<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  FIBA ASIAN CHAMPIONSHIP Doha, Qatar Sep 8-16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:40 pm
pryuen wrote:
wireonfire wrote:
Joey85 wrote:
At the age of 20, Jalen Rose would have played extremely well against Argentina or any other international team he faced.

People forget too quickly. Some guy by the name Lebron James struggled a good deal against some international teams just last year. :?

And people kept forgetting that standard of US basketball is fastly declining.

If NOT
Argentina automatically qualifies for 2006 World Championship, USA would have been kicked out in the recently concluded FIBA Americas Championship.

Sporting a team of their best college/NBDL/Europe-based players, they lost to teams like Canada, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Brazil....
and just barely qualifies behind Argentina (6-1), Brazil (4-3), Panama (4-3) and Venezuela (4-3) with a record of (3 - 4).

Did you ever take in consideration the amount of time that was taken to choose and train a team of sub-par overseas American ballers? These guys had less than a month to choose a team and get ready for the tournament. They received all of their training during the pre-tournament in South America. If these players had been playing together as long as these other teams had, I'm sure the result would've been a lot different. Where was Scoonie Penn, Trajan Langdon, Maceo Baston, Anthony Parker, and Will Solomon? - the better overseas players. Tel Aviv Maccabi, known as the best team outside the US, contains some of the best overseas American players and none of them played for this USA team. I would try adding better overseas players and give them more time to train; then see how they do in next year's World Championship. Anthony Parker is supposedly the one of the top 5 players in the Euroleague. The USA has never tried keeping the same team longer than one summer; we've always just assembled them within a 2 week time period and thrown them out on the court against teams who've been playing together since the age of 14. Who knows how well this team would perform if given more time. When this team was hot, they beat Brasil (a team consisting of 4 NBA players); when they were cold, they lost to Puerto Rico.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:46 pm
Joey85 wrote:
pryuen wrote:
wireonfire wrote:
Joey85 wrote:
At the age of 20, Jalen Rose would have played extremely well against Argentina or any other international team he faced.

People forget too quickly. Some guy by the name Lebron James struggled a good deal against some international teams just last year. :?

And people kept forgetting that standard of US basketball is fastly declining.

If NOT
Argentina automatically qualifies for 2006 World Championship, USA would have been kicked out in the recently concluded FIBA Americas Championship.

Sporting a team of their best college/NBDL/Europe-based players, they lost to teams like Canada, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Brazil....
and just barely qualifies behind Argentina (6-1), Brazil (4-3), Panama (4-3) and Venezuela (4-3) with a record of (3 - 4).

Did you ever take in consideration the amount of time that was taken to choose and train a team of sub-par overseas American ballers? These guys had less than a month to choose a team and get ready for the tournament. They received all of their training during the pre-tournament in South America. If these players had been playing together as long as these other teams had, I'm sure the result would've been a lot different. Where was Scoonie Penn, Trajan Langdon, Maceo Baston, Anthony Parker, and Will Solomon? - the better overseas players. Tel Aviv Maccabi, known as the best team outside the US, contains some of the best overseas American players and none of them played for this USA team. I would try adding better overseas players and give them more time to train; then see how they do in next year's World Championship. Anthony Parker is supposedly the one of the top 5 players in the Euroleague. The USA has never tried keeping the same team longer than one summer; we've always just assembled them within a 2 week time period and thrown them out on the court against teams who've been playing together since the age of 14. Who knows how well this team would perform if given more time. When this team was hot, they beat Brasil (a team consisting of 4 NBA players); when they were cold, they lost to Puerto Rico.

So? we all know U.S. got a lot of good players.
it's not another countries fault if they are not patrioritic enough to sacrifice their time.
still consider this just 20 years ago non-nba players with the same condition you mentioned above can beat any team in the world, the same cannot be said anymore.

Dwell on that for a second.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:42 am
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
pryuen wrote:

The above is the stat sheet from sina.com which claimed that this is the official stats provided by FIBA.

But 15 minutes of play for Yao Ming ?? NO WAY.

He played much longer than that. He played the full 1Q. Got injured in 2Q after playing for 5 minutes or so. Started and played for a long stretch for 3Q (about 5 ~ 6 minutes) and 1 to 2 minutes for 4Q. He should have played some 22 ~ 25 minutes.

CORRECTION.....

I've watched the replay again.

Yao Ming played 2 full quarters in 1Q and 3Q. He was injured 5 minutes in 2Q, returned to court 1 minute before end of 1H, and played 1 and a half minutes in 4Q.

So he should have played 27 ~ 28 minutes. :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:22 am
I can live with yao's 15 pt outing. its good that his teammates are not relying on him too much. The perimeter shooting has been hot lately but it'd be great to see more cutting, penetration, and overall more off-the-ball movement. However, Yao's 3 rebound in 27-28 minutes is worrisome. I suppose that's partly due to his busted jaw, but was it more because he was pushed around by a stronger opponent?
I think Yao should start to adopt a more street ball mentality. instead of channelling his anger at the officials, he should take out his frustration on the court, call for the ball and show a determination to shove it down opponents' throat.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:17 am
tiefighter wrote:
Hi avolbert,

Can you tell me why doesn't Phillipine get invited to play in this tournament? I thought they are a basketball power.

thanks,

I would like to answer your question tiefighter while everyone just argues about meaningless stats difference and comparing a 20 year old chinese kid to an all-star NBA player...

The Philippines national team could not take part in the Asian championship as they are out of the coming FIBA-Asia Basketball championships in Doha, Qatar, as a result of a FIBA (International Basketball Federation) ban imposed on the country following the expulsion of the Basketball Association of the Philippines from the Philippine Olympic Committee.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:47 am
avolbert wrote:
karamazov wrote:
Korea lost to Qatar today by ~20points even with their NBA player. So they are definitely a team to watch out for.

Korea is yet to play Iran, who I suspect they will lose to. This means China will face Iran again in the semi-final and either Lebannon or Qatar in the final.

This Asian Championship has shown that alot of the middle east teams have improved by leaps and bounds. China is still ahead mostly because of Yao Ming. But it has to continue to improve otherwise it will be overtaken.

Korea is a great example, if they lose to Iran tomorrow, they won't even make it to the semi's and that means the World's. And this has been the easiest year to qualify because they are 3 spots for Asia plus 1 spot for host Japan.

According to FIBA:
After those 20 teams are determined, FIBA will have the difficult task to decide on the 4 remaining spots, which will be assigned as "wild cards". The FIBA Central Board which will meet on 26/27 November this year in Rome, Italy, will make the decision according to the following criteria:

In order to be invited the team must have participated in the FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship
There can be a maximum of three teams from any one FIBA Zone

Together with the above two criteria, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
- Popularity of basketball in the country
- Quality and sporting results of the national team of the country
- Quality of work of National Federation

Economic Aspects
- Involvement of local television and/or competitions in domestic and international basketball
- Importance of country to FIBA

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:33 am
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yao Ming has decided to sit out tonight's game with Saudi Arabia to get prepared for the semi final stage.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:58 am
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
82:8 china leadin saudi....

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:11 am
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
final score 98:10.....
yao didn't play

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:27 am
seiya wrote:
final score 98:10.....
yao didn't play

Well....China was like USA Dream Team playing against an amateur high school team tonight.

I can understand why Saudia Arabia can beat Malaysia, but surely don't understand how they beat Kuwait to get to this Final 8 stage.

I felt sorry about Chinese Taipei which is obviously notches above Saudia Arabia.

Looks like Saudia Arabia will start emulating Lebanon and Qatar to hire and naturalize expatriate players in order to raise their squad strength.

Offline Profile