<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  POST MATCH FEELINGS OF YAO MING

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:22 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
OKAY !!! The same reporter filed back a post match report from the locker room after the emphatic win of the Rockets over the Mavericks !!! :oops: :wink:

Not even a single word of encouragement or mentioning of Yao Ming from JVG !!! :twisted:

In the evening of January 12 (US local time), under the leadership of Tracy McGrady, with various scoring opitons all over the places, the Houston Rockets scored a rare but emphatic 124 ~ 114 away win over the Dallas Mavericks, and slapped their winning streak of 5 on their home court.

It was the first win for Yao Ming after 6 visits to Dallas. He was naturally elated afterwards. Yao Ming said: "Tonight the match was just a very crisp (爽) one, to counter-attack in 3Q after falling behind by half time, and it was so comfortable and relaxed that we were making all our shots. I was extremely exhausted after that difficult match in Denver, but tonight, I just felt that we were attacking on every weak spots of the Mavericks." After their previous defeat on the hands of the Mavericks, Yao Ming had commented that was an excellent game, and their biggest reward was gaining back their confidence. Relative to that match, Yao Ming thought the significance of this win tonight was snatching another win.

This was not only Yao Ming's first win in Dallas; it was also Tracy McGrady's first taste of victory in Dallas (after joining the Rockets). A reporter asked T-Mac whether he felt it was easier to win in Dallas than before. He did not get a straight answer. T-Mac just said: "I really don't know; this is my first win here."

Besides T-Mac and Yao Ming, the Rockets finally discovered their 3rd and 4th scoring options; Juswan Howard and David Wesley scored 29 points and 21 points respectively, and particularly, Juswan Howard was shooting 14 out of 19. When asked whether that was the main reason for the win, Yao Ming replied: "Actually all my team mates have such capabilities all these while, and they just waited for their time to score; tonight we have created opportunities for them, and they just (gleefully) did what they did good." He further supplemented: "Tonight Tracy was just brilliant in his penetrations and breakthroughs, and Juswan was just outstanding. We have so many scoring options that made it virtually impossible for the Mavericks to guard against us." 防不胜防

Yao Ming successfully contained Erick Dampier, the self-proclaimed #2 best centre in the entire NBA in this match, limiting him to only 6 points, and qucikly drew 3 fouls from him thus severely cut short his playing minutes. Regarding this, Yao Ming was not too excited. He said: "Actually our focus (of defense) was not on Dampier; he is not the nucleus of Maverick's offense; instead Nowitzki, their nucleus in offense, was our target tonight. Therefore there is nothing for me to boast about (on containing Dampier). Dampier is still an extremely outstanding player, a big help to Mavericks. You see he played fiercely and physical against me. I chose not to confront him with toughness (硬碰硬), but rather with skills (tricks); he was then ineffective, and the referee insteads of calling fouls on me, had to call fouls on him."

Some reporters remembered once Yao Ming said they would require sort of a miracle to beat the Mavericks; so they asked whether he counted tonight's win a miracle. Yao Ming replied: "Well if we can play like what we played tonight, then everyday will be a miracle. When there are more occurences of such miracles, then they will no longer be miracles. Our goal is to turn them into no miracles." Yao Ming's humour triggered a round of laughters (from the reporters).

Tracy McGrady also found this win crisply; he was wearing broad smiles on his face when interviewed by the reporters after taking his shower. "We were falling behind by first half; we made some slight adjustment in the second half. While trying to contain Nowitzki as much as possible, we raised the tempo of the game. Though I had an injury on my toe, I just kept telling myself, as long as I kept my self-confience and shooting, basically they can do nothing about me. Moreover, Juswan Howard's performance tonight was just incredible; looks like you just pass him the ball, and he can score in whatever positions." Some reporters asked T-Mac whether that 13 points within 35 seconds in the win over the San Antonio Spurs was the turning point for him for this season, McGrady said: "You can't say that."

After the match, Jeff Van Gundy said: "We now play much faster, and pass our ball well too. Our field goal percentage reached 62% tonight; that was a feat almost impossible to repeat. Juswan Howard and Tracy McGrady were just outstanding in the 3rd quarter. Even though Tracy was injured, he did not lose his form, and fully displayed his leadership. And David Wesley was performing consistently ever since he joined us."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 1190Location: Discount Lion Safari!Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:31 pm
Thanks pryuen but its Juwan. Not 'Juswan', Just Two or Just Three.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:09 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
This is the article that I promised, about Yao Ming still with a few coughs and has lost his weight after the flu. :oops: :wink:

Room # 324 of the Crenscent Court Hotels and Apartments in Dallas downtown. This is the only room on the entire third floor that still has lights. Yao Ming is somewhat lonely. He has accustomed to such loneliness when the Rockets are on the road.

