<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  FIBA ASIAN CHAMPIONSHIP Doha, Qatar Sep 8-16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 1565Location: San Diego & HangzhouJoined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:15 am
tiefighter wrote:
fayg33 wrote:
I think you are a lil bias on Sun Yue, which is ok everyone has his/her own opinion. Anyway, like you said earlier if he was expect to get pass by 6 1 guards, how is he going to do well in the NBA when NBA guards are much faster than those 6 1 guard you are talking about. sorry if you feel that i am picking on you....

You can't have it both ways. Big point guards will always has this problem. Sun Yue doesn't get burned a lot this tournament. But that has more to do with the lesser quality of the opposing point guard in this tournament. He will probably get burned more frequently in the NBA.

there is a reason that big point guards are so rare in NBA (almost like once every 20 years).

But on the other hand, he will present the opposing team a nightly miss match just by his height alone. Being tall has so many adventages.

shawn bradley presents a missmatch for everyone every game...but the missmatch is the other way around...it's only a mismatch when you have scoring ability...and so far he hasn't proven he can score on a regular basis nor have we seen enough games of him just yet. you are only looking at his upside and not his weaknesses.....it's nice to have someone to get excited about but you got to be realistic.....that comment you made about jalen rose and comparison to penny hardaway who was once a top player in the league before his injuries....i was harsh to your comment because it totally came out cause you were so biased

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:08 pm
tiefighter wrote:
fayg33 wrote:
I think you are a lil bias on Sun Yue, which is ok everyone has his/her own opinion. Anyway, like you said earlier if he was expect to get pass by 6 1 guards, how is he going to do well in the NBA when NBA guards are much faster than those 6 1 guard you are talking about. sorry if you feel that i am picking on you....

You can't have it both ways. Big point guards will always has this problem. Sun Yue doesn't get burned a lot this tournament. But that has more to do with the lesser quality of the opposing point guard in this tournament. He will probably get burned more frequently in the NBA.

there is a reason that big point guards are so rare in NBA (almost like once every 20 years).

But on the other hand, he will present the opposing team a nightly miss match just by his height alone. Being tall has so many adventages.

shawn bradley presents a missmatch for everyone every game...but the missmatch is the other way around...it's only a mismatch when you have scoring ability...and so far he hasn't proven he can score on a regular basis nor have we seen enough games of him just yet. you are only looking at his upside and not his weaknesses.....it's nice to have someone to get excited about but you got to be realistic.....that comment you made about jalen rose and comparison to penny hardaway who was once a top player in the league before his injuries....i was harsh to your comment because it totally came out cause you were so biased

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:11 pm
wireonfire wrote:
Joey85 wrote:
At the age of 20, Jalen Rose would have played extremely well against Argentina or any other international team he faced.

People forget too quickly. Some guy by the name of Lebron James struggled a good deal against some international teams just last year. :?

Lebron didn't receive any playing time in the Olympics and has a terrible outside shot. Teams were leaving him alone on the perimeter, daring him to shoot - which he, unfortunately, did too often. They actually did this with every player on that team, and it worked; none of the USA players shot well from behind the arc. The only game where they made open shots was against Spain in the quarterfinals, which caused the poor-sport, Spanish coach to lose his mind and attack Larry Brown after the game. As I've said before, that USA team had no shooters. Allen Iverson is a scorer, not a shooter. Ray Allen or Michael Redd would've made a huge difference.

Jalen Rose had better ball-handling skills at the same age and - in my opinion - was a better shooter than Lebron. Lebron's definitely a better overall player - rebounding, passing, and scoring; however, I'd rather see a 20 year-old Jalen Rose playing the point than Lebron. Actually, Rose would've done just as well as Marbury did in the last Olympics. I'd actually rather have Chris Paul or Deron Williams out there on the court.

I'm not even a Jalen Rose fan, but I think it's silly to compare an inexperienced, 20 year-old CBA player to any NBA player at the same age. The NBA is just on a much higher level than you understand; it's a lot faster than any league in the world, and therefore more exciting. Even the college game is a lot faster than the Euroleague or CBA. Does this mean that Europeans and Chinese can't play in the NBA? No; but only a handleful will have the athleticism to do so. There are other factors - psychological and physical - that will keep even the most athletic players out of the NBA.

Last edited by Joey85 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:15 pm
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
wireonfire wrote:
Joey85 wrote:
At the age of 20, Jalen Rose would have played extremely well against Argentina or any other international team he faced.

