<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  yao in america: good or bad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 am
Posts: 326Location: bayareasfJoined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:34 pm
how do you guys feel about yao doing adapting to more of america's ethnic such as personality wise, activity wise, business wise, and mentally wise. hes become more vocal, learned about how americans function good or bad. how out here, its more like a jungle with competition and nothings friendly. yet, he takes it like a man even though some of it seems like its very different from china's values, competition, way of talk, way of act, etc. i dont think yao can go back to his old ways of being the humble, soft touched man he was raised because he knows what it really takes for him to succeed in the world. would you consider this a bad thing cause kids are watching and will emulate his actions.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 1124Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:48 pm
I dont know if this is gong to offend anyone, but Yao Ming is the only Chinese guy I saw that plays sports, I got an Asian guy on my intramural team but he says he's from Swizerland so I'm not sure if he's Chinese. Most Chinese people I see over here wear thick glasses and loook at computers all day like Pry.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
buzzku wrote:
I dont know if this is gong to offend anyone, but Yao Ming is the only Chinese guy I saw that plays sports, I got an Asian guy on my intramural team but he says he's from Swizerland so I'm not sure if he's Chinese. Most Chinese people I see over here wear thick glasses and loook at computers all day like Pry.

YES, that is an offense, DEFINITELY. :roll:

ALL I can say Buzz you're just so shallow, and has not seen China much.........
There are so many young and old Chinese, men and women, engaged in sports, be it soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, squash, tennis, table-tennis, snooker, gymnastics, bowling, swimming, Wushu, Taichi, track and field, you-name-it, as a profession or pastime here in this part of the world.

You are the ONE that sit all day in your home without a real feel of the outside world.
:roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 1124Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:48 pm
pryuen wrote:
buzzku wrote:

YES, that is an offense, DEFINITELY. :roll:

ALL I can say Buzz you're just so shallow, and has not seen China much.........
There are so many young and old Chinese, men and women, engaged in sports, be it soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, squash, tennis, table-tennis, snooker, gymnastics, bowling, swimming, Wushu, Taichi, track and field, you-name-it, as a profession or pastime here in this part of the world.

You are the ONE that sit all day in your home without a real feel of the outside world.
:roll:

Of couse i have not seen china much i havbe not been to china but this topic si about america,i bet i have seen more america than you, and i say what i see, unlike you who sit in front of a computer and think you know the whole world.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
jungle wrote:
how do you guys feel about yao doing adapting to more of america's ethnic such as personality wise, activity wise, business wise, and mentally wise. hes become more vocal, learned about how americans function good or bad. how out here, its more like a jungle with competition and nothings friendly. yet, he takes it like a man even though some of it seems like its very different from china's values, competition, way of talk, way of act, etc. i dont think yao can go back to his old ways of being the humble, soft touched man he was raised because he knows what it really takes for him to succeed in the world. would you consider this a bad thing cause kids are watching and will emulate his actions.

I beg to differ. :roll:

He is as humble and good-tempered as ever; he treasures and cherishes friendship; he is loyal to his friends, team and country; he put team/country above ego/individual; he diligently plays in NBA and serves his country well in international competitions; he still did things that not every multi-billionaire cares to do for his country and people; he leads by examples by the many off-court activities he did: international spokesperson for his home city, Shanghai, actively support Special Olympics, HIV/AIDS program in China, spokesperson for China Marrow Donor Program (CMDP) of Red Cross Society of China.

And if you watch the following video, you'll get a feel of his social and economic IMPACT to China.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9002277/TNT_ ... fe.com.avi

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:16 pm
buzzku wrote:

I agree with Pry, your comments were lame but it has some truth to it. Mainly because chinese you probably meet in the US are here to study not play bball with americans. Out of more than 1 billion people only the smartest and i guess "geekiest" are able to get scholarships. Its changing though now that ppl are getting richer there, "cool" guys as according to your definition, will also be able to study here. This also applies to people from India.

Anyways, its all perception. Lot of young americans (ugly in my opinion) in asia ere poor english teachers who go around looking to hook up with local girls, coz girls back home didnt give them the time of the day. Does this generalization apply to all americans? Nope.

Last edited by Rockza on Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:01 pm
User avatarPosts: 291Location: NYCJoined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:13 pm
jungle wrote:

Underneath, I think Yao's competitiveness and the desire to win would be the most admirable 8) for the kids as they look up the big man. Whether using "american ethic" as you termed it, or by his humble manner would only be his own adaptation to different environment. I would think kids today are getting smarter so they can tell, just think about Britney Spears' "I did it again", or MJ's moonwalk being played in a Beijing local music store :wink:

Besides, Yao is only one of the *star* athletes who compete in the best sport leagues. There are other Chinese sports stars, such as SUN in the British top profession soccer/football series, another plays for a German soccer club. It also goes the other way, the British & Swedisn best table tennis players all play in the China "super-league".

And Buzz Off :twisted:, I agree you view has a previous cause, but that has been changing: who was the best and maybe still is, the US national women figure skating champion :?:, and who is the current US national coach of women's volleyball :?:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:45 am
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
Of course, well Yao in NBA i mean.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:48 am
User avatarPosts: 2491Location: "Nothing is good nor bad; The thought is what makes it so."Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:17 pm
Yao in the nba is good because he is good enough to play in the nba and plus it will make scouts go to different countries to find the "next" Yao

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:26 am
the BEST players gotta run in the best comps to prove themselves.

Darn straight Yao gota be in the NBa. Infact, he should have come a couple years earlier, but better late than never.

Offline Profile