Lying on his kingsize bed, he has a notebook resting on his laps, and the TV is on broadcasting a NCAA league game. Before every of the away game, Yao Ming usually spends his night like this, playing games on his computer or watching the TV, just to kill time. Like any of those away games, the Rockets has blocked the entire third floor, but everyone has gone out.

"Who will stay in the room this early ??"

His 2.26 meter stature has brought him fame and fortune, but at the same time has deprived him of his personal freedom.

"Each person has his/her own life style. This is my choice. You can't evade but you can only face up with it." For 2 years, Yao Ming has already learned how to deal with loneliness.

Take away his height and basketball, Yao Ming is no different to other young persons. He likes history very much. As a boy sitting in the library of the Shanghai Sports Academy, he once fantasized to become a historian (when he grew up).

Each time the team travelled to play in Washington, Yao Ming had yearned to visit the Capitol Hill or the American museums.

"Every time I am prepared to go, but I have to give it up at last minute. I am just too big a target. I know Liu Xiang is not much better off than me, but then, he could wear his hat low, put on sun glasses, and he still can go out. Can I do that ??" Yao Ming fondly remembers his Shanghai compatriot Liu Xiang.

Last year, when the team travelled to Washington to play with the Wizards, accompanied by Coline Pine, Yao Ming finally took a visit to the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial; it was the first time in 3 years for such "free" trips. "(I remembered) it was snowing heavily outside when I woke up that morning. So I thought with that heavy snow and it was so early, then maybe there would not be too many tourists/vistors. So I called up Coline, and we went out together." Yao Ming was all-smiling when he recalled the incident.

Well there is nothing worthwhile to visit in Dallas; no scenic spots or historical sites, and it is not snowing. And worst still, even though the bed is already a king size bed, but Yao Ming has to put his 2 big feet onto a stool by the bed side. "Have to deal with this; anyway, it is just one night." He said with a few dry coughs, which he did not pay much attention to.

Yao Ming got an influenza/high fever 2 weeks ago. His record of 193 consecutive NBA games halted. His coughing has not stopped until now. "This is the first time in 2 years that I am sick. Just too tired and exhausted." Yao Ming thinks the influenza was the result of over-exhaustion/tiredness. "Do you know I have dropped 12 lbs because of this flu ??" Yao Ming feels his ability to fend off his offenders has been impacted by this drop of weight. So other than shoot-out practice and competitions, the priority in these few days has been trying to gain weight (as soon as possible).

"Well it is so simple to gain weight; just increase the strength and power training and eat more every day. Very simple eh ?" In order to gain weight quickly, Yao Ming has had big appetite these days. Just before his interview with the reporter, he just devoured 9 chicken McNuggets, a cup of mashed potato salad, a full dish of Italian spaghetti. But after three hours, Yao Ming started to feel hungry again. So he pressed button for room service.

"I don't care whether it is just fat or muscle. Just get back my weight first." After an hour, the room service arrived: another dish of spaghetti, a bowl of chicken bouillon, a cup of vanilla ice cream; just like whirlwind, everything was devoured in minutes.

"I have to eat more. Tomorrow, I have to play against Erick Dampier. The fellow is so strong. How can I not eat more (to gain my weight back) ??" Yao Ming smiled cunningly. After finishing his room services, he went back to his computer game world on the bed.

The background music of "The Romance of Three Kingdom 10" was very soon reverberating in Room 324. It was 10 O'clock. The reporter was leaving the hotel, and bumped into Juwan Howard and Andre Barrett in the hotel lobby. Howard in his tie and suit had just returned, while Barrett was just going out with a group of friends.

"Light represents hope, and sometimes also represents loneliness". This was how Yao Ming described the only lamplight from his room in the entire empty third floor.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:32 am
pryuen wrote:

"Well it is so simple to gain weight; just increase the strength and power training and eat more every day. Very simple eh ?" In order to gain weight quickly, Yao Ming has had big appetite these days. Just before his interview with the reporter, he just devoured 9 chicken McNuggets, a cup of mashed potato salad, a full dish of Italian spaghetti. But after three hours, Yao Ming started to feel hungry again. So he pressed button for room service.

He should not be eating McDonalds! It is so unhealthy, no wonder his staminia is so bad lol...he should be eating healthier...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:45 am
Herb wrote:
He should not be eating McDonalds! It is so unhealthy, no wonder his staminia is so bad lol...he should be eating healthier...