People forget too quickly. Some guy by the name Lebron James struggled a good deal against some international teams just last year. :?

And people kept forgetting that standard of US basketball is fastly declining.

If NOT
Argentina automatically qualifies for 2006 World Championship, USA would have been kicked out in the recently concluded FIBA Americas Championship.

Sporting a team of their best college/NBDL/Europe-based players, they lost to teams like Canada, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Brazil....
and just barely qualifies behind Argentina (6-1), Brazil (4-3), Panama (4-3) and Venezuela (4-3) with a record of (3 - 4).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:27 pm
pryuen wrote:
wireonfire wrote:
Joey85 wrote:

People forget too quickly. Some guy by the name Lebron James struggled a good deal against some international teams just last year. :?

If NOT
Argentina automatically qualifies for 2006 World Championship, USA would have been kicked out in the recently concluded FIBA Americas Championship.

Sporting a team of their best college/NBDL/Europe-based players, they lost to teams like Canada, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Brazil....
and just barely qualifies behind Argentina (6-1), Brazil (4-3), Panama (4-3) and Venezuela (4-3) with a record of (3 - 4).

i don't believe that one bit.....only reason US lost is because they didn't put the right players out there...they just put an allstar team out there that doesn't know how to play with each other.....the best players are still from the states hands down....it's not a decline..it's just the other teams catching up..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
PHOTO GALLERY 1

PHOTO GALLERY 2

Well, 2 separate photo galleries.
1st one is match action on the 87 vs 73 win over Lebanon. 2nd one is on Yao Ming on the receiving end of having his jaw elbowed and to have to be benched for treatment. That elbow was so nasty that Yao Ming had to receive 4 stitches after the match.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:55 pm
Woah. this thread has reached 40 pages! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 7214Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
pryuen wrote:
wireonfire wrote:
Joey85 wrote:

If NOT

I think you are mistaken my friend. American basketball is not on the decline. Just because a couple of half-ass put together teams lost in 02 and 04 means nothing. Lets not forget the asswhippings the Team USA handed out in the qualifiers in 2003. You guys know them. The team with Kobe, Kidd, McGrady, and Jermaine O'Neal. I'm sorry, but a team with Lamar Odom and Stephon Marbury is no Dream Team.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:17 pm
A closer look at the severity of the injury and Yao Ming's blood print left on the table of the technical officials for non-call of the play before he left for the locker-room for treatment.

Yao cuts jaw in China's 87-73 win over Lebanon

www.chinaview.cn 2005-09-14 08:41:00

DOHA, QATAR, Sept. 14 (Xinhuanet) -- Pivot Yao Ming had his jaw cut and had four stitches in China's 87-73 victory over Lebanon on Tuesday at the Asian Basketball Championships for men here.

Ali Fakhreddine crashed down Yao and cut Yao's jaw with his flying elbow 5:10 minutes into the second half when China led by 34-23.

The angry Yao palmed down his blood onto the table of the technical officials for non-call of the play before he left for the locker-room.

The Houston Rockets center returned to the court-side with 1:32 left in the first half and came back to the game in the second half to help China secure a semi-final berth.

China led by 50-27 when Yao was absent in the first half and led as many as 24 points in the fourth quarter to keep the unbeaten record.

In the 2001 version of the tournament in Shanghai, China had a brawl with Lebanon with both teams were punished by FIBA. Yao and other two players of the current Chinese squad, Li Nan and Zhang Jinsong, competed in 2001.

"I don't think we should make fuss (of the affair). It's a basketball game, not a fight game," said forward Du Feng, who had 17 points for China.

Opening the game with a 5-0 start, China held Lebanon by only 11-out-of-42 in the field before leading all the way towards the victory.

In the other group of the top eight, Qatar crushed down South Korea 83-65 to finish atop in Group II

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:37 pm
Dudes let's not argue.

IF someone says Sun Yue is better than Jalen at the same age , let him keep his opinion.

IT cannot be proven one way or another.
the fact is a player needs to be really great to get to play in the NBA if you're not an american if two players are borderline NBA scrub talent
the American will be pick his understanding of the language , culture etc. will make more sense .

So yes Sun may not make the NBA the hassle of dealing with CBA officials will likely keep teams from wanting him.

Plus international style of play is different rules are different.

In the NBA Lebron is better than Ginobili , but in international ball Ginobili is better than Lebron for now.

Offline Profile