<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  GAME 47 - HOSUTON ROCKETS @ PHILIDELPHIA 76ERS FEBRUARY 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:20 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Since I have beginner's luck on my first game thread against the Boston Celtics, might as well keep on creating this game thread for Rockets' match against the Philidelphia 76ers. :oops: :wink:

It is my humble wish that:

:arrow: T-Mac will recover from his aching back and be scoring around 25 ~ 30 points
:arrow: Bob Sura has realized his role player status and starts to pass assists to Yao Ming and his team mates as a genuine point guard instead of a shoot-first mentality
:arrow: Yao Ming will continue his current trend of at least 19 ppg/10 rpg (for the last 6 games)
Another player, either Jon Barry, Scott Padgett, or Juwan Howard can be the 3rd or 4th player other than T-Mac and Yao Ming to be contributing at 15 to 20 points
:arrow: Get a chair back from Philidelphia and be back on at least 5 games above 0.5

GAME PREVIEW

Houston (25-21) at Philadelphia (21-23)

Game Info: 7:00 pm EST Wed Feb 2, 2005
TV: FxSW, CSNt

The Philadelphia 76ers are in the worst division in the NBA and have a sub-.500 record, but they don't care as long as they are in first place.
Philadelphia looks to match its season-high winning streak at three, and snap a five-game losing streak to the Houston Rockets when the teams conclude their season series.

The Sixers beat the Indiana Pacers 89-88 on Monday night. Coupled with Houston's 97-94 win at Boston, Philadelphia moved one-half game ahead of the Celtics in the mediocre Atlantic Division.

``All we want to do is win the Atlantic,'' Sixers guard Allen Iverson said. ``We don't care about the records and how things are going. All we want to do is win the Atlantic.

``We win the Atlantic, that's third place. First round here, with this crowd and this environment, it can only be positive for us. So that's what we want to do.''

Kyle Korver made the go-ahead jumper with 6.5 seconds left, and Iverson returned from a three-game absence due to a shoulder injury to score 27 points in the win Monday night.

``You see a guy in his second year who's able to hit a big shot like that, it says a lot about him as a player,'' Iverson said. ``It says a lot about his confidence and the confidence the coaching staff and we have in him.''

Korver hit five 3-pointers and shot 6-for-9 overall to finish with 17 points. He has 126 3-pointers, fifth on the Sixers' single-season list. He sank at least four 3s for the 14th time this season.

``I sometimes feel like I'm in a real groove and that's how I felt tonight,'' Korver said. ``I felt like I shouldn't have missed many shots.''

The Sixers have lost five straight to the Rockets since a 112-106 overtime win at Philadelphia on Jan. 15, 2002.

Houston snapped a two-game losing streak with its victory Monday, getting a clutch performance from backup guard Jon Barry.

The Rockets blew a 16-point lead but rallied behind Barry, who scored 15 of his 17 points in the fourth quarter. Yao Ming had 23 points and Tracy McGrady scored 16, but he didn't attempt a field goal in the final quarter due in part to back trouble he blamed on the weather.

``In the second half we stayed mentally strong,'' Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy said. ``It was certainly a good one to grind out.''

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:35 pm
Posts: 146Location: Austin, TXJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:48 am
Just read the following from Houston Chronicle.
We need someone to shout at the guards too.

Quote:
Shaq says he's disappointed for Tomjanovich
By IRA WINDERMAN
Copyright 2005 South Florida Sun-Sentinel

DALLAS -- Shaquille O'Neal said he was disappointed to hear reports that Rudy Tomjanovich was on the verge of stepping down as Lakers coach.
ADVERTISEMENT

But the Heat center said he gave no thought to the potential for more turmoil on his former team.

"I'm not concerned with that organization," he said before tonight's game against the Mavericks.

O'Neal said he grew close to the coach after Tomjanovich's Rockets defeated O'Neal's Magic in the 1995 NBA Finals.

"I hope it's not health related, because he's a great guy," he said.

O'Neal said he respected how Tomjanovich insisted the Rockets get the ball to center Hakeem Olajuwon during that series, shouting at Houston's outside shooters to stop shooting.

"I was like, `I like him. I like that,'"' he said, having called Tomjanovich shortly after he was named Lakers coach.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
LOL !!! I think Shaquille O'Neal really hates LA Lakers and Kobe Bryant in particular.

I read this article in sina.com. A Chinese reporter reported about a response from Shaquille O'Neal when asked about his opinion of the prospects of Yao Ming joining LA Lakers.

Quote:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/s/2005-02-01/ ... 784s.shtml

Reporter: What if Yao Ming goes to Los Angeles?? Many people think he is the best candidate to fill up the void left by you there.

Shaq: Are you kidding me ? Tell Yao. Never ever play alongside with that guy (Kobe Bryant); otherwise he will self-destruct himself. Tracy McGrady is the best guard in the league, and Yao Ming and T-Mac will sooner or later become the most formidable partnership. As of now, of course it is the Superman and the Flash !!!"

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:35 pm
pryuen wrote:
LOL !!! I think Shaquille O'Neal really hates LA Lakers and Kobe Bryant in particular.

Yea, it's pretty obvious. :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:01 am
User avatarPosts: 2347Location: HKJoined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:48 pm
haha, shaq's quotes are so interesting

i just hope his recognition on T mac is true

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:35 am
Posts: 769Location: New YorkJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:59 am
I have no doubt about Tmac and Yao being the best of their positions and dominating the game. It's a matter of time.

zass17 wrote:
haha, shaq's quotes are so interesting

i just hope his recognition on T mac is true

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:41 am
E.A.G.L.E.S!!!

GOOOOO
EAGLES!!!!!! :shock: :D :) :lol: :o !!!!!

I wish i could attend this game... i really really really wanna see the answer squaring off against M&M. I could get good seats at a decent price too. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:09 am
i see AI lighting us up, but we get the win.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:58 am
User avatarPosts: 1577Location: EarthJoined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:39 pm
might be a tough matchup for Yao, Samuel Dalembert play good D. I still think Yao going to have a good game 22 and 11 with 3blks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 4156Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 pm
thanks for all the articles. Rox should pocket this win easily.

Offline Profile