Author Message

<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Houston Rockets vs Detroit Pistons GAME no.10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 181Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 1:07 pm
ShowTime wrote:
Van Gundy's stubborn system works, usually.

Just not in the past 3 games during 4th quarters. Reason? Fatigue and Chuck Hayes

Knowing Van Gundy, he will be too stubborn to make adjustments, hence were losing those 4th quarters where Yao gets tired without Hayes' blue collar contributions. But it should be asked "What adjustsments can he make?" Rocket's bench is filled with scorers nowadays, rebounding department needs a boost!.

The Rockets can shoot, they shot 48% for the game but shot the ball 15 times less, thats simple mathematics to show you how turnovers destroy a team. Lose = turnovers, turnovers = fatigue, fatigue = either unfit or doing more then one has to.

Van Gundy needs to make adjustments for the next few games on 4th quarters, I don't know how, thats why he gets paid 5 million more then I do every year, but he must do something until Hayes comes back.

And guys, show him some love, the man sounded nice on the radio, coped a fine for sticking up for Yao and has done a pleasant job organising and disciplining the Rockets thus far in the season. The Rockets might be losing to the injury bug again, but this one is definately overcomable. Van Gundy add oil!!!


Just want to point out that the 48% is due largely to much higher % from Yao and Tmac.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
ShowTime wrote:
Van Gundy's stubborn system works, usually.

Just not in the past 3 games during 4th quarters. Reason? Fatigue and Chuck Hayes

Knowing Van Gundy, he will be too stubborn to make adjustments, hence were losing those 4th quarters where Yao gets tired without Hayes' blue collar contributions. But it should be asked "What adjustsments can he make?" Rocket's bench is filled with scorers nowadays, rebounding department needs a boost!.

The Rockets can shoot, they shot 48% for the game but shot the ball 15 times less, thats simple mathematics to show you how turnovers destroy a team. Lose = turnovers, turnovers = fatigue, fatigue = either unfit or doing more then one has to.

Van Gundy needs to make adjustments for the next few games on 4th quarters, I don't know how, thats why he gets paid 5 million more then I do every year, but he must do something until Hayes comes back.

And guys, show him some love, the man sounded nice on the radio, coped a fine for sticking up for Yao and has done a pleasant job organising and disciplining the Rockets thus far in the season. The Rockets might be losing to the injury bug again, but this one is definately overcomable. Van Gundy add oil!!!


True. JVG is a good coach. Tmac need to help him and run the offense. Actually, if you read between the lines, that's what JVG's begging for all year.

IF the coach can't create you need a player that can score at will and make the coach look good.


JVG might be a good defensive coach, but on offense, I don't think he has a lot of ideas.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:26 pm
Posts: 1646Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:33 pm
JVG doesn't work for this unit right now. There aren't really any tough defensiev players besdies Battier. It's essential that Bonzi and Hayes come back.

But JVG is a tool on offense. The guy runs horrible plays. There is very little movement from the non-duo players. Quite ridiculous.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 58946Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:29 pm
Posts: 1646Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:33 pm
On a side note, the Rockets gm should be on the phone for a defensive PG this instant. Watson has fell out of favor. The guy is very good defensively.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:51 pm
Posts: 1433Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:45 pm
Man, it sucks that the Rockets collapsed again, after having a big lead over the opposing team. At least Yao got his individual numbers, with 33 points and 16 rebounds. The 8 TOs were the black mark on an otherwise great game. Don't know why, but Yao's turnovers have been way up this season. :?

T-Mac had a good shooting night, which is his 3rd in a row. Hopefully, this means he has broken out of his slump.

Battier didn't shoot much, but was efficient with the shots he got. He also got 6 rebounds, which is a lot better than the small amounts he's gotten in some previous games this season.

The game was lost because of Alston and Juwan, both of which were nonfactors in this game. Alston shot 2-8 from the field, and only had a mere 1 rebound and 1 assist. Juwan laid an egg in the points category. It's unacceptable to have a starter who misses all his shots and doesn't even score the whole game.

Meanwhile, the Pistons had a balanced attack, with 4 starters scoring in double digits. It looks like Yao shut out the opposing center though.

It's disappointing to suffer another loss like this, but at least Yao got out of his 2-game shooting slump.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
JimRaynor55 wrote:
The 8 TOs were the black mark on an otherwise great game. Don't know why, but Yao's turnovers have been way up this season. :?


The TOs are a necessary learning experience. Yao has been more patient in the paint this season, which means he holds the ball longer b4 he makes a move or decision, thus the chance of getting stripped has also increased. Plus, he also got called for a lot of travellings, most of which were good calls.


Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:12 pm
User avatarPosts: 58946Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
seiya wrote:

Plus, he also got called for a lot of travellings, most of which were good calls.


Well, Yao Ming said it afterwards to the Chinese reporters, and agreed that there was one minor bug/bad habit in his footwork that caused his travelling. He said the referees used to call those travellings for his first 3 seasons, but not any more last season, but now for some reasons.......they started to call it on him. And he had 4 ~ 5 travellings called tonight.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:13 pm
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
the game was lost becoz rox's inability to make our offense flow in the 4th quater. the decision of playing tmac as pg hurt once he's shut down, which automatically means yao also get denied fr the ball. i'm never a fan of playing tmac at point becoz he's a very bad low post feeder. he's a great passer in the traffic or off penetration but couldn't pass w/ both feet on the ground. it's the most weird thing. yao was forced to set extra picks for him. if it works, like vs heats, it'll be great. if it doesn't work, rox s*ck big time like 2nite.


Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:40 pm
Posts: 108Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:44 pm
My apologies, 42% for the game which is not good enough as the Rockets scored 3 point less then they usually do (95). However, the game was lost because of defense as letting opponent scoring 12 point more then the Rockets usually allow (90) is devastating. Turnovers is a primary reason for these turnovers. The energy of the Rocket's in the 4th quarter is drastically low (especially Yao as now he has to do Chuck Hayes' work since Juwan cannot fill that void). Yao was no longer a significant scoring threat in the 4th quarter because of his fatigue, and the rest of the rockets didnt step up. Dammnit this is when T-Mac needs to come in take over the game like he says he can "anytime". Anyway we need Hayes and Wells back to take the rebounding and blue collar work role off Yao, Juwan is a non-factor in this area, he is a legitimate scorer but his role obviously has been dropped now that the Rockets have many more scoring options.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 36 of 38
371 posts
Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum