<  Non-Yao stuff  ~  Shangchi---Marvel Asian Superhero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:50 pm
China ban movies for many reasons.

They ban winnie the poh for looking too much like Xi, LoL

For Marvel, the Avengers films did very well in China. Ban could be to help local movies from some fierce competition.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 4889Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
directshoot wrote:
And for Chinese audience, because they already have TOO MUCH dimsum(too much kungfu movies), they would think this one is not AUTHENTIC enough. So they don't have much interest to watch it also. That's how they predict the final box office I guess.

The biggest and only winner of this movie is Simu Liu. He's on the way to become the next Jacky Chan and the new celebrity representing Asian/Chinese Americans/Canadians after Jeremy Lin. All others like Akwafina, Zhang Meng-er, Tony Leung, Michelle Young, Bennth Wong, Ronnie Chieng are serving for the rise of this guy.

I'm trying to understand the Chinese audience here. Chinese are willing to watch white actors in Halloween costumes doing CGI action scenes, but are reluctant to watch the first ever Asian marvel movie?

How many good martial arts movies actually come out of China(not HK) besides Couching Tiger Hidden Dragon? I can't think of any in the past decade.

Anyways, this will be a loss for the Chinese movie goers. What else they get to watch in September? some movie that makes the communists look good?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:02 am
Awkwafina was on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night, and Simu AKA Shangchi will be there tonight too. They two are definitely at the next level of greatness already. Simu was on Clarkson show when the first trailer was released and even invited to participate in a talk with Hillary Clinton.

^ I just found that Ben Kingsley aka Mandarin is returning in Shangchi. He's the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 and the movie was pretty successful in terms of revenue in China back in 2016. That means Chinese audience have no problem accepting the role of Mandarin. So this time Wen Wu by Tony Leung should be fine as well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:11 pm
From what I been hearing Wenwu is not considered your typical villian, but more of a misunderstood father.

People may actually become a fan of Tony Leung after the movie. So why is China still banning the movie? I'm sure Chinese movie theatres get a cut of the revenues.

But, I guess it's the people at the top, with their cushy jobs, who makes these decisions.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:39 am
The wait is finally over! The reviews so far are very good. It seems like gonna be a top 10 Marvel movies. Exactly an Asian version of BP. Gonna watch it soon.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:53 pm
I watched Shang Chi. It's better than Black Widow.

Action scenes were top notch. Tony Leung "Wenwu" caused alot of trouble, but ended up a hero.

Theatre was packed in my predominantly rich Asian neighborhood in USA. although Shang Chi isn't expected to make more money than Black Widow.

China is missing out. All future movies will have lower budget, less quality.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:02 am
Just came back from the theater. Definitely great movie. Another blockbuster and big win for marvel. Hugely entertaining . It’s as good as black panther.

Shangchi original storyline is about revenge and blood for blood. Much more serious than other marvel themes.However, the emotions are diluted to the minimum because of his girlfriend Kathy aka awkwafina. I guess that’s on purpose. Also Mandarin aka wenwu his father is much less evil than the original. Basically just a powerful guy losing mind for his beautiful wife. Shangchi himself has a funny character as well. So it’s become a popcorn movie but still deep with emotions. Best marvel movie since the winter solider

The only little regret for me is simu Liu’s outlook. Man the face only deserves parking cars. I know Jackie Chan is also not good looking but shangchi to me is very handsome guy whose face is at least at the level of Donnie yen. Come on, he’s a comic book super hero.

^it’s already making history by breaking record of Labor Day sales of ANY movie, and it’s three times more. Actually this movie is very hard to fail. You got Michelle yeoh the female Jackie Chan, tony Leung best actor in HK even China, awkwafina the best Chinese/ Asian American actress, fala Chan very good actress in HK, etc. this is a dream cast like the new Lakers

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:51 am
Katy (Awkwafina) is not Shang Chi's girlfriend. Conservative Asians need to know males and females can be friends. I have many female friends. I do not want to marry all of them.

Simu Liu does not fit the mold of a good looking guy from a mainlander Chinese POV. Simu does not look effeminate enough. They like tall, skinny, weak guys. He doesn't have the double eyelids nor the white guy features and his skin is not pale white enough. He also has muscles -- which to Chinese girls will mistakenly think he is a farmer. I seen all the Chinese men in C-Dramas... do they ever go outside?

Shang Chi seems to be doing well in the box office... better than expected. Not at the level of Black Panther, but the movie should shatter all previous records for movies debuting on Labor Day weekend (even pre-covid). Shang Chi could potentially make as much money as Black Widow -- which to everyone will be a big surprise.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:17 am
yaominginfohere wrote:
Katy (Awkwafina) is not Shang Chi's girlfriend. Conservative Asians need to know males and females can be friends. I have many female friends. I do not want to marry all of them.

Simu Liu does not fit the mold of a good looking guy from a mainlander Chinese POV. Simu does not look effeminate enough. They like tall, skinny, weak guys. He doesn't have the double eyelids nor the white guy features and his skin is not pale white enough. He also has muscles -- which to Chinese girls will mistakenly think he is a farmer. I seen all the Chinese men in C-Dramas... do they ever go outside?

Shang Chi seems to be doing well in the box office... better than expected. Not at the level of Black Panther, but the movie should shatter all previous records for movies debuting on Labor Day weekend (even pre-covid). Shang Chi could potentially make as much money as Black Widow -- which to everyone will be a big surprise.

They met their parents and talked about marriage already, so it’s even beyond girlfriend,more like PARTNER. Partner is being together for very long time, in this case for ten years, but haven’t married yet, or just don’t want to marry.

Simu is definitely hot, even cool, but not handsome enough. In Chinese traditional culture, handsomeness is a little bit effeminate or weak, but charming like wenwu tony Leung. Don’t have to be very muscular, but need a long, slim and pale face,and usually tall. Because only rich people or elite nobles can be called handsome, who are sometimes vulnerable. Hot cool guys are usually farmers or soilders who have no problems ****** girls. Like in the musical Hamilton, Hamilton is cool, but only the king Henry is handsome.

Shangchi personally is supposed to be as handsome as wenwu because after all he’s his successor. Actually he’s one of the most elite/rich superheroes in mcu or DC. Kinda like Batman or Ironman the billionaires. Remember his pet is the dragon.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:24 pm
PARTNERS are a male and female who are not married, but live together, kiss, have sex, raise their kids together. Shang Chi and Katy are definitely not partners.

The Chinese government just made it illegal to hire "foreign" actors for Chinese movies. It's no wonder why China movies are not shown outside of China.

I feel China is becoming more isolationist. Maybe from backlash of the "China virus". But China can't go global with laws like that.

Offline Profile