Well....maybe I made a mistake in my translation !!! In the article it said something like fried chicken nuggets. Maybe McNuggets or maybe from KFC or just ordinary fried chicken nuggets !!! :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:14 pm
An article on Yao Ming's post match feelings on his sub-par performance in the overtime win over New Jersey Nets !! :P :oops: :wink:

5 minutes had passed; 10 minutes had passed; 20 minutes had passed. Yao Ming, who used to entertain (post-match) interviews after a quick shower, uncharacterically kept the reporters waiting anxiously after the New Jersey Nets game. Everybody saw an elated Bob Sura after scoring (his career highest) 35 points, a cursing Tracy McGrady complaining about the pain on his injured leg, David Wesley yelling about victory celebration with Budweiser, but Yao Ming was just nowhere to be found.

The evening of January 13 (US Local time). The Rockets finally overcame the New Jersey Nets 94 ~ 85 in over time with great difficulty on their home court. However, the star of this game was definitely not Yao Ming. Although the Houston weather turned better, it was a cold front for Yao Ming; he was scoreless but with 4 turnovers/3 personal fouls in the first half. No wonder he was just like a boy who did wrong, but had been forgiven (by his parent); he just hide away to be on his own, bitterly introspecting/self-reproaching about what had gone wrong.

That 20-minute waiting process was painstakingly long. Everybody only knew that Yao Ming had gone to the gymnasium for weight-lifting, but nobody knew for sure what he had done or what he had said. But when he finally went out of the gym and arrived (for the interview), everyone was totally surprised to see a broad smiling face as well as a joke from him: "Well I can save some gasoline (for my car), and need not come tomorrow (for the weight-lifting) as I have finished my weight-lifting exercise tonight."

Amidst an uproar of laughter, the suspense in the air had sort of dispersed all of a sudden, but doubts still lingered. Despite playing with an injured left leg, Tracy McGrady endured great pains, scored 18 points, and was easily forgiven; his hero image was intact. But did Yao Ming have sufficient reasons for just scoring 6 points ?

When the focal point of all the camera flashlights was not Yao Ming, and there were no clustering microphones in front of him (for interview), what exactly Yao Ming felt? Some reporters tried to rationalize the situation like this: it was good signs that a team had matured when the team's overall performance level was not affected if its star player(s) under-performed.

Yao Ming obviously did not want to use this as an excuse to forgive himself. "As the leader of the team, you cannot always count on the others." Yao Ming said. He was trying very hard to hide away his disappointment and sadness by vigorously putting on mischievous facial expressions, but it was so obvious from his eyes (that he was bitterly sad and disappointed). "If I have played normally, we could have won easily. At least we did not need to play over time, if I had not missed those 2 free throws."

Yao Ming had tied his lowest score of the season in this game; Jeff Van Gundy called the win "a win from pure luck"; Tracy McGrady described his own mood as "sh!tty", but at least everybody on the team received gifts from the old veteran Charlie Ward.

Charlie Ward, still on the IRL, sent everybody a paper bag full of books, CDs, DVDs, and on Tracy McGrady's chair, there was a personal letter from Charlie Ward. The team might have won or lost; the players might have performed or under-performed; but all these were no longer important at this moment with love and concerns from other team mates.

Before going home, Yao Ming quipped some philosophical words that might have different interpretations: "You may say I am still a child. Therefore I don't understand what is sadness and what is happiness." You can feel relieved to see in his eyes dauntless fearlessness.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:51 pm
Good that Yao plays Romance of Three Kingdoms 10 instead of some addictive game like World of Warcraft (well rotk series is pretty addictive too)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 1045Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:37 pm
I love yao and all, but when will he consider himself to be a man. I'm getting tired of all the analogies of him as a kid...I mean he's 24 already.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:23 pm
LAYAOFan wrote:
I love yao and all, but when will he consider himself to be a man. I'm getting tired of all the analogies of him as a kid...I mean he's 24 already.

So the reporter was right !!! It is just different intepretations from different people. :roll:

IMHO, all Yao Ming said was simply that he won't let any setbacks affect him, just like a child who does not know how to differentiate sadness vs happiness. :oops: :wink:

Quote:
Yao Ming quipped some philosophical words that might have different interpretations: "You may say I am still a child. Therefore I don't understand what is sadness and what is happiness."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 1045Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:37 pm
I just want to reiterate my thanks to Pryuen for his always prompt translations of these Sina articles.

I have to say I don't like to use this board as a discussion of the Rox and Yao's play because, quite frankly, there are a lot of morons here and I find it very difficult to have an honest, intelligent discussion without someone saying "Yao sucks, he is soft and weak and should be traded for Chris Mihm."

However, Pry's translations of these articles offer an inside look at Yao that cannot be had elsewhere.

Cheers!

Offline Profile