2007, 12:21AM

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Yao making strides

Rockets center Yao Ming went through the shooting and offensive walkthrough part of the Rockets' practice on Tuesday, another step toward returning to play.

"We'll find out more (today after an MRI)," Yao said. "I'm not 100 percent who I was before I got the injury. I know myself. I think it will take some time, but when I get to play, I will get back to that level."

Yao has been running on a soft track, football field and treadmill.

Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said Yao worked out every day at 6 a.m. during the All-Star break.

"He's running fine," McGrady said. "He's not favoring his knee, which is a great sign. Hopefully, he can come back earlier than we expect him to."

a couple of genuine quotes does not validate previous fabricated quotes....... they have a long way to go before they become a creditable source of information

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Yao Ming came as usual 2 hours earlier to Toyota Centre before the game with Miami Heat to join the team practice. He can do most of the movements now, except still rusty, as he himself admitted that he has yet to get up to speed with his speed and strength.

And according to the latest article from Wang Meng, after the MRI he went through, the doctors were still hesitant to give him the permission for playing contact basketball........ :twisted:

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:51 pm
a couple of genuine quotes does not validate previous fabricated quotes....... they have a long way to go before they become a creditable source of information[/quote]

Can you tell me what "they" have been fabricated?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:43 pm
Why didn't Yao wear knee braces to protect his recovering knee?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:54 pm

So according to the latest article from Zhang Yi of Sohu Sports, Yao Ming will travel with the Rockets to Atlanta, the very first time since his injury he travelled together with the team on road game (Unlike the previous trip to Chicago for a second opinion/prognosis from a doctor).

And in the article, there are quotes from Keith Jones and Nelson Luis on the latest rehabilitation status of Yao Ming. So after all, it was not as pessimistic as Wang Meng wrote. It is still on the right track......
10 days to go before Yao Ming resumed playing contact basketball !!! :P :P :P

Quote:

http://sports.sohu.com/20070222/n248317235.shtml

In Summary

• After the Miami Heat game, the player corridor was crowded with alot media/press reporters. Everyone was concerned about the status of Dwyane Wade's shoulder injury. Yao Ming was seen in his light colored casual wear, walking and talking with Keith Jones, the Rockets trainer/physician.
  • Yao Ming seemed to be in a good mood, probably due to the Rockets had completed a clean sweep on the defending champion, Miami Heat, beating them 112 vs 102. "I have had a MRI today. The doctors had yet to discuss with me the final results. But I will travel to Atlanta." Yao Ming told the Sohu Sports reporter.
  • The Rockets will meet Atlanta Hawks on February 23 (US Local Time), and then they will travel to Orlando to play against Orlando Magic (February 25). The team will leave Atlanta by a chartered flight on the 22nd, and Yao Ming will be travelling with the team. This will be the first time that ever since his injury on December 23, 2006 that Yao Ming travelled with the team on road trips. A previous trip to Chicago was for Yao Ming to see a physician for a prognosis of his injury, and was separate from the team.
  • On the results of Yao Ming's MRI, Keith Jones told the Sohu Sports: "Even though the recovery is not 100% perfect, it is still on the right track. But we're still not definitely sure when he can return to play."
  • And the version from Rockets' Director, Media Relations, Nelson Luis was: Yao Ming's recovery had been on the right track, and in the next 10 days (one and a half week), he will step up his rehabilitation by rejoining the team practice and resuming some contact drills.
  • So all indications are that Yao Ming will be returning to court by early March.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:09 am
It was like washing in winter with cold water !!! :roll:

Quote:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...kn/4571973.html

Rocket Notes

NOT SO FAST, BIG FELLA

Rockets center Yao Ming moved a step closer to his return, though team physician Tom Clanton said that after an MRI on Wednesday it was still too early to agree with Yao's prediction last week that he would play in "about two weeks."

"His progress has been exceptionally good so far," Clanton said. "It's been right on track, and he's had no setbacks. You don't want to put somebody into a position there is a risk of injury, and one of the things that's been shown to be directly related to sports injuries is failure to completely rehabilitate from an injury such as this. We're going along step by step and making sure he meets the goals he sets."

Of Yao's goal of returning in two weeks, Clanton said, "I think that's what he's saying."

Offline Profile