<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Poll & thoughts about "The Year of the Yao"

What did you think of the movie?

Great! I highly recommend it!
63%
[ 19 ] 63%

It was okay
33%
[ 10 ] 33%

Thumbs down
3%
[ 1 ] 3%

Total votes : 30
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:54 am
Posts: 1589Location: HoustonJoined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:06 am
just heard this morning on radio it will open in houston here on friday. has anyone seen it? and was it any good?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:14 pm
entertaining to say the least..............................some funny azz parts

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:13 pm
Posts: 3803Location: Bet on us!Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 am
clubyao has a sneek preview... with him on allstar game. Charles barkley talks there too.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:52 pm
Posts: 1589Location: HoustonJoined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:06 am
just went to see it. (i knew i was gonna see it anyway.) i'd give it a rating of 7 out of 10. a fairly good recap of yao's rookie year. quite some funny stuff, too. gives you a real sense of how much pressure and how many things on/off the court yao has had to go through.

recommend to anyone.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:32 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

I wonder when this film will be here in Hong Kong or China ???

Look like this is a MUST.

April 15, 2005, 8:49PM

Local moviegoers give Yao movie a thumbs up
By ANNE MARIE KILDAY

The sport has been used as a metaphor for love, ballet and the triumph of the human spirit.

Now, the story of Yao Ming's rookie year with the Houston Rockets has become a movie about world cooperation. Through basketball.

Moviegoers who saw "The Year of the Yao" on opening day at area theaters Friday almost universally gave it two thumbs up.

But they all, admittedly, are nuts about basketball.

Even at 7'6'', Yao has come to show that basketball is a sport played with the strength of the legs and the tips of the fingers, with quick turns and pirouettes, in the universal language known as "nothing but net."

Mara Blinachich, 24, who hasn't missed a Rockets game in years, said she "just had to be here" at the Angelika Film Center when the film opened.

"Like lot of fans, I had my doubts about Yao when he first got here...Of course, he's become a real team leader now," Blinachich said. "The move is also very emotional."

Friday was proclaimed "The Year of the Yao Day" in Houston by Mayor Bill White.

Councilmember Adrian Garcia presented that proclamation to Yao's interpreter and friend, Colin Pine, whose relationship with the towering center is the heart of the movie.

Jeromie Sequitin, caught the first screening of the movie after classes at Strake Jesuit High School.

"I thought it was a really good movie. It really is a lot about friendship," Sequitin said. "But it was the basketball that I liked. That was really exciting."

As Yao's friendship with Pine blossomed during that tough rookie year, the Chinese superstar found his footing on the hardwoods of the National Basketball Association.

Rosa Guerrero said that part of the movie "moved me to tears."

Dolores Dunham viewed the movie with family members who also are Rockets fans.

"Basketball is such a great sport, but that man had to, not only get the basket in there, but the hopes of his parents, the hopes of his school, and the hopes of China," Dunham said. "It was almost too much pressure."

Fayver Finke said the battle between Yao and former Los Angeles Laker Shaquille O'Neal also spotlighted the cultural journey from China to the tough world of professional sports in America.

"That whole sequence demonstrates the battle of the Rockets rookie joining the NBA," Finke said.

Yao, meanwhile, wasn't working Friday night, as the Rockets had the night off. The Houston premiere is taking place two weeks ahead of the rest of the nation.

anne.kilday@chron.com

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:49 am
Is Stevie Franchise and Mobley in there?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:45 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
P_Sa wrote:
Is Stevie Franchise and Mobley in there?

If you saw the preview, you'll know OF COURSE they are in the documentary.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 1027Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:06 am
um... just from the trailer... kinda gave me the feeling that Mobley were fooling Yao... I'm sure SF3 is being big brother to Yao, but Mobley... he always gave me this feeling that he's just using him in some way...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:29 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
Boys, if you think you have any sense of what Yao went through that year, you need to see this movie. I mean, we all fell in love with Yao because of his grace under pressure, but until you see behind-the-scenes of Yao's rookie year, you just can't grasp how tough it was for him. Not many people could have handled it.
I won't give away details, but I can't go without saying one thing... I cried for Colin!!! :lol: Oh, and it was really good to see all the old team again. I found myself wanting to wave at the screen when I saw the old faces! It was like "old home week"!
I was dissappointed at the turn-out, though. I thought it would be packed, but there was hardly anyone there! Maybe because it was the first weekend?
Definately four stars, A+, thumbs way, way up!!!!
When's it come out on DVD???
:D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:33 am
Philp Mushnick

May 1, 2005 -- YAO now cash cow. Doesn't much matter who is named this season's NBA MVP. The league's most valued player, by far, is Yao Ming.

The league's entertainment division is in the process of releasing a full-length, co-produced movie about Ming, "The Year of the Yao." It's supposed to be pretty good, too.

The movie will be converted from English to Chinese (and vice versa) so it can be seen in China, Ming's native country. There are 1.3 billion Chinese, give or take a hundred million. Need we draw any further pictures? Yao Ming. Rhymes with ka-ching.

Offline Profile