<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  FIBA ASIAN CHAMPIONSHIP Doha, Qatar Sep 8-16

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:47 pm
My observation was in the first quarter, when Liu has no flow and control of the game and the others were not moving. After a time-out, China played much better, and of course even more so with Sun as the general. He has the height advantage to pass the ball to Yao. And you can see more pick and roll since then. Also, a lot of weakness cut and screen.

Pop to the coach and I should retrack my previous statement.

superjohn wrote:
Judge wrote:
The Chinese coach is below par. There is no offensive set at all. No pick and roll. No set play. Not even a clear strategy.

But the Chinese coach is a Lithuanian.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Judge wrote:
The Chinese coach is below par. There is no offensive set at all. No pick and roll. No set play. Not even a clear strategy.

The strategy is so clear for everyone to see. Inside-Out. The centre regardless of Yao Ming or Yi Jianlian is the go-to-guy. Either shoot or dunk at the low post to score or toss it out to the perimeter for open 3-pointers by either Zhu Fangyu, Li Nan or Du Feng. The guards, Liu Wei, Wang Shipeng, Sun Yue will penetrate whenever possible.

And you have to admit the defense is so much better....contained the Koreans to 2 points in 3Q for almost 8 minutes.

Last edited by pryuen on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:49 pm
Ball-handling skill could be a problem for him because he is a tall PG. With such a high centre of gravity, he could lose the ball easily. But he had a quick first step and burst of speed. That helps him to protect the ball. It appears the Korean strategy was to trap Liu and Zhu but not as much against Sun.

TorontoObserver wrote:
Judge wrote:
Unlike Liu, the kid can penetrate and drive to the basket. He also has a better vision of the court. His jumper has not yet blossomed, but he has height advantage over most PG. So, he can make his jumper. In future, he could learn some post-up games as well. In the meantime, he can use his speed and height to defend.

As evidenced in this game, once he and Yao defended the perimeter in the second quarter, China shut down Korea's 3-point shot completely. In the first quarter, Liu failed to do that and let Korea leading the game most of the time.

And he knows better how to pass -> Yao.

Based on what you saw, how is Sun ball handling skill? How about his speed? Any comments?

Thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:51 pm
nomad_balla wrote:
his size is not the problem.....tayshaun prince has a great post game...

the problem is that he doesn't have any moves downlow...it's not easy to post up cause when you post up, you need to be aware of the guy behind you and where your teammates are moving so you can kick it out when double teamed..he needs to practice that...it's not so much his size..even a guy like du feng is posting up.. i can't see why yi can't do it..he looks much bigger than before

Exactly and good example. Marus Camby comes to my mind too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 4321Location: Harvard MedJoined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:48 pm
sick sick sick. Yi has no moves, but he's got hops. :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:58 pm
Posts: 1565Location: San Diego & HangzhouJoined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:15 am
i think sun is a decent ball handler....he actually bends real low when he dribbles and that helps protect the ball....unlike zhu and liu who leaves the ball vulnerable so high.....but from watching him....he always go left...he needs to work on his right hand dribble to be complete

Judge wrote:
Ball-handling skill could be a problem for him because he is a tall PG. With such a high centre of gravity, he could lose the ball easily. But he had a quick first step and burst of speed. That helps him to protect the ball. It appears the Korean strategy was to trap Liu and Zhu but not as much against Sun.

TorontoObserver wrote:
Judge wrote:
Unlike Liu, the kid can penetrate and drive to the basket. He also has a better vision of the court. His jumper has not yet blossomed, but he has height advantage over most PG. So, he can make his jumper. In future, he could learn some post-up games as well. In the meantime, he can use his speed and height to defend.

As evidenced in this game, once he and Yao defended the perimeter in the second quarter, China shut down Korea's 3-point shot completely. In the first quarter, Liu failed to do that and let Korea leading the game most of the time.

And he knows better how to pass -> Yao.

Based on what you saw, how is Sun ball handling skill? How about his speed? Any comments?

Thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:02 pm
Observations:

1. Yi doesn't use his body well at all. Or maybe he doesn't have any upperbody strength. I think he should take the ball in when he is open than take all those jumpers. He doesn't have any power finishes. When he is around the basket (2/3 feet away), he doesn't extend his arm all the way up like the way duncan or Shaq does to just dump the ball into to hoop. Rather, he looks like he is shooting a jumper with his arm bented. If u have such a long wingspan, use it !!!. Why make yourself short by bending your arm.

2. Yi's release point is too low. Again making him short when he shots. If have study the way Garnet or Duncan shots, the ball is far abover their head, and with the flick of their wraist, the ball is out of their hands, making it impossible for opponents to block or even affect their shots. I think that is one reason why people like Carter and Prince don't shot high percentages, their shots are easily affected by opponents. These players depend on thier height/athleticism to get their shot off.

If u notice the way Jordon shoots througthout his career, from his Carolina days to his recent comebacks, his shot release point had gottin higher over the years, to the point where he shots the ball a foot over his head.

3. If your realease point is low, at least u should have a quick release, like Sabonis or Nash. But then his shot release is also slow: he cocks the ball back toward his head and holds the position before he shoots, kinda like Ewing. The other reason his shot release is slow is because his shot is position on his palm rather than on his fingers only.

It's not too late to change his shot. He should study how successful NBA players shot and experiment with different strokes. I notice that his shots were affectd by Ha when he tried to finish.

3. Ha Seung of Korea runs the floor very well for a guy his size, better than Yao i think. Plus he have a longer wingspan and jumps better than Yao. His lower body strength is far more surperior than Yi's. If he improves, I think he would be one of the top center in the NBA behind Yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:11 pm
Posts: 526Location: Beacon NYJoined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:33 am
karamazov wrote:
I am going to stick my neck out and predict a 84-65 win for China. Their best game of the tournament so far.

Please don't let me down.

What I am scared of is that idiot Korean injuring Yao on purpose.

How does 93-49 sound?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:12 pm
It definitely looks like Yao bulked up some.

Offline Profile