<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Smart People Choke Under Pressure

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:09 pm
Posts: 647Location: downtown chicagoJoined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:48 pm
daernoth wrote:
When i start using smiley faces or LOL faces thats usually the sign that im trying to lighten the mood and let the argument go. Only person ive used that on as a way of mockery is bblock.

As for everything else everything that was gonna be said was said. Yesterdays news. Peace.

edit: Actually that pic bblock uses of Yao Ming is a really ironic choice. Seems more like the pic a wide eyed, hopeful for the future, hero worshiping fan would use. Kinda tragic that someone could start like that and end up hating his hero. Bah now im the one with the psycho-babble. :wink:

Well your tone was clearly not mood-lightening, but smacked of condescension. And that still doesn't excuse your accusations of my misuse of vocabulary. Even here, while I try to concede a few things and soften the edge, I don't think you've conceded anything at all.

And why sneak in another shot at bblock? Peace? I don't buy it. I was hoping for a better sense of closure on this, but oh well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:17 pm
Jesus Christ you want to keep arguing?? And ill take however many shots at bblock or BZDD or whatever other troll as i want to. Dam! Think whatever you want. This just drags on and on and on. Its not like we have to be friends. Just drop the subject.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
daernoth wrote:
.....And ill take however many shots at bblock... as i want to. Dam! ....
daernoth follows the heredity of the Dr. Ross family. wof wof

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:33 pm
And here we are in the natural habitat of the board troll. Notice how this most strange creature roams from thread to thread looking for substenance... It is theorized that in real life board trolls are actually what is commonly named "black sheep". As dissapointments to their family they now live in basements where their parents can avoid looking at them while at the same time giving them the much needed refuge they would otherwise be unable to earn in real life. Keep in mind that though feisty their ability to express themselves in an argument is severely limited by their limited intelligence...

edit:cmon that was funny and insightful! :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:42 pm
Funny no one continued this silly debate after game 7...

Under extreme do or die pressure away from home...

Yao was the only one who played well while everyone else, including JVG, folded... (or a display of cowardice, as many of you would say)

imo Yao played even better than Dirk - over the entire series.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:27 pm
In game 7, sure Yao played well. But there was no pressure. The whole game was pretty much garbage time. Am I glad he played well? Of course. But his performance was pretty much irrrelevant, and the fact that it was during garbage time means we can't assign to much value to it. The fact that everybody else on the team sucked really just removed more presure.

Actually, some of this discussion was carried on in this thread:
http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... 4&start=10

Besides, these discussions will never stop until Yao stops disappearing ever few games. I'm so sick of all these "Where are all the haters now?" comments everytime Yao has one good game interspersed with pathetic ones.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:07 am
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
maguro wrote:
In game 7, sure Yao played well. But there was no pressure. The whole game was pretty much garbage time. Am I glad he played well? Of course. But his performance was pretty much irrrelevant, and the fact that it was during garbage time means we can't assign to much value to it. The fact that everybody else on the team sucked really just removed more presure.

Actually, some of this discussion was carried on in this thread:
http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... 4&start=10

Besides, these discussions will never stop until Yao stops disappearing ever few games. I'm so sick of all these "Where are all the haters now?" comments everytime Yao has one good game interspersed with pathetic ones.

So now that Yao played well, "there's no pressure"?

Game 7, a do or die game. his team is down by 20 to 30 points, AND THERE'S NO PRESSURE????

I'd say the temptation to just give up and give in is very strong during this game. But Yao went on to score 33 points, 10 rebounds and 5 blocks.

Since "there's no pressure", how come every one of Yao's teammates not named TMac totaled only 16 points????

I don't know, but it sure sounds like you're looking for excuses to support your claim that Yao can't play under pressure.

How about his 2 other 30 point games? I guess there was no pressure in those games too?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:54 am
Posts: 1110Location: new york cityJoined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:53 am
maguro wrote:
In game 7, sure Yao played well. But there was no pressure. The whole game was pretty much garbage time.

thats simply not true. this was still a very winnable game at half-time.

maguro wrote:
...Yao has one good game interspersed with pathetic ones.

i dont see what you based this comment on. other than game 6, i'd say Yao has been very consistent this series. what's inconsistent is the game calling by the officials. i'm not even talking about bad calls. that's been bad throughout(see game 5). i'm talking about what they allow from game to game. a good example is setting picks. one game, it has to be real tight. the next game, you can do more than just lean. this results in inconsistent PT for Yao from game to game. but w/o question, Yao's production is consistent when he gets PT and touches.

overall in this series(including game 6), Yao averaged > 21 pts, abt 70% FG, and maybe 2-3 blcks. thats phenomenal. 70% FG is very very very good. whats so unsatisfying abt that?

i hate to use cliche but i'll say it anyway. this is TMac's team. i say that because if TMac has a bad game, the Rox will probably lose that game. Yao doesnt affect the Rox that way yet. but in no way am I saying TMac is better player or the more important player. all i'm saying is TMac shoulders more responsibility. for example, when TMac has a bad game, he'll go for like 8/30. thats alot of damage the Rox cant overcome. when Yao has a bad game(game 6), he'll go for 3/8. The Rox can easily make that up(especially when theres a future HoF as a backup). when the Rox become Yao's team, the Rox will then be a champioship calibre team.

in your last few posts, maybe you're looking too hard into finding fault with Yao to defend your comments.

btw maguro, i dont consider you a troll, not even close. your posts are very insightful and i enjoy reading them. i hope you can post here more ofetn.

my 2 cts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:13 am
:?: where is NOLA
:?: At American

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:22 am
mikej230 wrote:
in your last few posts, maybe you're looking too hard into finding fault with Yao to defend your comments.

btw maguro, i dont consider you a troll, not even close. your posts are very insightful and i enjoy reading them. i hope you can post here more ofetn.

my 2 cts.

you're probably right, i have been hypercritical of yao. and i probably need to chill. :-)

guess i've just been frustrated with his inconsistency, and becoming tired of waiting for him to assert himself from game to game. i just want him to realize his potential -- by playing with more agression and more instinctiveness. and i probably will stay pretty frustrated until his numbers and performance become less volatile.

(and thanks for the compliment. you're one of the better posters on this forum yourself -- a true fan with a balanced perspective. better balanced than me lately).

Offline Profile