<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Rockets vs. Bulls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 pm
WiseYao wrote:
Now you are getting to the bottom line.

It is up to the coach to make sure the players are showing up. And that is quite subtle.

Rockets need a proven winner to coach them. But I don't think Larry Brown is a good match, even he is available.

With no better options is one of the reasons JVG is still there.

Maybe, Rudy can come back if he is healthy and interested? He might be stressed by doing nothing now.

Quote:
So who in your opinion should coach the Rockets? Is Jeff Van Gundy responsible for the loss 2 years ago or is it a matter of the players not showing up?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, there is no better coach on the market than what we have at home. JVG is not perfect, but neither was Rudy T, or Larry Brown. Any suggestion that Larry Brown come to Houston is ridiculous. People whine all the time about the Rox being defensive, gee and what would happen if Brown came to town? Good god people. Rudy T is washed up and was bad in his last two years from us. If he was the coach Yao would never get the ball. How do I know this? Maybe because Yao got the ball 1/25 of the times that he should have his rookie year.

JVG is not only young and could be around for the future to provide stability (which is shot to hell with a coaching change), but the players love him, he will stick his neck out for Yao in a heartbeat (see any recent press conference), he runs the offense through Yao, he doesn't draw attention to himself (a la Brown); I mean what is there to ***** about? A 6-3 record with huge wins over last years finals teams? A 6-1 record in the last 7? God, you're right. Those are terrible numbers. We should fire his ***** right now. How dare we win 6 out of the last 7 games! Blasphemy!

At some point we need to realize it is a lot about coaching, but this is a player's league. The player's have to deliver. JVG isn't responsible for Tmac's shooting slump, or Yao's turnovers, or Alston's bad defense.

Playing Bonzi and Novak is not going to instantly make up a finals team. If anything, they will incrementally increase our production. Sure Wells could help in the scoring dept, but rushing him back fat increases his chances of getting hurt and drops him right back on the pine. REMEMBER HE MISSED 30+ GAMES LAST YEAR WITH THAT GROIN!

One more thing. Larry Brown had ten times the talent of the Rox last year and 1/4 the winning record. If that doesn't say enough about why he has no business in Houston nothing does.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 330Location: Uno ElmOJoined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:55 pm
ant0328 wrote:
WiseYao wrote:

It is up to the coach to make sure the players are showing up. And that is quite subtle.

Rockets need a proven winner to coach them. But I don't think Larry Brown is a good match, even he is available.

With no better options is one of the reasons JVG is still there.

Maybe, Rudy can come back if he is healthy and interested? He might be stressed by doing nothing now.

Quote:
So who in your opinion should coach the Rockets? Is Jeff Van Gundy responsible for the loss 2 years ago or is it a matter of the players not showing up?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, there is no better coach on the market than what we have at home. JVG is not perfect, but neither was Rudy T, or Larry Brown. Any suggestion that Larry Brown come to Houston is ridiculous. People whine all the time about the Rox being defensive, gee and what would happen if Brown came to town? Good god people. Rudy T is washed up and was bad in his last two years from us. If he was the coach Yao would never get the ball. How do I know this? Maybe because Yao got the ball 1/25 of the times that he should have his rookie year.

JVG is not only young and could be around for the future to provide stability (which is shot to hell with a coaching change), but the players love him, he will stick his neck out for Yao in a heartbeat (see any recent press conference), he runs the offense through Yao, he doesn't draw attention to himself (a la Brown); I mean what is there to ***** about? A 6-3 record with huge wins over last years finals teams? A 6-1 record in the last 7? God, you're right. Those are terrible numbers. We should fire his ***** right now. How dare we win 6 out of the last 7 games! Blasphemy!

At some point we need to realize it is a lot about coaching, but this is a player's league. The player's have to deliver. JVG isn't responsible for Tmac's shooting slump, or Yao's turnovers, or Alston's bad defense.

Playing Bonzi and Novak is not going to instantly make up a finals team. If anything, they will incrementally increase our production. Sure Wells could help in the scoring dept, but rushing him back fat increases his chances of getting hurt and drops him right back on the pine. REMEMBER HE MISSED 30+ GAMES LAST YEAR WITH THAT GROIN!

