<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao plays down hero status

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 1991Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:55 pm
I really shouldn't post other news articles here, particularly if they're not news at all, but considering the shortage of news here, even something like this should be posted.

Quote:
Yao plays down hero status

Saturday, September 6, 2003 Posted: 12:23 AM EDT (0423 GMT)

"I'm just one of 1.3 billion Chinese," Yao says of his superstar status.

HONG KONG, China (CNN) -- Since joining the U.S. National Basketball Association last year, the seven foot five (2.2-meter) Yao Ming has become China's tallest ambassador.

But that doesn't make it any easier to have the hopes and expectations of a billion people resting on your shoulders.

"I don't think he's yet in Shaq's category," NBA Commissioner David Stern says, referring to basketball megastar Shaquille O'Neal.

All that the experts will tell you is that given a couple of years, there will be no doubt that Houston made a good choice in selecting him as the first pick of the NBA draft.

When the Chinese government agreed to let Yao Ming go to United States and play in the NBA, the Houston Rockets gave him $17 million.

They pinned their hopes on his enormous frame, but his first few games in Texas were dismal.

Then he settled in, scoring career highs, blocking shots against some of the leagues best.

"Rookies don't usually make it as big as he has in his first year," Stern says.

Yao grew up in Shanghai with his parents -- both well over six feet tall and former basketball stars in the Chinese national team.

"When Yao was young, we did not notice any special talent," his father Yao Zhi Yuan says.

Yao has been a huge commercial success since his NBA signing.

"But when he first touched a basketball and really got into serious training, you could almost immediately see he had an instinct."

In October, Yao's dreams came true when he was given permission by the government to leave China.

But apart from the culture shock, he was under enormous pressure to excel in his game.

"When I started playing in the 'A' level games it was kind of like entering a war," he says.

It was also to difficult to gain acceptance from his teammates.

"The only way to survive is to train very hard, to play very hard.

"That's the only way to be accepted by the other team players and the public -- you know, to prove myself."

Yao has had to make other sacrifices under the spotlight.

Mobbed: Yao is a popular visitor to Hong Kong.

"I'm always being watched by other people, and bombarded with questions, especially when I go out, so I don't really have the kind of freedom to just, you know, wander around the streets."

With the weight of the NBA and China on his shoulders, Yao is forced to focus on his game.

"I think of those pressures or expectations as my support, so when I'm on the basketball court, I just think about playing the game and nothing else.

Yao's hero status at home reached new heights after he raised $300,000 to help fight SARS in China.

Teased as a child about his height, to many Yao symbolizes China in the 21st century, but Yao is modest about his star status.

"I'm just one of the 1.3 billion Chinese," he says, adding that what he is concentrating on now, is keeping ahead of the game.

"Competition in the U.S. is just so fierce. And what it does is remind me that I have to work really hard everyday from morning to night."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SPORT/09/05/yaoming/

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Sinobball

BRAVO !!!!!ImageImageImageImageImage

KEEP THOSE YAO NEWS/ARTICLES/PHOTOS FLOWING IN !!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 4156Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pryuen, you seem like dai lo of sinobball.
you always there on every sinobball's posted thread.
way to go sinobball!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:24 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Sinobball

Well, the fact is I like reading most of Sinobball's posts !!!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:36 am
pryuen wrote:
Sinobball

Well, the fact is I like reading most of Sinobball's posts !!!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

are you guys touching each other?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:20 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
Shut up, Maldini. If it wasn't for their hard work, there'd be no Yao news at all and you know it. What's going on here? Where are all the creeps coming from? :?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:39 am
User avatarPosts: 3504Location: LIU XIANG'S COUNTRYJoined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:11 pm
xraymom wrote:
Shut up, Maldini. If it wasn't for their hard work, there'd be no Yao news at all and you know it. What's going on here? Where are all the creeps coming from? :?

If i remembered correctly, Maldini was one of those dumb ***** who got a smack down from their Cao daddy way back in the days. So I guess he finally gained enough self confidence to come back here again

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:01 am
User avatarPosts: 657Location: USAJoined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:12 am
Let's collectively ignore these negative posts.

XRayMom, Yao (in the Pepsi picture above) is looking straight at you. :) No wonder you have a crush on him. Lucky girl.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:46 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
Yeah, well, what can I say? :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:18 am
xraymom wrote:
Yeah, well, what can I say? :oops:

Yao is your sweetie candy. :D :D

Offline Profile