<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  The Year of the Yao documentary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:11 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Pleeeeeeease check your stuff first before you blah blah blah.......
:roll: :oops: :wink:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/hakeem_tribu ... diaLM.html

Even though Olajuwon played soccer and handball in his high school days, he was NEVER in the Nigeria national soccer team. He did play goalie for the soccer team at his high school, Muslim Teachers College in his first 2 years, and then transferred to the handball team.

The American you mentioned is Richard Mills - an American who travelled to Nigeria to coach basketball. He was named the head basketball coach of the Nigerian national sports coaching institute in the late 1970s and while in Nigeria changed his last name to "Olawale," which means "he returned home." Olawale was the first person to notice Hakeem's talents and to predict he would one day go to the United States to play basketball.
He named Hakeem the captain of the Nigerian national junior team and had him practice with the national team to improve his game. The guy who made reference to Guy Lewis to offer Hakeem the scholarship was Guy Lewis' personal friend Christopher Pond.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:32 am
still, likes be frank...
The adaption wasnt all THAT much for hakeem.

He came from a english speaking West African country (the same country that most nbaers come from). So culturally and ethnically it was very easy for Hakeem to fit in the nba.

I can understand how its much more harder for Yao to adapt into the nba. He doesnt speak good english, his asian and his personality isnt good for nba.
But overall, that is no longer an excuse - the ming man simply gots to play better.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:12 am
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
Chuck__187 wrote:
still, likes be frank...

He came from a english speaking West African country (the same country that most nbaers come from). So culturally and ethnically it was very easy for Hakeem to fit in the nba.

I can understand how its much more harder for Yao to adapt into the nba. He doesnt speak good english, his asian and his personality isnt good for nba.
But overall, that is no longer an excuse - the ming man simply gots to play better.

Add to the fact that Hakeem is black, just like 70% of NBA players. Unlike Yao, who stands out not just because he is 7'6" but more so because he is yellow.

Don't get me wrong. My all time favorite NBA player aside from MJ is Hakeem. But to hear bblock spew all that nonsense just to spite Yao...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:49 pm
let's get back on topic about how the dummy file was posted.

I just saw a clip on nba tv showing PIne and Yao at the airport when yao returned home to china. AHaha COlin looked so stressed, he said by to yao like 5 times and he looked like yao was his son going off to college or something.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Do you guys know where they show this documentary in the bay area?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:49 pm
Chuck__187 wrote:
still, likes be frank...

has anyone brought up the fact that the man played college ball too?? He didnt just come from nigeria and get drafted!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:11 pm
Damn, i never thought of looking at it that way, thanks.

Offline Profile WWW