One more thing. Larry Brown had ten times the talent of the Rox last year and 1/4 the winning record. If that doesn't say enough about why he has no business in Houston nothing does.

AMEN to ya
great coment and i agree wif ya.

JVG is certainly not perfect but wif a 6-3 record, its pretty dam good wif all the new players in the team.

In addition, considering tat tmac is still not in form, bonzi hasn't played, the new players still learning and yao yet to peak (actually 26/10 is pretty good) so the team is doin fine cept we need to learn how to close a game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 7213Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
Don't badmouth Rudy Tomjanovich because you're arguing with someone who doesn't understand that when teams make mid season coaching changes they only get worse unless they're bringing in Hubie Brown.

All Jeff VAn Gundy can do is prepare the Rockets for the upcoming opponent. His defensive prowess proves he gets that done. If the Rockets go cold in the 2nd half is he really responsible??

As for everyone's woody about Novak, Bill, and especially Wells pay attention. Billy is too wild on the floor, Novak just isn't necessary(you're retarded if you think he would have made a difference against S.A.), and Wells refuses to work hard and get himself in shape. If Yao came back from China 40 lbs overweight or T-Mac came into camp 20 lbs overweight Jeff would expect them to work their asses off to get into playing shape. So why shouldn't Bonzi?

Quote:
I was JVG's fan for a long time. But you can only tolerate the results for that long. After the 7 series loss 2 years ago, he should be sacked - even financially costly.

Why should he have been sacked. He got consistent production out of Tracy McGrady and nobody else. Yao, Mike James, JB, Wesley, Sura, etc all were hit and miss the entire series. Against a team that was that much more talented that won't get it done. Think about that before you say someone should be sacked. Think about how unfair that is.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 pm
Freak YAO! Now I really see how far he can go! With slim arms and weak mindset, he can do the best only to make some mid range jump shots because of his height!! If he lost the touch, often, he would be no match even against someone who is 20cm shorter!

And this is the one rockets has been trying to center with, and this will be the reason rockets is going to lose again this year! Even lucky cross the playoff gate, no single inch forward! Bunch of losers!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 pm
Battier needs to get it in his mind that he is option number 3. He still acts like he is on a deep offensive team.

But defensively, he's been superior.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 7213Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
1China wrote:
Freak YAO! Now I really see how far he can go! With slim arms and weak mindset, he can do the best only to make some mid range jump shots because of his height!! If he lost the touch, often, he would be no match even against someone who is 20cm shorter!

And this is the one rockets has been trying to center with, and this will be the reason rockets is going to lose again this year! Even lucky cross the playoff gate, no single inch forward! Bunch of losers!

Please shut up. Nobody had a good shooting night. Nobody had a good shooting night when the Rockets and Spurs played. It's what happens when to good defensive squads get together.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
WiseYao wrote:

It is up to the coach to make sure the players are showing up.

Sure you can say it is up to the coach to make sure the players are showing up. Then again, these players aren't kids either. They are adults as well as professional athletes. If they constantly need a coach to make sure they are showing up, then there is something with the players. Let me put it this way, if you have a job, do you expect your boss constantly make sure you are showing up? I think it's very basic for you to make sure you show up for work yourself. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why the Rockets aren't a great team yet, because they are simply not mature, discipline enough to be a great team at this point.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:43 am
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:31 am
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
Our superstars have a sub par game again. It's nice to see that our role players are playing better and better. Especially Padgett. I want him to play alongside Yao until Hayes recovers. And I hope it's the last time they blew a big lead! 8)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:55 am
User avatarPosts: 12317Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
ant0328 wrote:
......... One more thing. Larry Brown had ten times the talent of the Rox last year and 1/4 the winning record....
aw, that's just nonsense. Last Yr, Rox had 2 all-stars, Yao and TMac. NYK's best player was a rookie Channing Frye, whos avg ~ 12ppg. :roll: :roll:

Offline Profile