<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Playoff Game 6: Mavs @ Rox, Thursday May 5th, 9:30pm EST

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:08 pm
maguro wrote:
neodurdin wrote:
No kidding, did you see how he hugged Josh Howard in a latter play after the staredown? He should've smacked him down. Sura is defending Yao, pathetic. The big guys on your team are supposed to be the protectors.

Exactly. Esp. in the playoffs, there's no room for that nice guy, "it's all good, we're all friends, all is forgiven" bullsh*t. This guy tried to hurt you, and disrespected you. Maybe after the game it's fine if you want to drink tea with him or whatever. But not during the damn game. This speaks volumes about Yao's mental makeup.

You can talk platitudes about being the bigger man, blah blah blah. But the playoffs are a BATTLE. The bigger man is the guy who plays like a real big man. And who doesn't have his little guys defend him -- or show him how to play big.

give Yao a Donald Trump book or Jack Welch book. The NBA is a business. You've got to function that way. Yao has yet to understand that. Unfortubatley, the CBA is state owned so free market competition is squashed.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:09 pm
User avatarPosts: 948Location: Washington, DCJoined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:52 pm
so what do u want him to do in that situation? if yao gets into some kind of feud with any player that will affect his game(i think tonite it more or less did). yao is not that kind of guy who can shrug off any confrontation and keep playing good ball. at least not yet.

maguro wrote:
neodurdin wrote:
No kidding, did you see how he hugged Josh Howard in a latter play after the staredown? He should've smacked him down. Sura is defending Yao, pathetic. The big guys on your team are supposed to be the protectors.

Exactly. Esp. in the playoffs, there's no room for that nice guy, "it's all good, we're all friends, all is forgiven" bullsh*t. This guy tried to hurt you, and disrespected you. Maybe after the game it's fine if you want to drink tea with him or whatever. But not during the damn game. This speaks volumes about Yao's mental makeup.

You can talk platitudes about being the bigger man, blah blah blah. But the playoffs are a BATTLE. The bigger man is the guy who plays like a real big man. And who doesn't have his little guys defend him -- or show him how to play big.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:10 pm
Posts: 251Location: I love JVG!! =PJoined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:31 pm
Well actually on that play with Howard, Yao did show some emotion. He was walking towards him and Tmac kinda held him back and was smirking at Howard.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 948Location: Washington, DCJoined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:52 pm
chenlif wrote:
GoYao wrote:
Did y'all see Mavs coach flip out during the postgame interview?!? Funny stuff :lol:

Oh yeah I can now go to sleep a happy man...

Just watched it. He's lost his cool. Nobody even really mentioned the JVG gate thing he suddenly burst into a lengthy screaming and then stormed off. Man that was funny.

he later contradicts himself by saying he is not making any excuses LOL

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:12 pm
ZingyDNA wrote:
chenlif wrote:
GoYao wrote:
Did y'all see Mavs coach flip out during the postgame interview?!? Funny stuff :lol:

Oh yeah I can now go to sleep a happy man...

Just watched it. He's lost his cool. Nobody even really mentioned the JVG gate thing he suddenly burst into a lengthy screaming and then stormed off. Man that was funny.

he later contradicts himself by saying he is not making any excuses LOL

I know. What's more interesting is nobody asked Van Gundy anything about it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:14 pm
Posts: 363Location: North CalJoined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:52 am
harold wrote:
Finally, JVG has listened to my advice.

Yao is a great starter, scorer, low post threat. When he's got energy - he's great. Mutombo is a great rebounder, shot blocker and agitator...when he has fresh legs. In order to win GAME 7, JVG needs to take Yao out immediately when he's low on fuel and let Mutombo close it out.

This is the key to victory. If Rockets lose, it won't be because we were beaten by a better team, we lost because of improper substitutions. If JVG inserted Mutombo at the right time...Rockets would've won all 4 games!

Dude, you read my mind. Yao looked very flatfooted tonite. He had no energy. Great substitute by JVG. Look for Yao to tear Dallas apart on Sat.

I for one will avoid this game! I just get too pissed watching this series.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:16 pm
Posts: 261Location: New JerseyJoined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:56 pm
chinese_fob wrote:
give Yao a Donald Trump book or Jack Welch book. The NBA is a business. You've got to function that way. Yao has yet to understand that. Unfortubatley, the CBA is state owned so free market competition is squashed.

I read all the books by them. Is Jack Wesch still working on the book with his new wife? But I think it is better for everyone of us, including Yao, to read about Red Aubach and Bill Russell.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:20 pm
User avatarPosts: 4156Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 pm
nice win by Rox. don't disapoint Rox believers in game 7.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 58994Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Geeeeez close to 50 match photos from sina.com. Just pick out the major ones. For the rest you guys can go into the Photo Gallery link attached.

BOX SCORE

PHOTO GALLERY

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:23 pm
Posts: 647Location: downtown chicagoJoined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:48 pm
ZingyDNA wrote:
so what do u want him to do in that situation? if yao gets into some kind of feud with any player that will affect his game(i think tonite it more or less did). yao is not that kind of guy who can shrug off any confrontation and keep playing good ball. at least not yet.

JVGhater wrote:
Well actually on that play with Howard, Yao did show some emotion. He was walking towards him and Tmac kinda held him back and was smirking at Howard.

yao getting a little pissed right there was great -- so to answer zingy's question, that's what we all want him to do. but more importantly, what we want him to do is to make that reaction and emotion last -- to motivate him, fire him up, and turn it into something productive. incidents like that are a great catalyst to ignite great performances from great players.

but i guess yao's emotions have a really short half-life. he just let it decay into nothing. and thus -- like sir charles said -- he gave us nothing.

he should have been able to give us something, anything. if you can't convert on offense, be a defensive presence in the paint. or grab some rebounds. esp. in a game when your team desperately needs you.

but maybe barkley was wrong -- we did get something from yao: good sportsmanship.

i know some apologist will once again again blindly defend yao here: it's refreshing to see a genuinely nice guy with a good character, it's commendable that yao doesn't have to play dirty, blah blah blah.

the unfortunate reality is, this isn't a nice guy league. if you don't have some swagger and nastiness in you, you need to find another league more suited for you.

Offline Profile