<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Game 22: Rox @ Warriors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 7211Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
superjohn wrote:
rico wrote:
Pry is right. rox lost the double digit lead in late 3rd quarter when Yao took a break. If Deke and Co. held the lead into 4th quarter, Yao would have had a longer rest. Yao was off the floor for only 32sec in 4th quarter. rox bench didn't step up and do their jobs tonight. Deke hurt rox big time. He couldn't even stop Biedrins 1 on 1 in the paint. rox need a big body with some offensive moves badly to back up Yao.

At his point, even Wang or Bateer can do a better job than Deke who is making big money but doing little.

Lol, 2 of the 10 worst players in NBA history. This is great logic. Kind of like how the loss was T-Mac's fault since he didn't play????

Quote:
yao played his heart out tonight. you cant ask for much more from him. i think he was too tired the last few minutes to play well. his shots started going short. and his last second 3 pointer looked like it wasnt for him. i think it was supposed to be a give and go back to luther head but head wasnt in place and yao didnt want time to run out so he shot a fadeaway 3 pointer. i think if yao was supposed to be the shooter they would have just placed him at the top of the key and shoot over his defender.

I love the excuse for Yao here about some sort of give and go(doesn't sound like a give and go to me, and there really wasn't time for a give and go anyway). A few misteps by the whole team in the 4th cost them the game. Battier committed a stupid foul that really changed the momentum.

Anyway here is alink explaining what a give and go is.

http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball.com/play_2.htm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
Even without T Mac, the Rockets should have beaten Golden State easily with the players they have. The Rockets have no one to blame but themselves.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:05 am
IF YAO made that last trey attempt, it would have been pandemonium galore here at YMM.

We'll just have to wait another day I guess.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:22 am
41 minutes is asking too much of Yao since he didn't get enough help offensively except from Head. The fatigue really showed in the last few minutes.

An in-shape Wells would have been the difference but chubby was 2-7 and his technical foul ended up being important since it was so close at the end.

VSpan was 0-5.

The last two minutes of the 3rd quarter really sucked because the lead went from 12 down to 3 to give the Warriors momentum.

If the Rockets had managed to rebound off the Monta Ellis 3pt miss with 29 seconds left in the game it would have been over with a 4 pt lead and free throws coming. Instead Dunleavy got the rebound, layup plus a free throw courtesy of Battier.

So many little things that would have made the difference in a tough to swallow loss. Warriors are tough at home and played well enough to beat most teams but the Rockets should have won this one.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:33 am
User avatarPosts: 58946Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:44 am
Posts: 271Location: San FranciscoJoined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:20 am
Guys,

Warrior fan here (if anyone remembers). :) I was at the Arena (courtside seats - 4 rows from the court) watching the game tonight.

The Warriors came out flat to start the 3rd quarter and the Rockets did well to take the lead. It was impressive the Warriors were able to come back since the Rockets are usually known as a defensive team.

It was obvious Yao was tired at the end as his shots were going short or long. He was also rushing it a little bit at the end.

However, IMHO, the biggest play wasn't Baron Davis's 3 pointer to win the game. It was the rebound Dunleavy got, who made the layup, got fouled and made the free throw.

I don't know if anyone reads the Warriors news out here in the Bay Area, but Warriors fans (and even coach Don Nelson) give Dunleavy a hard time for not being a good rebounder, despite being 6'9".

Well, he rebounded tonight and that last rebound gave the Warriors a last gasp chance.

You guys can look at this game as a payback for that big loss the Rockets gave to the Warriors last week.

However, there was also something VERY INTERESTING tonight. It was EXACTLY a YEAR AGO TONIGHT when the Rockets stole a game from the Warriors in Oakland (12/14/05). I know because I was at that game as well. The Warriors were up by 10 or 11 but I think Luther Head hit a three to send the game into overtime and the Rockets went on to win.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:12 am
seiya wrote:
interesting. did BD explode in their previous match?

whether tmac can help this team offensively depends whether they needs more O this game. the fact is they scored 104 points & that's decent. head did a good job of filling tmac's void. yes it hurt when yao was out. but if u review the game as a whole, what's the real problem? offense or defense? did we really lack of firepower in the 4Q? check our points in the 4Q. we scored 29 and we should've won the game if not for our D allowing 35 points.

remember how we played great defensively when tmac left early? we were supposed to play good D but not in this game, esp on davis. now ask urself CAN TMAC HELP THaT? HELL NO.

& i could make an argument that rox's offense might stumble w/ tmac dominating the ball n playing magic johnson role. hvn't we seen enough of that b4 he really stepped up until his last 3 games?

T-Mac would probably give the other players more open shots. He himself was'nt shooting that well until recently but he would draw enough attention to give Yao and the others easier shots. Yao would'nt have been as tired in the 4th quarter with less double and triple teams during the game. The Rockets only shot 41.7% against a defensively weak Warriors team and that should'nt happen. 104 points sound good but the efficiency was poor.

Last week T-Mac was 13-25 and Yao was 12-17 in routing the Warriors. The Rockets shot 53.6% then vs 41.7% tonight. Big difference. Maybe you can't expect another 50+ % night but a 45% performance would have been more than enough. The Warriors were allowing on average 45.9% opponent shooting before tonight.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:34 am
Posts: 8228Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
trade yao while he still has value.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:08 am
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
Why didn't Lucas play? He played pretty well last game. Alston is not young. 46:27 is too much for him. How can he guard anyone in the 4th quarter? Why didn't JVG give the kid a chance?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:18 am
Moving screen should be called on Foyle when Baron made that lucky azz 3 pointer!!!!!! MOVING SCREEN!!!!!!!!!

Offline Profile