<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Houston Rockets vs. Spurs @ TC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:01 pm
OOLONG48 wrote:
nba.com wrote:
The Rockets held Duncan and Tony Parker to a combined 7-of-24 from the field before Spurs coach Popovich benched them midway through the third quarter.

With the two All-Stars out, the Spurs mounted a 20-1 spurt, holding Houston without a field goal for eight minutes.

That's great coaching from Pop. I won't blame too much on JVG for the loss since our bench no doubt is the weaker one.

And JVG never allowed his bench to develop by using only a 9-men roster every single damn game!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:09 pm
Posts: 2750Location: HoustonJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:51 pm
The reason the Spurs were able to make such a big move was because Pop put fresh legs into the games against the tired Houston Rockets Starters. Young fresh players in the third quarter are what most good coaches look for when they go to their bench. They want energy and scoring potential.

Look at the Atlanta Hawks tonight. Josh Smith shot only 1-12 and Coach Mike Woodson pulled him out and looked to his bench in the second half. Hawks got great production out of Lue and Childress. It's basically what the Spurs did to the Rockets too. Pulled out his starters that were sucking wind, benched them and looked to his bench for energy.

Problem is, we put in Mutumbo who isn't going to score much of anything and Padgett who is also not known for racking up a bunch of points or distributing the ball.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Last edited by pryuen on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:27 pm
I told you so. Whoever playing alongside JH is like taking on double responsibilities. You have to fight against two defenders at the offensive end and box out two rebounders at the defensive ends.

That's what Yao have to do most of the time in this game. :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
Yao had a poor shooting game! 7 out of 21 shooting, 6 of 9 free throws, and only 6 rebounds! Now he is like any other Rox player - he is human and will have a bad game from time to time. Now the team moves on and prepares for Chicago Bulls on Thursday.

Took a huge step backwards after winning the player of the week award. Sigh...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:29 pm
mirthheart wrote:
The reason the Spurs were able to make such a big move was because Pop put fresh legs into the games against the tired Houston Rockets Starters. Young fresh players in the third quarter are what most good coaches look for when they go to their bench. They want energy and scoring potential.

Look at the Atlanta Hawks tonight. Josh Smith shot only 1-12 and Coach Mike Woodson pulled him out and looked to his bench in the second half. Hawks got great production out of Lue and Childress. It's basically what the Spurs did to the Rockets too. Pulled out his starters that were sucking wind, benched them and looked to his bench for energy.

Problem is, we put in Mutumbo who isn't going to score much of anything and Padgett who is also not known for racking up a bunch of points or distributing the ball.

I guess their bench ran over the Rockets once again, kind of like the pre-season game.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:31 pm
WTH happened 2nd half?!? I didn't see the game but I check the score and one minute we're up by like 20, and then we lost?!?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:43 pm
Saw some of the game highlights on NBA.com. One play, Yao got blocked by TD. If Yao have a bit of explosiveness going up strong for the basket, then that block should have never happened. Now that's something he can learn from Mr Shaq. Then again, I guess Yao is too slow to show any explosiveness.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
ninamu wrote:
hoopfan wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
Yao had a poor shooting game! 7 out of 21 shooting, 6 of 9 free throws, and only 6 rebounds! Now he is like any other Rox player - he is human and will have a bad game from time to time. Now the team moves on and prepares for Chicago Bulls on Thursday.
To bad the Rockets don't have a couple days off their schedule has been brutal. I am proud of them for doing as well as they have. Like you said they should not dwell on this loss and get ready for Thursday.

Let's hope for the best. But I am still mad that JH started tonight. I have very slim hope that the Rockets will go far this season, with the way JVG is running things, and is still running things.

You are being too hard on JVG. With Chuck Hayes out, he didn't have any option but to start JH. I am not a fan of JH either, but Shane is not big enough to handle Tim Duncan. Yao Ming couldn't guard TD or even get any rebounds. Once the Spurs took out Oberto and Elson, they put TD at Center and forced Yao Ming to defend him. TD is too polished as a player and was able to use good foot work to get Yao moving laterally, which is Yao's weakness.

I am convinced that the outcome would have been different if we had a healthy Chuck Hayes and a conditioned Bonzi Wells. It will be interesting when these two teams meet again. The Rox are very close to being at the Spurs' level, which should make all Rox fans optimistic this year!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
bayern wrote:
Saw some of the game highlights on NBA.com. One play, Yao got blocked by TD. If Yao have a bit of explosiveness going up strong for the basket, then that block should have never happened. Now that's something he can learn from Mr Shaq. Then again, I guess Yao is too slow to show any explosiveness.

Did they show the one Yao blocked TD? I guess not. :roll:

Offline Profile